News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 8

    Colombia had not been aware of her own importance in the international drug trade until the traffickers invaded the country’s highest political echelons through the back door, first with their increasing ability to corrupt and suborn, and then with their own ambitions. In 1982 Pablo Escobar had tried to find a place in the New Liberalism movement headed by Luis Carlos Galán, but Galán removed his name from the rolls and exposed him before a crowd of five thousand people in Medellin. A short while later Escobar was in the Chamber of Deputies as a representative of a marginal wing of the official Liberal party, but he had not forgotten the insult and unleashed an all-out war against the state, in particular against the New Liberalism. Rodrigo Lara Bonilla, who represented the New Liberalism as justice minister in the Belisario Betancur government, was murdered in a drive-by shooting on the streets of Bogotá. His successor, Enrique Parejo, was pursued all the way to Budapest by a hired assassin who shot him in the face with a pistol but did not kill him. On August 18, 1989, Luis Carlos Galán, who was protected by eighteen well-armed bodyguards, was machine-gunned on the main square in the municipality of Soacha, some ten kilometers from the presidential palace.

    The main reason for the war was the drug traffickers’ fear of extradition to the United States, where they could be tried for crimes committed there and receive extraordinarily harsh sentences, like the one given Carlos Lehder, a Colombian drug dealer who had been extradited to the United States in 1987 and sentenced to life imprisonment plus 130 years. This was possible because a treaty signed during the presidency of Julio César Turbay allowed the extradition of Colombian nationals for the first time. After the murder of Lara Bonilla, President Belisario Betancur applied its provisions with a series of summary extraditions. The traffickers—terrified by the long, worldwide reach of the United States—realized that the safest place for them was Colombia, and they went underground, fugitives inside their own country. The great irony was that their only alternative was to place themselves under the protection of the state to save their own skins. And so they attempted—by persuasion and by force—to obtain that protection by engaging in indiscriminate, merciless terrorism and, at the same time, by offering to surrender to the authorities and bring home and invest their capital in Colombia, on the sole condition that they not be extradited. Theirs was an authentic shadow power with a brand name—“The Extraditables”—and a slogan typical of Escobar: “We prefer a grave in Colombia to a cell in the United States.”

    President Betancur kept up the war. His successor, Virgilio Barco, intensified it. This was the situation in 1989 when César Gaviria emerged as a presidential candidate following the assassination of Luis Carlos Galán, whose campaign he had directed. In his own campaign, he defended extradition as an indispensable tool for strengthening the penal system, and announced an unprecedented strategy against the drug traffickers. It was a simple idea: Those who surrendered to the judges and confessed to some or all of their crimes could obtain non-extradition in return. But this idea, as formulated in the original decree, was not enough for the Extraditables. Through his lawyers, Escobar demanded that non-extradition be made unconditional, that confession and indictment not be obligatory, that the prison be invulnerable to attack, and that their families and followers be guaranteed protection. Holding terrorism in one hand and negotiation in the other, he began abducting journalists in order to twist the government’s arm and achieve his demands. In two months, eight had been kidnapped. The abduction of Maruja and Beatriz seemed to be one more in that ominous series.

    Villamizar thought this was the case as soon as he saw the bullet-riddled car. Later, in the crowd that invaded his house, he was struck by the absolute certainty that the lives of his wife and sister depended on what he could do to save them. Because this time, as never before, the war was being waged as an unavoidable personal challenge.

    Villamizar, in fact, was already a survivor. When he was a representative in the Chamber, he had achieved passage of the National Narcotics Statute in 1985, a time when there was no ordinary legislation against drug trafficking but only the scattershot decrees of a state of siege. Later, Luis Carlos Galán had told him to stop passage of a bill introduced in the Chamber by parliamentarians friendly to Escobar, which would have removed legislative support for the extradition treaty then in effect. It was nearly his death sentence. On October 22, 1986, two assassins in sweat-suits who pretended to be working out across from his house fired sub-machine guns at him as he was getting into his car. His escape was miraculous. One assailant was killed by the police, and his accomplices arrested, then released a few years later. No one took responsibility for the attempt, but no one had any doubt as to who had ordered it.

    Persuaded by Galán himself to leave Colombia for a while, Villamizar was named ambassador to Indonesia. After he had been there for a year, the U.S. security forces in Singapore captured a Colombian assassin traveling to Jakarta. It was never proved that he had been sent to kill Villamizar, but it was established that in the United States a fake death certificate had declared him dead.


    On the night that Maruja and Beatriz were abducted, Villamizar’s house was filled to overflowing. There were people in politics and the government, and the families of the two victims. Azeneth Velásquez, an art dealer and close friend of the Villamizars, who lived in the apartment above them, had assumed the duties of hostess, and all that was missing was music to make the evening seem like any other Friday night. It can’t be helped: In Colombia, any gathering of more than six people, regardless of class or the hour, is doomed to turn into a dance.

    By this time the entire family, scattered all over the world, had been informed. Alexandra, Maruja’s daughter by her first marriage, had just finished supper in a restaurant in Maicao, on the remote Guajira peninsula, when Javier Ayala gave her the news. The director of “Enfoque,” a popular Wednesday television program, she had gone to Guajira the day before to do a series of interviews. She ran to the hotel to call her family, but all the telephones at home were busy. By a lucky coincidence, on the previous Wednesday she had interviewed a psychiatrist who specialized in treating cases of clinical depression brought on by imprisonment in high-security institutions. When she heard the news in Maicao, she realized that the same therapy might be useful for kidnapping victims as well, and she returned to Bogotá to start to apply it, beginning with the next program.

    Gloria Pachón, Maruja’s sister, who was then Colombia’s representative to UNESCO, was awakened at two in the morning by Villamizar’s words: “I have something awful to tell you.” Maruja’s daughter Juana, who was vacationing in Paris, learned the news a moment later in the adjoining bedroom. Maruja’s son Nicolás, a twenty-seven-year-old musician and composer, was in New York when he was awakened by a phone call.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 8

    Colombia no había sido consciente de su importancia en el tráfico mundial de drogas mientras los narcos no irrumpieron en la alta política del país por la puerta de atrás, primero con su creciente poder de corrupción y soborno, y después con aspiraciones propias. Pablo Escobar había tratado de acomodarse en el movimiento de Luis Carlos Galán, en 1982, pero éste lo borró de sus listas y lo desenmascaró en Medellín ante una manifestación de cinco mil personas. Poco después llegó como suplente a la Cámara de Representantes por un ala marginal del liberalismo oficialista, pero no olvidó la afrenta, y desató una guerra a muerte contra el Estado, y en especial contra el Nuevo Liberalismo. Rodrigo Lara Bonilla, su representante como ministro de Justicia en el gobierno de Belisario Betancur, fue asesinado por un sicario motorizado en las calles de Bogotá. Su sucesor, Enrique Parejo, fue perseguido hasta Budapest por un asesino a sueldo que le disparó un tiro de pistola en la cara y no logró matarlo. El 18 de agosto de 1989, Luis Carlos Galán fue ametrallado en la plaza pública del municipio de Soacha a diez kilómetros del palacio presidencial y entre dieciocho guardaespaldas bien armados.

    El motivo principal de esa guerra era el terror de los narcotraficantes ante la posibilidad de ser extraditados a los Estados Unidos, donde podían juzgarlos por delitos cometidos allí, y someterlos a condenas descomunales. Entre ellas, una de peso pesado: a Carlos Lehder, un traficante colombiano extraditado en 1987 lo había condenado un tribunal de los Estados Unidos a cadena perpetua más ciento treinta años. Esto era posible por un tratado suscrito bajo el gobierno del presidente Julio César Turbay, en el cual se acordó por primera vez la extradición de nacionales. El presidente Belisario Betancur lo aplicó por primera vez cuando el asesinato de Lara Bonilla con una serie de extradiciones sumarias. Los narcos – aterrorizados por el largo brazo de los Estados Unidos en el mundo entero- se dieron cuenta de que no tenían otro lugar más seguro que Colombia y terminaron por ser prófugos clandestinos dentro de su propio país. La gran ironía era que no les quedaba más alternativa que ponerse bajo la protección del Estado para salvar el pellejo. De modo que trataron de conseguirla -por la razón y por la fuerza- con un terrorismo indiscriminado e inclemente, y al mismo tiempo con la propuesta de entregarse a la justicia y repatriar e invertir sus capitales en Colombia con la sola condición de no ser extraditados. Fue un verdadero contrapoder en las sombras con una marca empresarial -los Extraditables- y una divisa típica de Escobar: «Preferimos una tumba en Colombia a una celda en los Estados Unidos». Betancur mantuvo la guerra. Su sucesor, Virgilio Barco, la recrudeció. Ésa era la situación en 1989 cuando César Gavirla surgió como candidato presidencial después del asesinato de

    Luis Carlos Galán, de quien fue jefe de campaña. En la suya defendió la extradición como un instrumento indispensable para el fortalecimiento de la justicia, y anunció una estrategia novedosa contra el narcotráfico. Era una idea sencilla: quienes se entregaran a los jueces y confesaran algunos o todos sus delitos podían obtener como beneficio principal la no extradición. Sin embargo, tal como fue formulada en el decreto original, no era suficiente para los Extraditables. Escobar exigió a través de sus abogados que la no extradición fuera incondicional, que los requisitos de la confesión y la delación no fueran obligatorios, que la cárcel fuera invulnerable y se les dieran garantías de protección a sus familias y a sus secuaces. Para lograrlo -con el terrorismo en una mano y la negociación en la otra- emprendió una escalada de secuestros de periodistas para torcerle el brazo al gobierno. En dos meses habían secuestrado a ocho. De modo que el secuestro de Maruja y Beatriz parecía explicarse como otra vuelta de tuerca de aquella escalada fatídica.

    Villamizar lo sintió así desde que vio el automóvil acribillado. Más tarde, en medio del gentío que invadió la casa, lo asaltó la convicción absoluta de que las vidas de su esposa y su hermana dependían de lo que él fuera capaz de hacer para salvarlas. Pues esta vez, como nunca antes, la guerra estaba planteada como un duelo personal que era imposible eludir.

    Villamizar, de hecho, era ya un sobreviviente. Como representante a la Cámara había logrado que se aprobara el Estatuto Nacional de Estupefacientes en 1985, cuando no existía legislación ordinaria contra el narcotráfico sino decretos dispersos de estado de sitio. Más tarde, Luis Carlos Galán lo instruyó para que impidiera la aprobación de un proyecto de ley que parlamentarios amigos de Escobar presentaron en la Cámara con el propósito de quitar el apoyo legislativo al tratado de extradición vigente. Fue su sentencia de muerte. El 22 de octubre de 1986 dos sicarios en sudadera que fingían hacer gimnasia frente a su casa le dispararon dos ráfagas de metralla cuando entraba en su automóvil. Escapó de milagro.

    Uno de los atacantes fue muerto por la policía, y sus cómplices detenidos, y pocos años después salieron libres. Nadie pagó el atentado, pero tampoco nadie puso en duda quién lo había ordenado.

    Convencido por el propio Galán de que se alejara de Colombia por un tiempo, Villamizar fue nombrado embajador en Indonesia. Un año después de estar allí, los servicios de seguridad de los Estados Unidos en Singapur capturaron a un sicario colombiano que iba rumbo a Yakarta. No quedó claro si había sido enviado para matar a Villamizar, pero se estableció que figuraba como muerto en los Estados Unidos por un certificado de defunción que resultó ser falso.

    La noche del secuestro de Maruja y Beatriz la casa de Villamizar estaba a reventar. Llegaba gente de la política y del gobierno, y las familias de ambas secuestradas. Azeneth Velázquez, marchante de arte y gran amiga de los Villamizar, que vivía en el piso de arriba, había asumido el cargo de anfitriona, y sólo faltaba la música para que fuera igual a cualquier noche de viernes. Es inevitable: en Colombia, toda reunión de más de seis, de cualquier clase y a cualquier hora, está condenada a convertirse en baile.

    A esa hora toda la familia dispersa por el mundo estaba ya informada. Alexandra, la hija de Maruja en su primer matrimonio, acababa de cenar en un restaurante de Maicao -en la remota península de la Guajira cuando Javier Ayala dio la noticia. Era la directora de Enfoque, un popular programa de los miércoles en televisión, y había llegado el día anterior a la Guajira para hacer una serie de entrevistas. Corrió al hotel para comunicarse con la familia, pero los teléfonos de la casa estaban ocupados. El miércoles anterior, por una coincidencia afortunada, había entrevistado a un siquiatra especialista en casos clínicos provocados por cárceles de alta seguridad. Desde que oyó la noticia en Maicao se dio cuenta de que la misma terapia podía ser útil para los secuestrados y regresó a Bogotá para ponerla en práctica desde el programa siguiente.

    Gloria Pachón -la hermana de Maruja, que era entonces embajadora de Colombia ante la UNESCO- fue despertada a las dos de la mañana por una frase de Villamizar: «Le tengo una noticia perra». Juana, hija de Maruja, que estaba de vacaciones en París, lo supo un momento después en el dormitorio contiguo. Nicolás, músico y compositor de veintisiete años, fue despertado en Nueva York.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb