News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 75 (The Last)


    AT NINE O’CLOCK the next morning, as planned, Villamizar landed in Medellín with less than an hour’s sleep. The night had been a boisterous celebration of resurrection. At four in the morning, when they were finally alone in the apartment, Maruja and he were so elated by the day’s events that they stayed in the living room until dawn exchanging belated news. At the La Loma farm, he was welcomed with the usual banquet, but this time baptized with the champagne of liberation. It was a brief respite, however, because now the one in a hurry was Pablo Escobar, hiding somewhere in the world without the protection of the hostages. His new emissary was very tall and loquacious, a pure blond with a long golden mustache who was called the Monkey and had full authority to negotiate the surrender.

    By order of President César Gaviria, the entire legal debate with Escobar’s lawyers had been carried out through Dr. Carlos Eduardo Mejía, who reported to the justice minister. For the physical surrender, Mejía would represent Rafael Pardo for the government’s side, and the other side would be represented by Jorge Luis Ochoa, the Monkey, and Escobar himself from the shadows. Villamizar continued to be an active intermediary with the government, and Father García Herreros, who was a moral guarantor for Escobar, would remain available in the event of a major crisis.

    Escobar’s haste in having Villamizar come to Medellín the day after Maruja’s release gave the impression that his surrender would be immediate, but it was soon evident that for him there were still a few diversionary tactics remaining. Everyone’s greatest concern, Villamizar more than anyone, was that nothing happen to Escobar before he turned himself in. They had reason to worry: Villamizar knew that Escobar, or his survivors, would take it out of his hide if they even suspected him of not keeping his word. Escobar himself broke the ice when he telephoned him at La Loma and said without any preamble:

    “Dr. Villa, are you happy?”

    Villamizar had never seen or heard him, and he was struck by the absolute serenity of the voice that had no trace of his mythical aura. “I thank you for coming,” Escobar continued without waiting for a reply, his earthly state revealed by his harsh shantytown diction. “You’re a man of your word and I knew you wouldn’t fail me.” And then he came to the point:

    “Let’s start to arrange how I’ll turn myself in.”

    In reality, Escobar already knew how he was going to turn himself in, but perhaps he wanted to review it again with a man in whom he had placed all his confidence. His lawyers and the director of Criminal Investigation, at times face-to-face and at times through the regional director, and always in coordination with the justice minister, had discussed every last detail of the surrender. When the legal questions stemming from each of their distinct interpretations of the presidential decrees had been clarified, the issues had been reduced to three: the prison, the staffing of the prison, and the role of the police and the army.

    The prison—in the former Rehabilitation Center for Drug Addicts in Envigado—was almost finished. Villamizar and the Monkey visited it at Escobar’s request on the day following the release of Maruja and Pacho Santos. Piles of rubble in the corners and the devastating effects of that year’s heavy rains gave it a somewhat depressing appearance. The technical problems of security had been resolved. There was a double fence, 2.8 meters high, with fifteen rows of five-thousand-volt electrified barbed wire and seven watch towers, in addition to the two that guarded the entrance. These two installations would be further reinforced, as much to keep Escobar from escaping as to prevent anyone from killing him.

    The only point that Villamizar found to criticize was an Italian-tiled bathroom in the room intended for Escobar, and he recommended changing it—and it was changed—to more sober decoration. The conclusion of his report was even more sober: “It seemed to me a very prisonlike prison.” In fact, the folkloric splendor that would eventually shock the nation and compromise the government’s prestige came later, from the inside, with an inconceivable program of bribery and intimidation.

    Escobar asked Villamizar for a clean telephone number in Bogotá on which they could discuss the details of his physical surrender, and Villamizar gave him the number of his upstairs neighbor, Aseneth Velásquez. He thought no phone could be safer than hers, called at all hours of the day and night by writers and artists, lunatic enough to unhinge the strongest-minded. The formula was simple and innocuous: An anonymous voice would call Villamizar’s house and say, “In fifteen minutes, Doctor.” Villamizar would go upstairs to Aseneth’s apartment and Pablo Escobar himself would call a quarter of an hour later. On one occasion he was delayed in the elevator and Aseneth answered the phone. A raw Medellínese voice asked for Dr. Villamizar.

    “He doesn’t live here,” said Aseneth.

    “Don’t worry about that,” said the voice with amusement. “He’s on his way up.”

    The person speaking was Pablo Escobar, live and direct, but Aseneth will know that only if she happens to read this book, for on that day Villamizar tried to tell her out of basic loyalty, and she—who is no fool—covered her ears.

    “I don’t want to know anything about anything,” she said. “Do whatever you want in my house but don’t tell me about it.”

    By this time Villamizar was traveling to Medellín several times a week. From the Hotel Intercontinental he would call María Lía, and she would send a car to take him to La Loma. On one of his early trips Maruja had gone with him to thank the Ochoas for their help. At lunch the question of her emerald and diamond ring came up, for it had not been returned to her on the night she was released. Villamizar had also mentioned it to the Ochoas, and they had sent a message to Escobar, but he did not reply. The Monkey, who was present, suggested giving her a new one, but Villamizar explained that Maruja wanted the ring for sentimental reasons, not for its monetary value. The Monkey promised to take the problem to Escobar.

    Escobar’s first call to Aseneth’s house had to do with a “God’s Minute” on which Father García Herreros accused him of being an unrepentant pornographer, and warned him to return to God’s path. No one could understand his about-face. Escobar thought that if the priest had turned against him it must have been for a very significant reason, and he made his surrender conditional on an immediate public explanation. The worst thing for him was that his men had agreed to turn themselves in because of the faith they had in the father’s word. Villamizar brought him to La Loma, and there the father made all kinds of explanations to Escobar by telephone. According to these, when the program was recorded an editing error made him say what in fact he had never said. Escobar taped the conversation, played it for his troops, and averted a crisis.

    But there was still more. The government insisted on combined army and national guard patrols for the exterior of the prison, on cutting down the adjoining woods to make a firing range, and on its right to have the guards selected from a list compiled by a tripartite commission representing the central government, the municipality of Envigado, and the Prosecutor General’s Office, since the prison was both municipal and national. Escobar opposed having guards close by because his enemies could murder him in the prison. He opposed combined patrols because—his lawyers claimed—no military forces were permitted inside a jail, according to the Law on Prisons. He opposed cutting down the nearby forest because it would permit helicopter landings and because he assumed a firing range was an area where prisoners would be the targets, until he was convinced that in military terms, a firing range is nothing more than a field with good visibility. And that, in fact, was the great advantage of the Rehabilitation Center—for the government and for the prisoners—because from anywhere in the building one had a clear view of the valley and the mountains, allowing more than enough time to respond to an attack. Then, at the last minute, the national director of Criminal Investigation wanted to build a fortified wall around the prison in addition to the barbed-wire fence. Escobar was furious.

    On Thursday, May 30, El Espectador published a report—attributed to very reliable official sources—on the terms for surrender allegedly set by Escobar at a meeting between his lawyers and government spokesmen. The most sensational of these— according to the article—was the exile of General Maza Márquez and the dismissals of General Miguel Gómez Padilla, commander of the National Police, and General Octavio Vargas Silva, commander of the Police Office of Judicial Investigation (DIJIN).


    PRESIDENT GAVIRIA met with General Maza Márquez in his office to clarify the origin of the report, which persons connected to the government had attributed to him. The interview lasted for half an hour, and knowing both men, it is impossible to imagine which of the two was more impassive. The general, in his soft, slow baritone, gave a detailed account of his inquiries into the case. The president listened in absolute silence. Twenty minutes later they said goodbye. The next day, the general sent the president an official six-page letter that repeated in minute detail what he had said, and documented their conversation.

    According to his investigations—the letter said—the source of the report was Martha Nieves Ochoa, who had given it days before as an exclusive to the legal reporters at El Tiempo—the only ones who had it—and they could not understand how it had been published first in El Espectador. The general stated that he was a fervent supporter of Pablo Escobar’s surrender. He reiterated his loyalty to his principles, obligations, and duties, and concluded: “For reasons known to you, Mr. President, many persons and entities are intent upon destabilizing my career, perhaps with the aim of placing me in a situation of risk that will allow them to carry out their plans against me.”

    Martha Nieves Ochoa denied being the source of the article, and did not speak of the matter again. Three months later, however—when Escobar was already in prison—Fabio Villegas, the secretary general to the president, asked General Maza to his office on behalf of the president, invited him into the Blue Room and, walking from one end to the other as if he were out for a Sunday stroll, communicated the president’s decision to have him retire. Maza left convinced that this was evidence of an agreement with Escobar that the government had denied. In his words, “I was negotiated.”

    In any case, before this occurred, Escobar had let Maza know that the war between them had ended, that he had forgotten everything and was serious about his surrender: He was stopping the attacks, disbanding his men, and turning in his dynamite. As proof he sent him a list of hiding places for seven hundred kilos of explosives. Later, from prison, he would continue to disclose to the brigade in Medellín a series of caches totaling two tons. But Maza never trusted him.

    Impatient over the delay in his surrender, the government appointed a man from Boyacá—Luis Jorge Pataquiva Silva—as director of the prison instead of an Antioquian, as well as twenty national guards from various departments, none from Antioquia. “In any event,” said Villamizar, “if they want to bribe someone it makes no difference if he’s from Antioquia or somewhere else.” Escobar, weary of all the twisting and turning, barely discussed it. In the end it was agreed that the army and not the police would guard the entrance, and that exceptional measures would be taken to ease Escobar’s fear that his food in prison might be poisoned.

    The National Board of Prisons, on the other hand, adopted the same regulations regarding visits that applied to the Ochoa brothers in the maximum security block of Itagüí prison. The time for waking up was seven in the morning; the time for being confined and placed under lock and key in one’s cell was eight in the evening. Escobar and his prison mates could have women visitors every Sunday, from eight in the morning until two in the afternoon; men could visit on Saturdays, and minors on the first and third Sunday of every month.

    In the middle of the night on June 9, troops from the battalion of military police in Medellín relieved the cavalry unit that was guarding the sector, began to assemble an impressive security array, cleared the surrounding mountains of people who did not live in the area, and assumed total control of earth and heaven. There were no more excuses. Villamizar let Escobar know—with utmost sincerity—that he was grateful to him for Maruja’s release, but was not prepared to take any more risks just so he could keep putting off his surrender. And he sent him a serious message: “From now on I’m not responsible.” Escobar made his decision in two days, with one final condition: that the prosecutor general also be present at the surrender.

    An unexpected problem could have caused a new delay: Escobar did not have an official identification document that would prove he was in fact the man giving himself up. One of his lawyers raised the issue with the government and requested official citizenship papers for him, not taking into account that Escobar, hunted by every armed force in the country, would have to go in person to the appropriate office of the Civil Registry. The emergency solution was that he would identify himself with his fingerprints and an old identification card he had once used and had notarized, declaring at the same time that he could not produce the card because it had been lost.


    THE MONKEY woke Villamizar when he phoned at midnight on June 18 to tell him to go upstairs to take an urgent call. It was very late, but Aseneth’s apartment resembled a happy inferno, with the accordion of Egidio Cuadrado and his vallenatos combo. Villamizar had to elbow his way through a frenetic jungle of elite cultural gossip. Aseneth, in typical fashion, blocked his path.

    “I know now who’s calling you,” she said. “Be careful, because one false step and they’ll have your balls.”

    She let him into her bedroom just as the phone rang. In the uproar that filled the house, Villamizar could barely make out what was most essential:

    “Ready: Come to Medellín first thing tomorrow.”

    RAFAEL PARDO arranged for a Civil Aeronautics plane to be available at seven o’clock for the official committee that would witness the surrender. Villamizar, fearful of leaks, was at Father García Herreros’s house by five. He found him in the oratory, the inevitable poncho over his cassock, just as he finished saying mass.

    “Well, Father, let’s go,” he said. “We’re flying to Medellín because Escobar’s ready to surrender.”

    Traveling in the plane with them were Fernando GARCÍA Herreros, one of the father’s nephews who acted as his occasional assistant; Jaime Vázquez, from the Council on Public Information; Dr. Carlos Gustavo Arrieta, the prosecutor general for the republic; and Dr. Jaime Córdoba Triviño, the special prosecutor for human rights. At Olaya Herrera airport, in the center of Medellín, María Lía and Martha Nieves Ochoa were waiting for them.

    The official committee was taken to the capitol building of the department of Antioquia. Villamizar and the father went to María Lía’s apartment to have breakfast while last- minute arrangements were made for the surrender. There he learned that Escobar was already on his way, traveling by car and on foot to avoid the frequent police checkpoints. He was an expert in those evasive strategies.

    Once again the father’s nerves were on edge. One of his contact lenses fell out; he stepped on it, and was so exasperated that Martha Nieves had to take him to San Ignacio Opticians, where they solved his problem with a pair of normal glasses. The city teemed with rigorous checkpoints, and they were stopped at almost all of them, not to be searched but so the men could thank the good father for everything he was doing for Medellín. In that city where everything was possible, the best-kept secret in the world was already public knowledge.

    The Monkey came to María Lía’s apartment at two-thirty, dressed for a day in the country with a light jacket and soft-soled shoes.

    “Ready,” he said to Villamizar. “Let’s go to the capitol building. You take your car and I’ll take mine.”

    He drove off alone. María Lía managed to drive Villamizar, Father García Herreros, and Martha Nieves in her car. The two men got out at the capitol building. The women waited outside. The Monkey, no longer a cold, efficient technician, was trying to hide inside his own skin. He put on dark glasses and a golfer’s hat, and kept in the background, behind Villamizar. Someone who saw him walking in with the priest rushed to telephone Rafael Pardo to say that Escobar—very blond, very tall and elegant—had just surrendered at the capitol building.

    As they were preparing to leave, the Monkey received a call on his two-way radio informing him that a plane was heading for the airspace over the city. It was a military ambulance carrying several soldiers wounded in a clash with guerrillas in Urabá. It was getting late and the authorities were troubled, because the helicopters could not fly as dusk was falling, and delaying the surrender until the next day would be calamitous. Villamizar called Rafael Pardo, who rerouted the flight and repeated his categorical order that the sky be kept clear. As he waited for this to be settled, he wrote in his personal diary: “Not even birds will fly over Medellín today.”

    The first helicopter—a six-passenger Bell 206—took off from the roof of the capitol building a little after three, with the prosecutor general and Jaime Vázquez, Fernando García Herreros, and Luis Alirio Calle, a radio journalist whose enormous popularity was one more guarantee for Pablo Escobar’s peace of mind. A security official would show the pilot the direct route to the prison.

    The second helicopter—a twelve-passenger Bell 412—took off ten minutes later, when the Monkey received the order on his two-way radio. Villamizar flew with him and the father. As soon as they had taken off, they heard a report on the radio that the government’s position had suffered a defeat in the Constituent Assembly, where non-extradition of nationals had just been approved by a vote of fifty-one to thirteen, with five abstentions, in a preliminary ballot that would be ratified later. Though there were no indications it had been planned, it was almost childish not to think Escobar had known ahead of time and had waited for that precise moment to surrender.

    The pilots followed the Monkey’s directions to the site where they would pick up Pablo Escobar and take him to prison. It was a very short flight, and at so low an altitude the directions seemed the kind you would give in a car: Take Eighth, keep going, turn right, more, a little more, to the park, that’s it. Behind a grove of trees there suddenly appeared a splendid mansion surrounded by the bright colors of tropical flowers, with a soccer field as smooth as an enormous billiard table in the middle of El Poblado’s traffic.

    “Put it down over there,” the Monkey said, pointing. “Don’t turn off the engine.”

    Villamizar did not realize until they were right over the house that at least thirty armed men were waiting all around the field. When the helicopter landed on the grass, some fifteen bodyguards moved away from the group and walked uneasily to the helicopter in a circle around a man who was in no way inconspicuous. He had hair down to his shoulders, a very thick, rough-looking black beard that reached to his chest, and skin browned and weathered by a desert sun. He was thick-set, wore tennis shoes and a light-blue cotton jacket, and had an easy walk and a chilling calm. Villamizar knew who he was at first sight only because he was different from all the other men he had ever seen in his life.

    After saying goodbye to the nearest bodyguards with a series of powerful, rapid embraces, Escobar indicated to two of them that they should climb in the other side of the helicopter. They were Mugre and Otto, two of the men closest to him. Then he climbed in, paying no attention to the blades turning at half-speed. The first man he greeted before he sat down was Villamizar. He extended his warm, well-manicured hand and asked with no change in his voice:

    “How are you, Dr. Villamizar?”

    “How’s it going, Pablo?” he replied.

    Then Escobar turned to Father García Herreros with an amiable smile and thanked him for everything. He sat next to his two bodyguards, and only then did he seem to realize that the Monkey was there. Perhaps he had expected him only to give directions to Villamizar without getting into the helicopter.

    “And you,” Escobar said, “in the middle of this right to the end.”

    Nobody could tell if he was praising or berating him, but his tone was cordial. The Monkey, as confused as everyone else, shook his head and smiled.

    “Ah, Chief!”

    Then, in a kind of revelation, it occurred to Villamizar that Escobar was a much more dangerous man than anyone supposed, because there was something supernatural in his serenity and self-possession. The Monkey tried to close the door on his side but did not know how and the co-pilot had to do it. In the emotion of the moment, no one had thought to give any orders. The pilot, tense at the controls, asked a question:

    “Do we take off now?”

    Then Escobar let slip the only sign of his repressed anxiety. He gave a quick order: “What do you think? Move it! Move it!”

    When the helicopter lifted off from the grass, he asked Villamizar: “Everything’s fine! Isn’t it, Doctor?” Villamizar, not turning around to look at him, answered with all his heart: “Everything’s perfect.” And that was all, because the flight was over. The helicopter flew the remaining distance almost grazing the trees, and came down on the prison soccer field—rock-strewn, its goalposts broken—next to the first helicopter, which had arrived a quarter of an hour earlier. The trip from the residence had taken less than fifteen minutes.

    The next two minutes, however, were the most dramatic of all. Escobar tried to get out first, as soon as the door was opened, and found himself surrounded by the prison guards: some fifty tense, fairly bewildered men in blue uniforms who were aiming their weapons at him. Escobar gave a start, lost his control for a moment, and in a voice heavy with fearsome authority he roared:

    “Lower your weapons, damn it!”

    By the time the head of the guards gave the same order, Escobar’s command had already been obeyed. Escobar and his companions walked the two hundred meters to the house where the prison officials, the members of the official delegation, and the first group of Escobar’s men, who had come overland to surrender with him, were all waiting. Also present were Escobar’s wife and his mother, who was very pale and on the verge of tears.

    As he passed he gave her an affectionate little pat on the shoulder and said: “Take it easy, Ma.” The director of the prison came out to meet him, his hand extended.

    “Señor Escobar,” he introduced himself. “I’m Luis Jorge Pataquiva.”

    Escobar shook his hand. Then he raised his left pant leg and took out the pistol he was carrying in an ankle holster. It was a magnificent weapon: a Sig Sauer 9mm with a gold monogram inlaid on the mother-of-pearl handle. Escobar did not remove the clip but took out the bullets one by one and tossed them to the ground.

    It was a somewhat theatrical gesture that seemed rehearsed, and it had its intended effect as a show of confidence in the warden whose appointment had caused so much concern. The following day it was reported that when he turned in his pistol Escobar had said to Pataquiva: “For peace in Colombia.” No witness remembers this, least of all Villamizar, who was still dazzled by the beauty of the weapon.

    Escobar greeted everyone. The special prosecutor held on to his hand as he said: “I am here, Señor Escobar, to make certain your rights are respected.” Escobar thanked him with special deference. Then he took Villamizar’s arm.

    “Let’s go, Doctor,” he said. “You and I have a lot to talk about.”

    He led him to the end of the outside gallery, and they chatted there for about ten minutes, leaning against the railing, their backs to everyone. Escobar began by thanking him in formal terms. Then, with his awesome calm, he expressed regret for the suffering he had caused Villamizar and his family, but asked him to understand that the war had been very hard on both sides. Villamizar did not miss this opportunity to solve three great mysteries in his life: why they had killed Luis Carlos Galán, why Escobar had tried to kill him, and why he had abducted Maruja and Beatriz.

    Escobar denied all responsibility for the first crime. “The fact is that everybody wanted to kill Dr. Galán,” he said. He admitted being present at the discussions when the attack was decided, but denied taking part or having anything to do with what happened. “A lot of people were involved in that,” he said. “I didn’t even like the idea because I knew what would happen if they killed him, but once the decision was made I couldn’t oppose it. Please tell Doña Gloria that for me.”

    As for the second, he was very explicit: A group of friends in congress had convinced him that Villamizar was uncontrollable and stubborn and had to be stopped somehow before he succeeded in having extradition approved. “Besides,” he said, “in that war we were fighting, just a rumor could get you killed. But now that I know you, Dr. Villamizar, thank God nothing happened to you.”

    As for Maruja’s abduction, his explanation was simplistic. “I was kidnapping people to get something and I didn’t get it, nobody was talking to me, nobody was paying attention, so I went after doña Maruja to see if that would work.” He had no other reasons, but did drift into a long commentary about how he had gotten to know Villamizar over the course of the negotiations until he became convinced he was a serious, brave man whose word was as good as gold, and for that he pledged his eternal gratitude. “I know you and I can’t be friends,” he said. But Villamizar could be sure that nothing would happen to him or anybody in his family again.

    “Who knows how long I’ll be here,” he said, “but I still have a lot of friends, so if any of you feels unsafe, if anybody tries to give you a hard time, you let me know and that’ll be the end of it. You met your obligations to me, and I thank you and will do the same for you. You have my word of honor.”

    Before they said goodbye, Escobar asked Villamizar, as a final favor, to try to calm his mother and wife, who were both on the verge of hysteria. Villamizar did, without much hope of success, since both were convinced that the entire ceremony was nothing but a sinister trick on the part of the government to murder Escobar in prison. Finally Villamizar went into the director’s office and dialed 284 33 00, the number of the presidential palace, which he knew by heart, and asked them to find Rafael Pardo no matter where he might be.

    He was in the office of Mauricio Vargas, the press adviser, who answered the phone and passed Pardo the receiver without saying a word. Pardo recognized the grave, quiet voice, but this time it had a glowing aura.

    “Dr. Pardo,” said Villamizar, “I’m here with Escobar in prison.”

    Pardo—perhaps for the first time in his life—heard the news without passing it through the filter of doubt.

    “How wonderful!” he said.

    He made a rapid remark that Mauricio Vargas did not even try to interpret, hung up the phone, and walked into the president’s office without knocking. Vargas, who is a born reporter twenty-four hours a day, suspected that Pardo’s hurry, and the amount of time he spent in the office, meant that something important had happened. His nervous excitement could not tolerate a wait of more than five minutes. He went into the president’s office without being announced, and found him laughing out loud at something Pardo had just said. Then he heard the news. Mauricio thought with pleasure about the army of journalists who would burst into his office any minute now, and he looked at his watch. It was 4:30 in the afternoon. Two months later, Rafael Pardo would be the first civilian named defense minister after fifty years of military ministers.


    PABLO EMILIO ESCOBAR GAVIRIA had turned forty-one in December. According to the medical examination required when he entered prison, his state of health was that of “a young man in normal physical and mental condition.” The only unusual observation was congestion in the nasal mucous membranes and something that looked like a plastic surgery scar on his nose, but he said he had been injured as a boy during a soccer game.

    The document of voluntary surrender was signed by the national and regional directors of Criminal Investigation, and the special prosecutor for human rights. Escobar endorsed his signature with his thumbprint and the number of his lost identification card: 8.345.766, Envigado. The secretary, Carlos Alberto Bravo, added at the bottom of the document: “Having affixed his signature to this document, Señor Pablo Emilio Escobar requested that Dr. Alberto Villamizar Cárdenas also affix his signature to same, said signature appearing below.” Villamizar signed, though he was never told in what capacity.

    When this process had been completed, Pablo Escobar took his leave of everyone and walked into the cell where he would live as involved as ever in his business affairs, and also have the power of the state protecting his domestic tranquillity and security. Starting the next day, however, the very prisonlike prison described by Villamizar began to be transformed into a five-star hacienda with all kinds of luxuries, sports installations, and facilities for parties and pleasures, built with first-class materials brought in gradually in the false bottom of a supply van. When the government learned about the scandal 299 days later, it decided to transfer Escobar to another prison with no prior announcement. Just as incredible as the government’s needing a year to find out what was going on was the fact that Escobar bribed a sergeant and two terrified soldiers with a plate of food and escaped on foot with his bodyguards through the nearby woods, under the noses of the functionaries and troops responsible for the transfer.

    It was his death sentence. According to his subsequent statement, the government’s action had been so strange and precipitous that he did not think they were really going to transfer him but kill him or turn him over to the United States. When he realized the enormity of his error, he undertook two parallel campaigns to have the government repeat the favor of imprisoning him: the greatest terrorist bombing offensive in the history of the country, and his offer to surrender without conditions of any kind. The government never acknowledged his proposals; the country did not succumb to the terror of the car bombs, and the police offensive reached unsustainable proportions.

    The world had changed for Escobar. Those who could have helped him save his life again had no desire or reason to. Father García Herreros died of kidney failure on November 24, 1992, and Paulina—with no job and no savings—retired so far into a peaceful autumn with her children and good memories that today no one at “God’s Word” even mentions her. Alberto Villamizar, named ambassador to Holland, received several messages from Escobar, but it was too late now for everything. His immense fortune, estimated at 3 billion dollars, was for the most part drained by the cost of the war or spent disbanding the cartel. His family found no place in the world where they could sleep without nightmares. Having become the biggest prey in our history, Escobar could not stay more than six hours in one spot, and in his crazed flight he left behind him a trail of dead innocents, and his own bodyguards murdered, captured, or gone over to the forces of his enemies. His security services, and even his own almost animal instinct for survival, lost the sharp edge of former days.

    On December 2, 1993—one day after his forty-fourth birthday—he could not resist the temptation of talking on the phone with his son Juan Pablo who, with his mother and younger sister, had just returned to Bogotá following Germany’s refusal to admit them. Juan Pablo, who was now more alert than his father, warned him after two minutes not to talk anymore because the police would trace the call. Escobar,—whose devotion to his family was proverbial—, ignored him. By this time the trace had established the exact phone in the Los Olivos district in Medellín that he was using. At 3:15 in the afternoon, an inconspicuous group of twenty-three special plainclothes police cordoned off” the area, took over the house, and began to force the door to the second floor. Escobar heard them. “I’m hanging up,” he said to his son on the telephone, “because something funny’s going on here.” Those were his last words.


    VILLAMIZAR SPENT the night of the surrender in the noisiest, most dangerous clubs in the city, drinking man-size glasses of aguardiente with Escobar’s bodyguards. The Monkey, drunk as a lord, told anyone who would listen that Dr. Villamizar was the only person the Chief had ever apologized to. At two in the morning he stood up and with no preliminaries said goodbye with a wave of his hand.

    “So long, Dr. Villamizar,” he said. “I have to disappear now, and we may never see each other again. It was a pleasure knowing you.”

    Villamizar, besotted with drinks, was dropped off at La Loma at dawn. In the afternoon, the only topic of conversation on the plane to Bogotá was Pablo Escobar’s surrender. Villamizar was one of the best-known men in the country that day, but no one recognized him in the crowded airports. The newspapers had indicated his presence at the prison but had published no photographs, and the real extent of his decisive participation in the entire capitulation process seemed destined for the shadows of secret glories.

    Back home that afternoon, he realized that daily life was returning to normal. Andrés was studying in his room. Maruja was waging a difficult, silent war against her phantoms in order to become herself again. The Tang Dynasty horse was back in its usual place, between her prized mementos of Indonesia and her antiquities from half the world, rearing its front legs on the sacred table where she wanted it to be, in the corner where she dreamed of seeing it during the interminable nights of her captivity. She had returned to her offices at FOCINE in the same car—the bullet scars on the windows erased—from which she had been abducted, with a new, grateful driver in the dead chauffeur’s seat. In less than two years she would be named education minister.

    Villamizar, with no job and no desire to have one, with the bad taste of politics in his mouth, chose to rest for a time in his own way, making small household repairs, taking his leisure sip by sip with old drinking companions, doing the shopping himself so that he and his friends could enjoy the pleasures of the local cuisine. It was the perfect frame of mind for reading in the afternoon and growing a beard. One Sunday at lunch, when the mists of memory had already begun to rarefy the past, someone knocked at the door. They thought Andrés had forgotten his keys again. The servants had the day off, and Villamizar opened the door. A young man in a sports jacket handed him a small package wrapped in gift paper and tied with a gold ribbon, and then disappeared down the stairs without saying a word or giving him time to ask any questions. Villamizar thought it might be a bomb. In an instant he was shuddering with the nausea of the abduction, but he untied the bow and un-wrapped the package with his fingertips, away from the dining room where Maruja was waiting for him. It was a case made of imitation leather, and inside the case, nestled in satin, was the ring they had taken from Maruja on the night she was abducted. One diamond chip was missing, but it was the same ring.

    Maruja was stunned. She put it on, and realized she was recovering her health faster than she had imagined because now it fit her finger. “How incredible!” she said with a hopeful sigh. “It looked like all had happened for someone to write a book.”

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 75 (El último)


    A las nueve de la mañana del día siguiente, como estaba acordado, Villamizar desembarcó en Medellín sin haber dormido una hora completa. Había sido una parranda de resurrección. A las cuatro de la madrugada, cuando lograron quedarse solos en el apartamento, Maruja y él estaban tan excitados por la jornada que permanecieron en la sala intercambiando recuerdos atrasados hasta el amanecer. En la hacienda de La Loma lo recibieron con el banquete de siempre, pero ahora bautizado con la champaña de la liberación. Fue un recreo breve, sin embargo, porque entonces era Pablo Escobar quien tenía más prisa, escondido en algún lugar del mundo sin el escudo de los rehenes. Su nuevo emisario era un hombre muy alto, locuaz, rubio puro y de largos bigotes dorados, al que llamaban el Mono, y contaba con plenos poderes para las negociaciones de la entrega.

    Por disposición del presidente César Gaviria, todo el proceso de debate jurídico con los abogados de Escobar se había llevado a cabo a través del doctor Carlos Eduardo Mejía, y con conocimiento del ministro de Justicia. Para la entrega física, Mejía actuaría de acuerdo con Rafael Pardo, por el lado del gobierno, y por el otro lado actuarían Jorge Luis Ochoa, el Mono y el mismo Escobar desde las sombras. Villamizar seguía siendo un intermediario activo con el gobierno, y el padre García Herreros, que era un garante moral para Escobar, se mantendría disponible para los tropiezos de mayor urgencia.

    La prisa de Escobar para que Villamizar estuviera en Medellín al día siguiente de la liberación de Maruja había hecho pensar que la entrega sería inmediata, pero pronto se vio que no, pues para él faltaban todavía algunos trámites de distracción. La mayor preocupación de todos, y de Villamizar más que de nadie, era que a Escobar no le pasara nada antes de la entrega. No era para menos: Villamizar sabía que Escobar, o sus sobrevivientes, le habrían hecho pagar con el pellejo la mínima sospecha de que hubiera faltado a su palabra. El hielo lo rompió el mismo Escobar cuando lo llamó por teléfono a La Loma y lo saludó sin preludios:

    -Doctor Villa, ¿está contento?

    Villamizar no lo había visto ni oído nunca, y lo impresionó la absoluta tranquilidad de la voz sin el mínimo rastro de su aureola mítica. «Le agradezco que haya venido –prosiguió Escobar sin esperar la respuesta, con su condición terrestre bien sustentada por su áspera dicción de los tugurios-. Usted es un hombre de palabra y no me podía fallar.» Y enseguida entró en materia:

    -Empecemos a arreglar cómo es que voy a entregarme.

    En realidad, Escobar sabía ya cómo iba a entregarse pero tal vez quería hacer un repaso completo con un hombre en el cual tenía depositada entonces toda su confianza. Sus abogados y el director de Instrucción Criminal, a veces de manera directa y a veces por intermedio de la directora regional, pero siempre en coordinación con el ministro de Justicia, habían discutido todos y cada uno de los detalles de la entrega. Aclarados los temas jurídicos derivados de las distintas interpretaciones que cada quien hacía de los decretos presidenciales, los temas se habían reducido a tres: la cárcel, el personal de la cárcel y el papel de la policía y el ejército.

    La cárcel -en el antiguo Centro de Rehabilitación de Drogadictos de Envigado- estaba a punto de terminarse. Villamizar y el Mono la visitaron a petición de Escobar al día siguiente de la liberación de Maruja y Pacho Santos. El aspecto era más bien deprimente, por los escombros arrinconados y los estragos de las lluvias intensas de aquel año. Las instalaciones técnicas de seguridad estaban resueltas. Había una doble cerca de dos metros con ochenta de altura, con quince hileras de alambre electrificado a cinco mil voltios y siete garitas de vigilancia, además de otras dos en la guardia de ingreso. Estos dos dispositivos serían reforzados aún más tanto para impedir que Escobar se fugara como para impedir que lo mataran.

    El único punto crítico que encontró Villamizar fue un baño enchapado en baldosines italianos en la habitación prevista para Escobar, y recomendó cambiarlo -Y fue cambiado- por una decoración más sobria. La conclusión de su informe fue más sobria aún: «Me pareció una cárcel muy cárcel». En efecto, el esplendor folclórico que terminaría por escandalizar al país y a medio mundo, y por comprometer el prestigio del gobierno, fue impuesto después desde dentro con una operación inconcebible de soborno e intimidación.

    Escobar le pidió a Villamizar el número de un teléfono limpio en Bogotá para acordar entre ellos los detalles de la entrega física, y él le dio el de su vecina de arriba, Azeneth Velázquez. Le pareció que ninguno podía ser más seguro que ése, al cual llamaban a cualquier hora escritores y artistas lo bastante lunáticos como para sacar de quicio al más bragado. La fórmula era sencilla e inocua: alguna voz anónima llamaba a la casa de Villamizar y le decía: «Dentro de quince minutos, doctor». Villamizar subía sin prisa al apartamento de Azeneth, y a los quince minutos llamaba Pablo Escobar en persona. En una ocasión Villamizar se atrasó en el ascensor, y Azeneth contestó al teléfono. La voz de un paisa crudo le preguntó por el doctor Villamizar.

    -No vive aquí -dijo Azeneth.

    -No se preocupe -le dijo el paisa con la voz sonriente-. Ya va subiendo.

    El que hablaba era Pablo Escobar en vivo y en directo, pero Azeneth sólo lo sabrá si se le ocurre leer este libro. Pues Villamizar quiso decírselo aquel día por una lealtad elemental, y ella -que no traga entero- se tapó los oídos.

    -Yo no quiero saber nada de nada -le dijo-. Haga lo que le dé la gana en mi casa, pero a mí no me cuente.

    Para entonces Villamizar había hecho más de un viaje semanal a Medellín. Desde el Hotel Intercontinental llamaba a María Lía, y ella le mandaba un automóvil para llevarlo a La Loma. En uno de los primeros viajes había ido con Maruja para dar las gracias a los Ochoa por su ayuda. Al almuerzo salió el tema del anillo de esmeraldas y diamantes mínimos que no le habían devuelto la noche de la liberación. Villamizar les había hablado de eso también a los Ochoa, y éstos le mandaron un mensaje a Escobar, pero no había contestado. El Mono, que estaba presente, sugirió la posibilidad de regalarle uno nuevo, pero Villamizar le aclaró que Maruja no añoraba el anillo por su precio sino por su valor afectivo. El Mono prometió llevarle el problema a Escobar.

    La primera llamada de éste a la casa de Azeneth fue a propósito de un El Minuto de Dios en el cual el padre García Herreros lo acusó de pornógrafo impenitente, y lo conminó a volver al camino de Dios. Nadie entendió tamaña voltereta. Escobar pensaba que si el padre se había vuelto contra él debió haber sido por un motivo de mucha monta, y condicionó la entrega a una explicación inmediata y pública. Lo peor para él era que su tropa había aceptado entregarse por la fe que tenían en la palabra del padre. Villamizar lo llevó a La Loma, y desde allí le dio el padre a Escobar toda clase de aclaraciones por teléfono. De acuerdo con ellas, en la grabación del programa se había cometido un error de edición que le hizo decir lo que no había dicho. Escobar grabó la conversación, se la hizo oír a su tropa y conjuró la crisis.

    Pero aún faltaba más. El gobierno insistió en las patrullas mixtas entre el Ejército y la guardia nacional en el exterior de la cárcel, en talar el bosque aledaño para que sirviera como campo de tiro, y en su prerrogativa para nombrar las guardias dentro de un comité tripartito del gobierno central, el municipio de Envigado y la Procuraduría, por tratarse de una cárcel municipal y nacional. Escobar se opuso a la cercanía de los guardias porque sus enemigos podían asesinarlo en la cárcel. Se opuso al patrullaje mixto, porque -según sus abogados- en el interior de las cárceles no podía haber fuerza pública, de acuerdo con el Derecho de Prisiones. Se opuso a la tala del bosque aledaño, primero porque hacía posible el descenso de helicópteros, y segundo porque suponía que un campo de tiro era un polígono que utilizaría como blanco a los presos, hasta que lo convencieron de que, en términos militares, un campo de tiro no es más que un terreno con una buena visión de contorno. Y ésa era por cierto la ventaja del Centro de Drogadictos -tanto para el gobierno como para los presos-, pues desde cualquier punto de la casa se tenía una visión completa del valle y la montaña para otear con tiempo el peligro. Por último el director nacional de Instrucción Criminal quiso levantar a última hora un muro blindado alrededor de la cárcel, además de la cerca de alambre de púas. Escobar se enfureció.

    El jueves 30 de mayo El Espectador publicó una noticia -atribuida a fuentes oficiales que le merecían entero crédito- sobre las supuestas condiciones que Escobar había puesto para su entrega en una reunión celebrada por sus abogados con voceros del gobierno. Entre esas condiciones -según la noticia- la más espectacular era el exilio del general Maza Márquez y la destitución de los generales Miguel Gómez Padilla, comandante de la Policía Nacional, y Octavio Vargas Silva, comandante de la Dirección de Investigación Judicial de la Policía (Dijín).


    El presidente Gaviria citó en su despacho al general Maza Márquez para aclarar el origen de la noticia, que personas allegadas al gobierno le atribuían a él. La entrevista duró media hora, y conociéndolos a ambos es imposible imaginar cuál de los dos fue el más imperturbable. El general, con su suave y lenta voz baritonal, hizo una relación detallada de sus indagaciones sobre el caso. El presidente lo escuchó en silencio absoluto. Veinte minutos después se despidieron. Al día siguiente, el general le envió al presidente una carta oficial de seis pliegos con la repetición minuciosa de lo que le había dicho para que quedara como constancia histórica.

    De acuerdo con las investigaciones -decía la carta-, el origen de la noticia era Martha Nieves Ochoa, quien la había contado días antes y con carácter exclusivo a redactores judiciales de El Tíempo -sus depositarios exclusivos-, que no entendían cómo había sido publicada primero por El Espectador. Expresó que era un ferviente partidario de la entrega de Pablo Escobar. Reiteró su lealtad a sus principios, obligaciones y deberes, y concluyó: «Por razones que usted conoce, señor presidente, muchas personas y entidades insisten en buscar mi desestabilización profesional, tal vez con ánimo de colocarme en una situación de riesgo que les permita con facilidad consumar sus objetivos en mi contra».

    Martha Nieves Ochoa negó ser la fuente de la noticia, v no volvió a hablarse del asunto. Sin embargo, tres meses después -cuando ya Escobar estaba en la cárcel-, el secretario general de la presidencia, Fabio Villegas, llamó al general Maza a su despacho por encargo del presidente, lo invitó al Salón Azul, y caminando de un extremo al otro como en un paseo dominical le comunicó la decisión presidencial de su retiro. Maza salió convencido de que aquélla había sido la prueba del compromiso con Escobar que el gobierno había desmentido, y así lo dijo: «Fui negociado».

    Desde antes de eso, en todo caso, Escobar le había hecho saber al general Maza que la guerra entre ellos había terminado, que se olvidaba de todo y se entregaba en serio: paraba los atentados, desmantelaba la banda y entregaba la dinamita. Como prueba le mandó una lista de escondrijos donde encontraron setecientos kilos. Más tarde, desde la cárcel, seguiría revelando a la brigada de Medellín una serie de caletas con un total de dos toneladas. Pero Maza no le creyó nunca.

    Impaciente por la demora de la entrega, el gobierno nombró como director de la cárcel a un boyacense -Luis Jorge Pataquiva Silva- y no a un antioqueño, así como a veinte guardias nacionales de distintos departamentos, Y no antioqueños. «De todos modos –dijo Villamizar- si lo que quieren es sobornar lo mismo da antioqueño que de cualquier parte.» Escobar, fatigado él mismo de tantas vueltas, apenas lo discutió. Al fin se acordó que fuera el ejército y no la policía el que cubriera el ingreso, y que se tomaran medidas de excepción para quitarle a Escobar el temor de que lo envenenaran con la comida de la cárcel.

    La Dirección Nacional de Prisiones, por otra parte, adoptó el mismo régimen de visitas de los hermanos Ochoa Vázquez en el pabellón de máxima seguridad de Itagüí. La hora límite para levantarse era las siete de la mañana y la hora límite para ser recluido y puesto bajo llave y candado en la celda eran las ocho de la noche. Escobar y sus compañeros podían recibir visitas de mujeres cada domingo, de ocho de la mañana a dos de la tarde; de hombres, los sábados, y de menores, en el primer y el tercer domingo de cada mes.

    En la madrugada del 9 de junio, efectivos del batallón de policía militar de Medellín relevaron al grupo de caballería que vigilaba el contorno, iniciaron el montaje de un impresionante dispositivo de seguridad, desalojaron de las montañas aledañas a personas ajenas al sector, y asumieron el control total de la tierra y el cielo. No había más pretextos. Villamizar le hizo saber a Escobar -con toda sinceridad- que le agradecía la liberación de Maruja, pero no estaba dispuesto a correr más riesgos sólo porque él no acababa de entregarse. Y se lo mandó a decir en serio: «De aquí en adelante yo no respondo». Escobar decidió en dos días, con la última condición de que también el procurador general lo acompañara en la entrega.

    Un tropiezo insólito de última hora pudo haber provocado un nuevo aplazamiento: Escobar no tenía un instrumento oficial de identidad para probar que era él y no otro el que se entregaba. Uno de sus abogados planteó el problema al gobierno y solicitó en consecuencia una cédula de ciudadanía para Escobar, sin tomar en cuenta que éste, buscado por toda la fuerza pública, debería ir en persona a la correspondiente oficina del Registro Civil. La solución de emergencia fue que se identificara con la huella digital y el número de una cédula que había usado en un viejo oficio notarial, y declarara al mismo tiempo que no podía mostrarla porque se le había extraviado.


    El Mono despertó a Villamizar a las doce de la noche del 18 de junio para que subiera a atender una llamada de emergencia. Era muy tarde, pero el apartamento de Azeneth parecía un infierno feliz, con el acordeón de Egidio Cuadrado y su combo de vallenatos. Villamizar tuvo que abrirse camino a codazos por entre la fronda frenética de la más alta chismografía cultural. Azeneth, en su estilo típico, le cerró el paso.

    -Ya sé quién es la que lo llama -le dijo-. Y cuídese, porque si se descuida lo van a capar.

    Lo dejó en el dormitorio en el momento en que sonó el teléfono. En medio del estruendo que estremecía la casa Villamizar alcanzó a oír apenas lo esencial:

    -Listo, véngase para Medellín mañana temprano.

    A las siete de la mañana, Rafael Pardo puso un avión de la Aeronáutica Civil a disposición de la comitiva oficial que asistiría a la entrega. Villamizar, temeroso de una filtración prematura, se presentó en la casa del padre García Herreros a las cinco de la mañana. Lo encontró en el oratorio, con la ruana inconsútil sobre la sotana, cuando acababa de decir la misa.

    -Bueno, padre, camine -le dijo-. Nos vamos para Medellín porque Escobar se va a entregar.

    En el avión -además de ellos- viajaron Fernando García Herreros, un sobrino del padre que actuaba como su asistente ocasional; Jaime Vázquez, de la Consejería de Información; el doctor Carlos Gustavo Arrieta, procurador general de la república y el doctor Jaime Córdoba Triviño, procurador delegado para los Derechos Humanos. En el aeropuerto Olaya Herrera, en pleno centro de Medellín, los esperaban María Lía y Martha Nieves Ochoa.

    La comitiva oficial fue llevada a la gobernación. Villamizar y el padre se fueron al apartamento de María Lía para desayunar mientras se cumplían los últimos trámites de la entrega. Allí supo que Escobar ya iba en camino, a veces en carro y a veces haciendo rodeos a pie, para eludir los frecuentes retenes de la policía. Era experto en esos azares.

    El padre tenía otra vez los nervios de punta. Se le cayó un lente de contacto, lo pisó, y se exasperó a tal grado que Martha Nieves tuvo que llevarlo a la óptica San Ignacio, donde le resolvieron el problema con unas gafas normales. La ciudad estaba plagada de retenes rigurosos, y los detuvieron en casi todos, pero no para requisarlos, sino para agradecerle al padre lo que hacía por la felicidad de Medellín. Pues en aquella ciudad donde todo era posible, la noticia más secreta del mundo era ya de dominio público.

    El Mono llegó al apartamento de María Lía a las dos y media de la tarde, vestido como para un paseo campestre, con una chaquetita de tierra caliente y zapatos blandos.

    -Listo -le dijo a Villamizar-. Nos vamos para la gobernación. Váyase usted por su lado y yo llego por otro.

    Se fue solo en su carro. Villamizar, el padre García Herreros y Martha Nieves se fueron en el de María Lía. Frente a la gobernación se bajaron los dos hombres. Las mujeres permanecieron esperando fuera. El Mono no era ya el técnico frío y eficaz, sino que trataba de esconderse dentro de sí mismo. Se puso unas gafas oscuras y una gorra de golfista, y se mantuvo siempre en segundo plano detrás de Villamizar. Alguien que lo vio entrar con el padre se apresuró a llamar por teléfono a Rafael Pardo para decirle que Escobar -muy rubio, muy alto y elegante- acababa de entregarse en la gobernación.

    Cuando se preparaban para salir, le avisaron al Mono por radioteléfono que un avión se dirigía al espacio aéreo de la ciudad. Era una ambulancia militar con varios soldados heridos en un encuentro con las guerrillas de Urabá. El temor de que se hiciera demasiado tarde inquietaba a las autoridades, porque los helicópteros no podrían volar al filo del atardecer, y aplazar la entrega para el día siguiente podía ser funesto. Villamizar llamó entonces a Rafael Pardo, y éste hizo desviar el vuelo de los heridos y reiteró la orden terminante de mantener el cielo despejado. Mientras esperaba el desenlace, escribió en su diario personal: «Ni un pájaro vuela hoy sobre Medellín».

    El primer helicóptero -un Bell 206 para seis pasajeros- despegó de la azotea de la gobernación poco después de las tres con el Procurador General y Jaime Vázquez; Fernando García Herreros y el periodista de radio Luis Alirio Calle, cuya enorme popularidad era una garantía más para la tranquilidad de Pablo Escobar. Un oficial de seguridad le indicaría al piloto el rumbo directo de la cárcel.

    El segundo helicóptero -un Bell 412 para doce pasajeros despegó – diez minutos después cuando el Mono recibió la orden por radioteléfono. Villamizar se embarcó con él y con el padre. No bien despegaban cuando oyeron por radio la noticia de que la posición del gobierno había sido derrotada en la Asamblea Nacional Constituyente, donde acababa de aprobarse la no extradición de nacionales por cincuenta y un votos a favor, trece en contra y cinco abstenciones, en una primera instancia que sería ratificada más tarde. Aunque no había indicios de que fuera un acto concertado, era casi infantil no pensar que Escobar lo conocía de antemano y había esperado hasta aquel último minuto para entregarse.

    Los pilotos siguieron las indicaciones del Mono para recoger a Pablo Escobar y llevarlo a la cárcel. Fue un vuelo muy breve, y a tan baja altura, que las instrucciones parecían para un automóvil: tomen la Octava, sigan por ahí, ahora a la derecha, más, más, hasta el parque, eso es. Detrás de una arboleda surgió de pronto una mansión espléndida entre flores tropicales de colores intensos, con un campo de fútbol perfecto como una enorme mesa de billar en medio del tráfico fluido de El Poblado.

    -Aterrice ahí -indicó el Mono-. No apague los motores.

    Sólo cuando estuvieron a la altura de la casa descubrió Villamizar que alrededor del campo esperaban no menos de treinta hombres con las armas en ristre. Cuando el helicóptero se posó en el prado intacto, se desprendieron del grupo unos quince escoltas que caminaron ansiosos hacia el helicóptero alrededor de un hombre qué no podía pasar inadvertido. Tenía el cabello largo hasta los hombros, una barba muy negra, espesa y áspera, que le llegaba hasta el pecho, y la piel parda y curtida por un sol de páramo. Era rechoncho, con zapatos de tenis y una chaquetilla azul claro de algodón ordinario, y se movía con una andadura fácil y una tranquilidad escalofriante. Villamizar lo reconoció a primera vista sólo porque era distinto de todos los hombres que había visto en su vida.

    Después de despedirse de sus escoltas más próximos con abrazos fuertes y rápidos, Escobar indicó a dos de ellos que embarcaran por el otro lado del helicóptero. Eran el Mugre y Otto, dos de los más cercanos. Luego subió él sin cuidarse de las aspas a media marcha. El primero a quien saludó antes de sentarse fue a Villamizar. Le tendió la mano tibia y bien cuidada y le preguntó sin una alteración mínima en la voz:

    -¿Cómo está, doctor Villamizar?

    -Cómo le va, Pablo -le contestó él.

    Escobar se volvió luego hacia el padre García Herreros con una sonrisa amable y le dio las gracias por todo. Se sentó junto a sus dos escoltas, y sólo entonces pareció caer en la cuenta de que el Mono estaba allí. Tal vez había previsto que se limitaría a darle las instrucciones a Villamizar sin subir en el helicóptero.

    -Usted sí -le dijo Escobar-, metido hasta el final en esta vaina.

    Nadie supo si fue un reconocimiento o un regaño, pero el tono fue más bien cordial. El Mono, tan perdido como todos, movió la cabeza y sonrió.

    -¡Ay, patrón!

    Villamizar pensó entonces, como en una revelación, que Escobar era un hombre mucho más peligroso de lo que se creía, porque su tranquilidad y su dominio tenían algo de sobrenatural. El Mono trató de cerrar la puerta de su lado, pero no supo cómo, y tuvo que cerrarla el copiloto. En la emoción del instante nadie se había acordado de dar órdenes. El piloto, tenso en los comandos, preguntó:


    A Escobar se le soltó entonces el único indicio de la ansiedad reprimida.

    -Claro -se apresuró a ordenar-. ¡Apúrele! ¡Apúrele!

    Cuando el helicóptero se desprendió del pasto le preguntó a Villamizar: «Todo bien, ¿no, doctor?». Villamizar, sin volverse a mirarlo, le contestó con su verdad: «Todo perfecto». Nada más, porque el vuelo había terminado. El helicóptero voló un tramo final a ras de los árboles y se posó en el campo de fútbol de la cárcel -pedregoso y con las porterías rotas- junto al primer helicóptero que había llegado un cuarto de hora antes. Todo el viaje desde la gobernación no duró quince minutos.

    Los dos siguientes, sin embargo, fueron los más intensos. Escobar trató de bajar primero desde que la puerta se abrió, y se encontró rodeado por la guardia del penal: un medio centenar de hombres con uniformes azules, tensos y un poco atolondrados, que lo encañonaron con armas largas. Escobar se sorprendió, perdió el control por un instante, y lanzó un grito cargado de una autoridad temible:

    -¡Bajen las armas, carajo!

    Cuando el jefe de la guardia dio la misma orden, ya la de Escobar estaba cumplida. Escobar y sus acompañantes caminaron los doscientos metros hasta la casa, donde los esperaban las autoridades de la cárcel, los miembros de la delegación oficial y el primer grupo de secuaces de Escobar que habían llegado por tierra para entregarse con él. Allí estaban también la esposa de Escobar, y su madre, muy pálida y a punto de llorar. Él le dio al pasar un toquecito cariñoso en el hombro, y le dijo: «Tranquila, vieja». El director de la cárcel salió a su encuentro con la mano extendida.

    -Señor Escobar -se presentó-. Soy Luis Jorge Pataquiva.

    Escobar le estrechó la mano. Luego se levantó el pantalón de la pierna izquierda y desenfundó la pistola que llevaba en un arnés amarrado en el tobillo. Una joya magnífica: Sig Sauer 9, con el monograma de oro incrustado en la cacha de nácar. Escobar no le quitó el cargador, sino que sacó las balas una por una y las tiró en el suelo.

    Fue un gesto algo teatral que parecía ensayado, y surtió su efecto como una muestra de confianza al carcelero mayor cuyo nombramiento le había quitado el sueño. Al día siguiente se publicó que al entregar la pistola Escobar le había dicho a Pataquiva: «Por la paz de Colombia». Ningún testigo lo recuerda, y Villamizar mucho menos, deslumbrado como estaba por la belleza del arma.

    Escobar saludó a todos. El procurador delegado le retuvo la mano mientras le decía: «Estoy aquí, señor Escobar, para mirar que sus derechos sean respetados». Escobar le dio las gracias con una deferencia especial. Por último tomó del brazo a Villamizar.

    -Camine, doctor -le dijo-. Usted y yo tenemos mucho que conversar.

    Lo llevó hasta el extremo de la galería exterior, y allí charlaron por unos diez minutos recostados en la baranda y de espaldas a todos. Escobar empezó por dar las gracias formales. Luego, con su calma pasmosa, lamentó los sufrimientos que le había causado a Villamizar y a su familia, pero le pidió entender que aquélla había sido una guerra muy dura para ambas partes. Villamizar no desperdició la ocasión de resolver tres grandes incógnitas de su vida: por qué habían matado a Luis Carlos Galán, por qué Escobar había tratado de matarlo a él, y por qué había secuestrado a Maruja y a Beatriz.

    Escobar rechazó toda culpa sobre el primer crimen. «Lo que pasa es que al doctor Galán lo quería matar todo el mundo», dijo. Admitió que había estado presente en las discusiones en que se decidió el atentado, pero negó que hubiera intervenido o tuviera algo que ver con los hechos. «En eso intervino muchísima gente -dijo-. Yo inclusive me opuse porque sabía lo que se venía si lo mataban, pero si ésa era la decisión yo no podía oponerme. Le ruego que se lo diga así a doña Gloria.»

    En cuanto a la segunda inquietud, fue explícito en que un grupo de congresistas amigos lo habían convencido de que Villamizar era un colega incontrolable y empecinado que había que frenar de cualquier modo antes de que hiciera aprobar la extradición. «Además -dijo- en esa guerra en que estábamos a uno lo mataban hasta por chismes. Pero ahora que lo conozco, doctor Villamizar, bendita la hora en que no le pasó nada.»

    Sobre el secuestro de Maruja dio una explicación simplista. «Yo estaba secuestrando gente para conseguir algo y no lo conseguía, nadie conversaba, nadie hacía caso, así que me fui por doña Maruja a ver si lograba cualquier cosa.» No tuvo más argumentos, sino que derivó a un largo comentario sobre la forma en que fue conociendo a Villamizar en el curso de las negociaciones, hasta convencerse de que era un hombre serio y valiente, cuya palabra de oro comprometía su gratitud eterna. «Yo sé que usted y yo no podemos ser amigos», le dijo. Pero Villamizar podía estar seguro de que ni a él ni a nadie de su familia volvería a pasarle nada de allí en adelante.

    -Yo estaré aquí quién sabe hasta cuándo -dijo-, pero todavía tengo muchos amigos, de modo que si alguno de los suyos se siente inseguro, si alguien se va a meter con ustedes, mándemelo a decir y nada más. Usted me cumplió y yo le cumplo, muchas gracias. Es palabra de honor.

    Antes de despedirse, Escobar le pidió a Villamizar el último favor de tranquilizar a su madre y a su esposa, que estaban al borde de la conmoción. Villamizar lo hizo sin muchas ilusiones, pues ambas estaban convencidas de que aquel ceremonial era una trampa siniestra del gobierno para asesinar a Escobar dentro de la cárcel. Por último entró en el despacho del director y marcó de memoria el número 284 33 00 del palacio presidencial, para que localizaran a Rafael Pardo donde se encontrara.

    Estaba en la oficina del consejero de Prensa, Mauricio Vargas, quien contestó al teléfono y le pasó la bocina sin comentarios. Pardo reconoció la voz grave y calmada, pero esta vez con un halo radiante.

    -Doctor Pardo -dijo Villamizar-, aquí le tengo a Escobar en la cárcel.

    Pardo -quizás por primera vez en su vida- recibió la noticia sin pasarla por el filtro de la duda.

    -¡Qué maravilla! -dijo.

    Hizo un comentario rápido que Mauricio Vargas no trató siquiera de interpretar, colgó el teléfono, y entró sin tocar en la oficina del presidente. Vargas, que es un periodista de nacimiento las veinticuatro horas del día, sospechó por la prisa y la demora de Pardo que debía tratarse de algo grande. No tuvo nervios para esperar más de cinco minutos. Entró en la oficina del presidente sin anunciarse, y lo encontró riéndose a carcajadas de algo que Pardo acababa de decirle. Entonces lo supo. Mauricio pensó con alegría en el tropel de periodistas que de un momento a otro irrumpirían en su oficina, y miró el reloj. Eran las cuatro y media de la tarde. Dos meses después, Rafael Pardo sería el primer civil nombrado ministro de la Defensa, después de cincuenta años de ministros militares.


    Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria había cumplido cuarenta y un años en diciembre. De acuerdo con el examen médico de rigor al ingresar en la cárcel, su estado de salud era el de «un hombre joven en condiciones normales físicas y mentales». La única observación extraña fue una congestión en la mucosa nasal y algo como la cicatriz de una cirugía plástica en la nariz, pero él la explicó como una lesión juvenil durante un partido de fútbol.

    El acta de entrega voluntaria la firmaron el director nacional y la directora regional de Instrucción Criminal, y el procurador delegado para los Derechos Humanos. Escobar respaldó su firma con la huella digital del pulgar y el número de su cédula extraviada: 8.345.766 de Envigado. El secretario, Carlos Alberto Bravo, dejó una constancia al final del documento: «Una vez firmó el acta, el señor Pablo Emilio Escobar solicitó que firmara la presente el doctor Alberto Villamizar Cárdenas, quien firma». Villamizar firmó aunque nunca le dijeron a título de qué.

    Terminada la diligencia, Pablo Escobar se despidió de todos y entró en la celda donde iba a vivir tan ocupado como siempre en sus asuntos y negocios, y además con el poder del Estado al servicio de su sosiego doméstico y su seguridad. Desde el día siguiente, sin embargo, la cárcel muy cárcel de que había hablado Villamizar empezó a transformarse en una hacienda de cinco estrellas con toda clase de lujos, instalaciones de recreo y facilidades para la parranda y el delito, construidos con materiales de primera clase que eran llevados poco a poco en un doble fondo adaptado en el baúl de una camioneta de abastecimiento. Doscientos noventa y nueve días después, enterado el gobierno del escándalo, decidió cambiar de cárcel a Escobar sin anuncio previo. Tan inverosímil como el hecho de que el gobierno hubiera necesitado un año para enterarse, fue que Escobar sobornó con un plato de comida a un sargento y a dos soldados muertos de susto, y escapó caminando con sus escoltas a través de los bosques vecinos, en las barbas de los funcionarios y de la tropa responsable de la mudanza.

    Fue su sentencia de muerte. Según declaró más tarde, la acción del gobierno había sido tan extraña e intempestiva, que no pensó que en verdad fueran a transferirlo sino a matarlo o a entregárselo a los Estados Unidos. Cuando se dio cuenta de las desproporciones de su error emprendió dos campañas paralelas para que el gobierno volviera a hacerle el favor de encarcelarlo: la más grande ofensiva de terrorismo dinamitero de la historia del país y la oferta de rendición sin condiciones de ninguna clase. El gobierno no se dio nunca por enterado de sus propuestas, el país no sucumbió al terror de los carrobombas y la ofensiva de la policía alcanzó proporciones insostenibles.

    El mundo había cambiado para Escobar. Quienes hubieran podido ayudarlo de nuevo para salvar la vida no tenían ganas ni argumentos. El padre García Herreros murió el 24 de noviembre de 1992 por una insuficiencia renal complicada, y Paulina -sin empleo y sin ahorros- se refugió en un otoño tranquilo, con sus hijos Y sus buenos recuerdos, hasta el punto de que hoy nadie (la razón de ella en El Minuto de Dios. Alberto Villamizar, nombrado embajador en Holanda, recibió varios recados de Escobar, pero ya era demasiado tarde para todo. La inmensa fortuna, calculada en tres mil millones de dólares, se fue en gran parte por los sumideros de la guerra o se desbarató en la desbandada del cartel. Su familia no encontraba un lugar en el mundo donde dormir sin pesadillas. Convertido en la más grande pieza de caza de nuestra historia, Escobar no podía permanecer más de seis horas en un mismo lugar, e iba dejando en su fuga enloquecida un reguero de muertos inocentes, y a sus propios escoltas asesinados, rendidos a la justicia o pasados a las huestes del enemigo. Sus servicios de seguridad, y aun su propio instinto casi animal de supervivencia perdieron los talentos de otros días.

    El 2 de diciembre de 1993 -un día después de cumplir cuarenta y cuatro años- no resistió la tentación de hablar por teléfono con su hijo Juan Pablo, que acababa de regresar a Bogotá rechazado por Alemania, junto con su madre y su hermana menor. Juan Pablo, ya más alerta que él, le advirtió a los dos minutos que no siguiera hablando porque la policía iba a localizar el origen de la llamada. Escobar -cuya devoción familiar era proverbial- no le hizo caso. Ya en ese momento los servicios de rastreo habían logrado establecer el sitio exacto del barrio Los Olivos de Medellín, donde estaba hablando. A las tres y cuarto de la tarde, un grupo especial nada ostensible de veintitrés policías vestidos de civil acordonaron el sector, se tomaron la casa y estaban forzando la puerta del segundo piso. Escobar lo sintió. «Te dejo -le dijo a su hijo en el teléfono- porque aquí está pasando algo raro.» Fueron sus últimas palabras.


    La noche -de la entrega la pasó Villamizar en los bailaderos más alegres y peligrosos de la ciudad, bebiendo aguardiente de machos con los guardaespaldas de Escobar. El Mono, ahogado hasta el gorro, le contaba a quien lo oyera que el doctor Villamizar era la única persona a la que el patrón le había dado disculpas. A las dos de la madrugada se puso de pie sin preámbulos y se despidió con un saludo de la mano.

    -Hasta siempre, doctor Villamizar -dijo-. Ahora tengo que desaparecerme, y posiblemente no volveremos a vernos nunca. Fue un placer conocerlo.

    Al amanecer dejaron a Villamizar embebido como una esponja en la casa de La Loma. Por la tarde, en el avión de vuelta, no había otro tema de conversación que la entrega de Pablo Escobar. Villamizar era aquel día uno de los hombres más notables del país, pero nadie lo reconoció entre la muchedumbre de los aeropuertos. Los periódicos habían señalado sin fotografías su presencia en la cárcel, pero el tamaño de su protagonismo real y decisivo en todo el proceso de la entrega parecía destinado a la penumbra de las glorias secretas.

    De regreso a casa aquella tarde se dio cuenta de que la vida cotidiana retomaba su hilo. Andrés estudiaba en el cuarto. Maruja libraba en silencio la dura guerra con sus fantasmas para volver a ser la misma. El caballo de la dinastía Tang había vuelto a su lugar, entre sus primorosas reliquias de Indonesia y sus antigüedades de medio mundo, encabritado sobre la mesa sagrada en que ella lo quería y en el rincón donde soñaba verlo durante las noches interminables del secuestro. Había vuelto a sus oficinas de Focine en el mismo automóvil en que la habían secuestrado -borradas ya las cicatrices de las balas en los cristales- y otro chofer nuevo y agradecido ocupaba el asiento del muerto. Antes de dos años sería nombrada ministra de Educación.

    Villamizar, sin empleo ni ganas de tenerlo, con un regusto ácido de la política, prefirió descansar por un tiempo a su manera, reparando las pequeñas averías domésticas, bebiéndose el ocio sorbo a sorbo con viejos compinches, haciendo el mercado con su propia mano para gozar y hacer gozar a sus amigos de las delicias de la cocina popular. Era  un estado de ánimo propicio para leer en las tardes y dejarse crecer la barba. Un domingo durante el almuerzo, cuando ya las brumas de la nostalgia empezaban a enrarecer el pasado, alguien llamó a la puerta. Pensaron que Andrés había vuelto a olvidar las llaves. Como era el día libre del servicio, Villamizar abrió. Un hombre joven de chaqueta deportiva le entregó un paquetito envuelto en papel de regalo y atado con una cinta dorada, y desapareció por la escalera sin decirle una palabra ni darle tiempo de preguntar nada. Villamizar pensó que podía ser una bomba. En un instante lo estremeció la náusea del secuestro, pero deshizo el lazo y desenvolvió el paquetito con la punta de los dedos, lejos del comedor donde Maruja lo esperaba. Era un estuche de piel artificial, y dentro del estuche, en su nido de raso, estaba el anillo que le habían quitado a Maruja la noche del secuestro. Le faltaba una chispa de diamante, pero era el mismo.

    Ella no podía creerlo. Se lo puso, y se dio cuenta de que estaba recobrando la salud a toda prisa, pues ya le venía bien al dedo.

    -¡Qué barbaridad! -suspiró ilusionada-. Todo esto ha sido como para escribir un libro.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb