News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 74

    Andrés had pulled out behind his father, along with his cousin Gabriel, following the caravan of reporters who cut a path through traffic with fake ambulance sirens. Even though he was an expert driver, he became stuck in traffic, and could not move. Villamizar, on the other hand, arrived in the record time of fifteen minutes. He did not have to look for the house because some of the reporters who had been in his apartment were already arguing with the owner to let them in. Villamizar made his way through the noisy crowd. He did not have time to greet anyone, because the owner’s wife recognized him and pointed to the stairs.

    “This way,” she said.

    Maruja was in the main bedroom, where they had taken her to freshen up while she waited for her husband. When she went in she had come face-to-face with a grotesque stranger: her reflection in the mirror. She looked bloated and flabby from nephritis, her eyelids swollen, and her skin pasty and dry after six months of darkness.

    Villamizar raced up the stairs, opened the first door he came to, and found himself in the children’s room filled with dolls and bicycles. Then he opened the door facing him, and saw Maruja sitting on the bed in the checked jacket she had worn when she left the house on the day of her abduction, and freshly made up for him. “He came in like thunder,” Maruja has said. She threw her arms around his neck, and their embrace was intense, long, and silent. The clamor of the reporters, who had overcome the owner’s resistance and stormed into the house, broke the spell. Maruja gave a start. Villamizar smiled in amusement.

    “Your colleagues,” he said.

    Maruja felt consternation. “I spent six months without looking in a mirror,” she said. She smiled at her reflection, and it was not her. She stood erect, fluffed the hair pulled back at the nape of her neck, did what she could to make the woman in the mirror resemble the image of herself she had six months earlier. She failed.

    “I look awful,” she said, and showed her husband her swollen, misshapen fingers. “I didn’t realize because they took my ring.”

    “You look perfect,” Villamizar said.

    He put his arm around her shoulder and walked her to the living room.

    The reporters attacked with cameras, lights, and microphones. Maruja was dazzled. “Take it easy, guys,” she said. “It’ll be easier to talk in the apartment.” Those were her first words.


    THE SEVEN O’CLOCK news said nothing, but President Gaviria learned minutes later when he checked the radio that Maruja Pachón had been freed. He drove to her house with Mauricio Vargas, but earlier they had left an official announcement of the release of Francisco Santos, which they expected at any moment. Mauricio Vargas had read it into the journalists’ tape recorders on the condition they not broadcast it until they received official notification.

    At this time Maruja was on her way home. A short while before she arrived, a rumor began to circulate that Pacho Santos had been freed, and the reporters unleashed the dog of the official announcement, which rushed out, barking with jubilation, over every station.

    The president and Mauricio Vargas heard it in the car and celebrated the idea of having pre-recorded it. But five minutes later the report was retracted.

    “Mauricio,” exclaimed Gaviria, “what a disaster!”

    All they could do, however, was hope that events would occur as announced. In the meantime, since the overflowing crowd made it impossible for them to stay in Villamizar’s apartment, they went up one floor to the apartment of Aseneth Velásquez to wait for Pacho’s true release after his three false ones.


    PACHO SANTOS HAD heard the announcement of Maruja’s release, the premature announcement of his own, and the government’s blunder. At that moment the man who had spoken to him in the morning came into his room, and led him by the arm, without a blindfold, down to the first floor. He saw that the house was empty, and one of his guards, convulsing with laughter, informed him they had moved out the furniture in a truck to avoid paying the last month’s rent. They all said goodbye with huge hugs, and thanked Pacho for everything he had taught them. Pacho’s reply was sincere:

    “I learned a lot from you too.”

    In the garage they gave him a book to hold up to his face, as if he were reading, and intoned the warnings. If they ran into the police he had to jump out of the car so they could get away. And most important of all: He must not say he had been in Bogotá, but somewhere three hours away along a terrible highway. They had a gruesome reason: His captors knew Pacho was astute enough to have formed an idea of where the house was located, and he could not reveal it because the guards had lived openly in the neighborhood, taking no precautions at all, during the long days of his captivity.

    “If you tell,” the man in charge of his release concluded, “we’ll have to kill all the neighbors to keep them from identifying us later on.”

    Across from the police kiosk at the intersection of Avenida Boyacá and Calle 80, the car stalled. They tried to start it again two, three, four times, but it did not turn over until the fifth attempt. They were all in a cold sweat. They drove two more blocks, took away the book, and let Pacho out on the corner with three 2,000-peso bills for the taxi. He took the first one that passed, and its young, amiable driver refused to charge him, and with blasts of the horn and joyful shouts cut a path through the mob waiting outside Pacho’s house. The yellow journalists were disappointed: They had been expecting an emaciated, defeated man after 244 days of captivity, and instead they saw a Pacho Santos rejuvenated in spirit and body, and fatter, more reckless, more in love with life than ever. “They returned him exactly the same,” declared his cousin, Enrique Santos Calderón. Another cousin, infected by the family’s jubilant mood, said: “He needed another six months.”


    BY NOW MARUJA was in her house. She had come home with Alberto, pursued by the mobile units that drove alongside them, preceded them, transmitting directly through all the snarled traffic. The drivers who were following the news on the radio recognized them as they passed and leaned on their horns in greeting, until the ovation spread all along the route.

    Andrés Villamizar had tried to go back home when he lost sight of his father, but his driving was so merciless that the engine shook loose and a rod broke. He left his automobile in the care of the police at the nearest kiosk, and stopped the first car that passed: a dark-gray BMW driven by a sympathetic executive who had been listening to the news. Andrés told him who he was and why he needed help, and asked him to get as close to his house as he could.

    “Get in,” said the man, “but I warn you, if you’re lying I’ll make things hard for you.”

    At the corner of Carrera Séptima and Calle 80, he happened to see a friend driving an old Renault. Andrés continued on with her, but the car ran out of steam on the Circunvalar hill. Andrés squeezed into the last white Jeep from the National Radio Network (RCN).

    The hill leading to the house was blocked by cars and a crowd of neighbors who had poured into the street. Maruja and Villamizar decided to leave the car and walk the last hundred meters, and without noticing it they got out at the same spot where she had been abducted. The first face Maruja recognized in the excited crowd was María del Rosario Ortiz, the originator and director of “Colombia Wants Them Back,” which for the first time since its creation did not broadcast that night for lack of a subject. Then she saw Andrés, who had jumped out of the Jeep and was trying to get to his house just as a tall, determined police officer ordered the street closed. Andrés, in a moment of pure inspiration, looked him in the eye and said in a firm voice:

    “I’m Andrés.”

    The officer knew nothing about him but let him pass. Maruja recognized him while he was running toward her and they embraced to the sound of applause. Patrol cars had to open a path for them. Maruja, Alberto, and Andrés began to climb the hill with full hearts, and were overcome by emotion. For the first time they burst into the tears that all three had wanted to hold back. And who could blame them: As far as the eye could see, a second crowd of good neighbors had hung flags from the windows of the tallest buildings and, with springtime of white handkerchiefs and an immense ovation, saluted the jubilant adventure of her return home.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 74

    Andrés había arrancado detrás de su padre, junto con el primo Gabriel, siguiendo la caravana de los periodistas que se abría paso en el tránsito con alarmas falsas y trucos de ambulancias. A pesar de ser un conductor experto, se enredó en el tránsito. Se quedó. En cambio Villamizar llegó en un tiempo olímpico de quince minutos. No tuvo que identificar la casa, pues algunos de los periodistas que estaban en su apartamento se disputaban ya con el dueño para que los dejara entrar. Villamizar se abrió paso por entre el tumulto. No tuvo tiempo de saludar a nadie, pues la dueña de casa lo reconoció y le señaló las escaleras.

    -Por ahí -le dijo.

    Maruja estaba en el dormitorio principal, a donde la habían llevado para que se arreglara mientras llegaba el marido. Al entrar, se había dado de bruces con un ser desconocido y grotesco: ella misma en el espejo. Se vio hinchada y fofa, con los párpados abotargados por la nefritis, y la piel verdosa y marchita por seis meses de penumbra.

    Villamizar subió en dos trancos, abrió la primera puerta que encontró, y era la de los niños, con muñecas y bicicletas. Entonces abrió la puerta de enfrente, y vio a Maruja sentada en la cama con la chaqueta de cuadros que llevaba cuando salió de su casa el día del secuestro, y recién maquillada para él. «Entró como un trueno», ha dicho Maruja. Ella le saltó al cuello, y se dieron un abrazo intenso, largo y mudo. Los sacó del éxtasis el estruendo de los periodistas que lograron romper la resistencia del dueño y entraron en tropel a la casa. Maruja se asustó. Villamizar sonrió divertido.

    -Son tus colegas -le dijo.

    Maruja se consternó. «Tenía seis meses de no verme en el espejo», dijo. Sonrió a su imagen y no era ella. Se irguió, se estiró el cabello en la nuca con el cintillo, se recompuso como pudo tratando de que la mujer del espejo se pareciera a la imagen que ella tenía de sí misma seis meses antes. No lo consiguió.

    -Estoy horrenda -dijo, y le mostró al marido los dedos deformados por la hinchazón-. No me había dado cuenta porque me quitaron los anillos.

    -Estás perfecta -le dijo Villamizar.

    Le abrazó por el hombro y la llevó a la sala.



    Los periodistas los asaltaron con cámaras, luces y micrófonos. Maruja quedó encandilada. «Tranquilos, muchachos -les dijo-. En el apartamento hablaremos mejor.» Fueron sus primeras palabras. Los noticieros de las siete de la noche no dijeron nada, pero el presidente Gaviria se enteró minutos después por un monitoreo de radio que Maruja Pachón había sido liberada. Arrancó hacia su casa con Mauricio Vargas, pero dejaron listo el comunicado oficial de la liberación de Francisco Santos que debía ocurrir de un momento a otro. Mauricio Vargas lo había leído en voz alta frente a las grabadoras de los periodistas, con la condición de que no lo transmitieran mientras no se diera la noticia oficial.

    A esa hora Maruja estaba viajando hacia su casa. Poco antes de que llegara surgió un rumor de que Pacho Santos había sido liberado, y los periodistas soltaron el perro amarrado del comunicado oficial leído por Mauricio, que salió en estampida con ladridos de júbilo por todas las emisoras.

    El presidente y Mauricio lo oyeron en el carro y celebraron la idea de haberlo grabado. Pero cinco minutos después la noticia fue rectificada.

    -¡Mauricio -exclamó Gaviria-, qué desastre!

    Sin embargo, lo único que podían hacer entonces era confiar en que la noticia sucediera como ya estaba dada. Mientras tanto, ante la imposibilidad de quedarse en el apartamento de Villamizar por la muchedumbre que estaba dentro, permanecieron en el de Azeneth Velázquez un piso más arriba, para esperar la verdadera liberación de Pacho después de tres liberaciones falsas.


    Pacho Santos había oído la noticia de la liberación de Maruja, la prematura de la suya y la pifia del gobierno. En ese instante entró en el cuarto el hombre que le había hablado en la mañana, y lo llevó del brazo y sin venda hasta la planta baja. Allí se dio cuenta de que la casa estaba vacía, y uno de sus escoltas le informó muerto de risa que se habían llevado los muebles en un camión de mudanza para no pagar el último mes de alquiler. Se despidieron todos con grandes abrazos, y le agradecieron a Pacho lo mucho que habían aprendido de él. La réplica de Pacho fue sincera:

    -Yo también aprendí mucho de ustedes.

    En el garaje le entregaron un libro para que se tapara la cara fingiendo que leía y le cantaron las advertencias. Si tropezaban con la policía debía tirarse del carro para que ellos pudieran escapar. Y la más importante: no debía decir que había estado en Bogotá sino a tres de horas de distancia por una carretera escabrosa. Por una razón tremenda: ellos sabían que Pacho era bastante perspicaz para haberse formado una idea de la dirección de la casa, y no debía revelarla porque los guardianes habían convivido con el vecindario sin precaución alguna durante los largos días del secuestro.

    -Si usted lo cuenta -concluyó el responsable de la liberación- nos toca matar a todos los vecinos para que no nos reconozcan después.

    Frente a la caseta de policía de la avenida Boyacá con la calle 80 el carro se apagó. Se resistió dos veces, tres, cuatro, y a la quinta prendió. Todos sudaron frío. Dos cuadras más allá le quitaron el libro al secuestrado, y lo soltaron en la esquina con tres billetes de a dos mil pesos para el taxi. Cogió el primero que pasó, con un chofer joven y simpático que no quiso cobrarle y se abrió camino a bocinazos y gritos de júbilo por entre la muchedumbre que esperaba en la puerta de su casa. Para los periodistas amarillos fue una desilusión: esperaban a un hombre macilento y derrotado después de doscientos cuarenta y tres días de encierro, y se encontraron con un Pacho Santos rejuvenecido por dentro y por fuera, y más gordo, más atolondrado y con más ansias de vivir que nunca. «Lo devolvieron igualito», declaró su primo Enrique Santos Calderón. Otro, contagiado por el humor jubiloso de la familia, dijo: «Le faltaron unos seis meses más».


    Maruja estaba ya en su casa. Había llegado con Alberto, perseguida por las unidades móviles que los rebasaban, los precedían, transmitiendo en directo a través de los nudos del tránsito. Los conductores que seguían por radio la peripecia los reconocían al pasar y los saludaban con redobles de bocinas, hasta que la ovación se generalizó a lo largo de la ruta.

    Andrés Villamizar había querido regresar a casa cuando perdió el rumbo de su padre, pero había manejado con tanta rudeza que el motor del carro se desprendió y se rompió la barra. Lo dejó al cuidado de los agentes de guardia en la caseta más cercana, y paró el primer automóvil que pasó: un BMW gris oscuro, manejado por un ejecutivo simpático que iba oyendo las noticias. Andrés le dijo quién era, por qué estaba en apuros y le pidió que lo acercara hasta donde pudiera.

    -Súbase -le dijo-, pero le advierto que si es mentira lo que dice le va a ir muy mal.

    En la esquina de la carrera séptima con la calle 80 lo alcanzó una amiga en un viejo Renault. Andrés siguió col, ella, pero el carro se les quedó sin aliento en la cuesta de la Circunvalar. Andrés se trepó como pudo en el último jeep blanco de Radio Cadena Nacional.

    La cuesta que conducía a la casa estaba bloqueada por los automóviles y la muchedumbre de vecinos que se echaban a la calle. Maruja y Villamizar decidieron entonces abandonar el automóvil para caminar los cien metros que les faltaban, y descendieron sin advertirlo en el sitio mismo donde la habían secuestrado. La primera cara que reconoció Maruja entre la muchedumbre enardecida fue la de María del Rosario, creadora y directora de Colombia los Reclama, que por primera vez desde su fundación no transmitió esa noche por falta de tema. Enseguida vio a Andrés, que había saltado como pudo de la camioneta y trataba de llegar hasta su casa en el momento en que un oficial de la policía, alto y apuesto, ordenó cerrar la calle. Andrés, por inspiración pura, lo miró a los ojos y dijo con voz firme:

    -Soy Andrés.

    El oficial no sabía nada de él, pero lo dejó pasar. Maruja lo reconoció cuando corría hacia ella y se abrazaron en medio de los aplausos. Fue necesaria la ayuda de los patrulleros para abrirles paso. Maruja, Alberto y Andrés emprendieron el ascenso de la cuesta con el corazón oprimido, y la emoción los derrotó. Por primera vez se les saltaron las lágrimas que los tres se habían propuesto reprimir. No era para menos: hasta donde alcanzaba la vista, la otra muchedumbre de los buenos vecinos había desplegado banderas en las ventanas de los edificios más altos, y saludaban con una primavera de pañuelos blancos y una ovación inmensa la jubilosa aventura del regreso a casa.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb