News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 73

    They covered her head with a hood that must have been the dirtiest, most foul-smelling one they could find. They put it on with the eye holes at the back of her head, and she could not avoid recalling that this was how they put the hood on Marina when they killed her. She was led, shuffling her feet in the darkness, to a car as comfortable as the one used for the abduction, and they sat her in the same spot, in the same position, and with the same precautions: her head resting on a man’s knees so she could not be seen from the outside. They warned her that there were several police checkpoints, and if they were stopped Maruja had to take off the hood and behave herself.

    AT ONE O’CLOCK THAT AFTERNOON, Villamizar had eaten lunch with his son Andrés. At two-thirty he lay down for a nap, and made up for lost sleep until five-thirty. At six he had just come out of the shower, and was dressing to wait for his wife, when the telephone rang. He picked up the extension on the night table and said no more than “Hello?” An anonymous voice interrupted: “She’ll arrive a few minutes after seven. They’re leaving now.” He hung up. The announcement was unexpected and Villamizar was grateful for it.

    He called the porter to make sure his car was in the garden and the driver ready. He put on a dark suit and a light tie with a diamond pattern to welcome his wife. He was thinner than ever, for he had lost nine pounds in six months. At seven he went to the living room to talk to the journalists while Maruja was arriving. Four of her children were there, and Andrés, their son. Only Nicolás, the musician in the family, was missing, and he would arrive from New York in a few hours. Villamizar sat in the chair closest to the phone.


    BY THIS TIME Maruja was five minutes away from her release. In contrast to the night of the abduction, the drive to freedom was rapid and uneventful. At first they had taken an unpaved road, making the kinds of turns not recommended for a luxury car. Maruja could tell from the conversation that in addition to the man beside her, another was sitting next to the driver. She did not think that any of them was the “Doctor.” After fifteen minutes they had her lie on the floor and stopped for about five minutes, but she did not know why. They came out onto a large, noisy avenue filled with heavy seven o’clock traffic, and then turned with no difficulties onto another avenue. After no more than forty-five minutes altogether, they came to a sudden stop. The man next to the driver gave Maruja a frantic order:

    “Now, get out, move.”

    The man sitting beside her tried to force her out of the car. Maruja struggled.

    “I can’t see,” she shouted.

    She tried to take off the hood but a brutal hand stopped her. “Wait five minutes before you take it off,” he shouted. He shoved her out of the car. Maruja felt the vertigo of empty space, and terror, and thought they had thrown her over a cliff. Solid ground let her breathe again. While she waited for the car to drive away, she sensed she was on a street with little traffic. With great care she raised the hood, saw the houses among the trees with lights in the windows, and then she knew the truth of being free. It was 7:29, and 193 days had passed since the night she had been abducted.

    A solitary automobile came down the avenue, made a U-turn, and stopped across the street, just opposite Maruja. Like Beatriz before her, she thought it could not be a coincidence. That car had to have been sent by the kidnappers to make sure her release was completed. Maruja went up to the driver’s window.

    “Please,” she said, “I’m Maruja Pachón. They just let me go.”

    She only wanted someone to help her find a taxi. But the man let out a yell. Minutes earlier, listening to news on the radio about their imminent release, he had wondered: “Suppose I run into Francisco Santos and he’s looking for a ride?” Maruja longed to see her family, but she let him take her to the nearest house to use the telephone.

    The woman in the house and her children all cried out and embraced her when they recognized her. Maruja felt numb, and everything that happened around her seemed like one more deception arranged by her kidnappers. The man who had taken her to the house was named Manuel Caro, and he was the son-in-law of the owner, Augusto Borrero, whose wife, a former activist in the New Liberalism Party, had worked with Maruja in Luis Carlos Galán’s electoral campaign. But Maruja was seeing life from the outside, as if she were watching a movie screen. She asked for aguardiente—she never knew why— and drank it in one swallow. Then she telephoned her house, but had trouble remembering the number and misdialed twice. A woman answered right away: “Who is it?” Maruja recognized the voice and said, without melodrama:

    “Alexandra! Darling”

    Alexandra shouted:

    “Mamá! Where are you?”

    Alberto Villamizar had jumped up from his chair when the phone rang but Alexandra, who was passing by, picked it up first. Maruja had begun to give her the address, but Alexandra did not have paper or pencil nearby. Villamizar took the receiver and greeted Maruja with stunning casualness:

    “What do you say, baby. How are you?”

    Maruja answered in the same tone:

    “Fine, sweetheart; no problem.”

    He did have paper and pencil ready. He wrote down the address as Maruja gave it to him, but felt that something was not clear and asked to speak to somebody in the family.

    Borrero’s wife gave him the missing details. “Thanks very much,” said Villamizar. “It’s not far. I’m leaving now.”

    He forgot to hang up: The iron self-control he had maintained during the long months of tension suddenly melted away. He ran down the stairs two at a time and dashed across the lobby, followed by an avalanche of reporters armed to the teeth with their battle gear.

    Others, moving in the opposite direction, almost trampled him in the doorway.

    “Maruja’s free,” he shouted. “Let’s go.”

    He got into the car and slammed the door so hard he startled the dozing driver. “Let’s go pick up the señora,” Villamizar said. He gave him the address: Diagonal 107, No. 27-73. “It’s a white house on the parallel road west of the highway,” he said. But he said it so fast the driver became confused and started off in the wrong direction. Villamizar corrected him with a sharpness that was foreign to his character.

    “Watch what you’re doing,” he shouted, “we have to be there in five minutes! If we get lost I’ll cut off your balls!”

    The driver, who had suffered the awful dramas of the abduction along with him, did not turn a hair. Villamizar caught his breath and directed him along the shortest, easiest roads, for he had visualized the route as he was given directions on the phone to be certain he would not get lost. It was the worst time for traffic, but not the worst day.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 73

    Le pusieron una capucha que debía ser la más sucia y pestilente que encontraron. Se la pusieron al revés, con los agujeros de los ojos en la nuca, y no pudo eludir el recuerdo de que así se la habían puesto a Marina para matarla. La llevaron arrastrando los pies en las tinieblas hasta un automóvil tan confortable como el que usaron para el secuestro, y la sentaron en el mismo lugar, en la misma posición, y con las mismas precauciones: la cabeza apoyada en las rodillas de un hombre para que no la vieran desde fuera. Le advirtieron que había varios retenes de policía, y que si los paraban en alguno Maruja debía quitarse la capucha y portarse bien.

    A la una de la tarde Villamizar había almorzado con su hijo Andrés. A las dos y media se acostó para la siesta, y completó el sueño atrasado hasta las cinco y media. A las seis acababa de salir de la ducha y empezaba a vestirse para esperar a la esposa cuando sonó el teléfono. Descolgó la extensión de la mesa de noche y sólo alcanzó a decir: «¿Haber?».

    Una voz anónima lo interrumpió: «Llegará unos minutos después de las siete. Ya están saliendo». Colgó. Fue un anuncio imprevisto que Villamizar agradeció. Llamó al portero para asegurarse de que su automóvil estaba en el jardín y el chofer dispuesto.

    Se vistió de oscuro con corbata de rombos claros para recibir a la esposa. Quedó más esbelto que nunca pues había bajado cuatro kilos en seis meses. A las siete de la noche apareció en la sala para charlar con los periodistas mientras llegaba Maruja. Allí estaban los cuatro hijos de ella, y Andrés, el de ambos. Sólo faltaba Nicolás, el músico de la familia que llegaría de Nueva York dentro de unas horas. Villamizar se sentó en el sillón más cercano del teléfono.


    Maruja estaba entonces a unos cinco minutos de ser libre. Al contrario de la noche del secuestro, el viaje hacia la libertad fue rápido y sin tropiezos. Al principio habían ido por un sendero destapado con vueltas y revueltas nada recomendables para un automóvil de lujo. Maruja vislumbró por las conversaciones que además del hombre a su lado iba otro junto al chofer. No le parecio que uno de ellos fuera el Doctor. Al cabo de un cuarto de hora la obligaron a acostarse en el piso y se detuvieron unos cinco minutos, pero ella no supo por qué. Luego salieron a una avenida grande y ruidosa con el tráfico espeso de las siete, y tomaron sin contratiempo una segunda avenida. De pronto, cuando no habían transcurrido más de tres cuartos de hora en total, el auto móvil frenó en seco. El hombre junto al chofer le dio a Maruja una orden desesperada:

    -Ya, bájese, rápido.

    El que iba junto a ella trató de sacarla del automóvil. Maruja resistió.

    -No veo nada -gritó.

    Quiso quitarse la venda, pero una mano brutal se lo impidió. «Espere cinco minutos antes de quitársela», le gritó. La bajó del automóvil con un empellón. Maruja sintió el vértigo del vacío, el horror, y creyó que la habían tirado a un abismo. El suelo firme le devolvió el aliento. Mientras esperaba a que el carro se alejara, sintió que estaba en una calle de poco tránsito. Con toda precaución se quitó la venda, vio las casas entre los árboles con las primeras ventanas iluminadas, y entonces conoció la verdad de ser libre. Eran las siete y veintinueve y habían pasado ciento noventa y tres días desde la noche en que la secuestraron.

    Un automóvil solitario se acercó por la avenida, dio una vuelta completa y estacionó en la acera contraria, justo frente a Maruja. Ella pensó, como Beatriz en su momento, que una casualidad así no era posible. Aquel carro tenía que ser enviado por los secuestradores para garantizar el final del rescate. Maruja se acercó a la ventanilla del conductor.

    -Por favor -le dijo-, soy Maruja Pachón. Acaban de liberarme.

    Sólo deseaba que la ayudaran a conseguir un taxi. Pero el hombre dio un grito. Minutos antes, escuchando en la radio las noticias de las liberaciones inminentes, se había dicho: «¿Qué tal que me encontrara con Francisco Santos buscando un carro?». Maruja estaba ansiosa de ver a los suyos, pero se dejó llevar hasta la casa de enfrente para hablar por teléfono.

    La dueña de la casa, los niños, todos la abrazaban a gritos cuando la reconocieron. Maruja se sentía anestesiada, y cuanto ocurría a su alrededor le parecía un engaño más de los secuestradores. El hombre que la había recogido se llamaba Manuel Caro, y era yerno del dueño de la casa, Augusto Borrero, cuya esposa era una antigua activista del Nuevo Liberalismo que había trabajado con Maruja en la campaña electoral de Luis Carlos Galán.

    Pero Maruja veía la vida desde fuera, como en una pantalla de cine. Pidió un aguardiente – nunca supo por qué- y se lo tomó de un golpe. Entonces llamó por teléfono a su casa, pero no recordaba bien el número y se equivocó en dos intentos. Una voz de mujer contestó al instante: «¿Quién es?». Maruja la reconoció y dijo sin dramatismo:

    -Alexandra, hija.

    Alexandra gritó:

    -¡Mamá! ¿Dónde estás?

    Alberto Villamizar había saltado del sillón cuando sonó el timbre, pero no alcanzó a ganarle de mano a Alexandra, que por casualidad pasaba cerca del teléfono. Maruja había empezado a dictarle la dirección, pero ella no tenía a la mano lápiz ni papel. Villamizar le quitó la bocina, v saludó a Maruja con una naturalidad pasmosa:

    -Quihubo, nené. ¿Cómo está?

    Maruja le contestó con tono igual.

    -Muy bien, mi amor, no hay problema.

    Él sí tenía papel y lápiz preparados para aquel momento. Anotó la dirección mientras Maruja se la dictaba, pero sintió que algo no estaba claro y pidió que pasaran a alguien de la familia. La esposa de Borrero le hizo las precisiones que faltaban.

    -Mil gracias -dijo Villamizar-. Es cerca. Voy enseguida.

    Se le olvidó colgar, pues el férreo dominio de sí mismo que había mantenido en los largos meses de tensión se le disparó de pronto. Bajó las escaleras del edificio con saltos de dos en dos y atravesó corriendo el vestíbulo, perseguido por la avalancha de periodistas cargados con su parafernalia de guerra. Otros en sentido contrario estuvieron a punto de atropellarlo en el portal.

    -Soltaron a Maruja -les gritó a todos-. Vamos.

    Entró en el automóvil con un portazo tan violento que el chofer adormilado se asustó. «Vamos por la señora», dijo Villamizar. Le dio la dirección: diagonal 107 n° 27- 73. «Es una casa blanca en la paralela occidental de la autopista», precisó. Pero la dijo con una prisa embrollada, y el chofer arrancó mal. Villamizar le corrigió el rumbo con un descontrol extraño a su carácter.

    -Fíjese bien lo que hace -gritó- que tenemos que llegar en cinco minutos. ¡Y si se llega a perder lo capo!

    El chofer que había padecido junto a él los tremendos dramas del secuestro, no se alteró. Villamizar recobró el aliento y lo dirigió por los caminos más cortos y fáciles, pues había visualizado la ruta a medida que le explicaban la dirección en el teléfono, para estar seguro de no perderse. Era la peor hora del tránsito pero no el peor día.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb