News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 72

    The president received Father García Herreros at a special noon meeting. On one side were the priest, two clerics from his community, and Alberto Villamizar with his son Andrés; on the other, the president with his private secretary, Miguel Silva, and Mauricio Vargas. The presidential palace information services took photos and videos to give to the press if things went well. If not, at least the evidence of their failure would not be left up to the media.

    The father, very conscious of the significance of the moment, told the president the details of his meeting with Escobar. He had no doubt at all that Escobar was going to turn himself in and free the hostages, and he backed up his words with the notes the two of them had written. For reasons of security that Escobar himself had outlined, his only condition was that the prison be the one in Envigado, not Itagüí.

    The president read the notes and returned them to the father. He was struck by the fact that Escobar did not promise to release the prisoners but agreed only to raise the issue with the Extraditables. Villamizar explained that this was one of Escobar’s many precautions: He had never admitted to holding the hostages so it could not be used as evidence against him.

    The father asked what he should do if Escobar asked him to be present at his surrender. The president agreed that he should go. When the father raised doubts concerning the safety of the operation, the president replied that no one could provide better guarantees than Escobar for the safely of his own operation. Finally, the president indicated to the father—whose companions seconded the idea—that it was important to keep public statements to a minimum in order to avoid the damage that an inopportune word might create. The father agreed and even made a veiled final offer: “I’ve wanted to be of service in this, and I am at your disposal if you need me for anything else, like making peace with the other priest.” It was clear to everyone that he was referring to the Spanish priest, Manuel Pérez, commander of the National Army of Liberation. The meeting took twenty minutes, and there was no official communiqué. Faithful to his promise, Father GARCÍA Herreros displayed exemplary restraint in his statements to the press.


    MARUJA WATCHED his news conference and learned nothing new. The television newscasts again showed reporters waiting at the houses of the hostages, which may well have been the same images shown the day before. Maruja also repeated the previous day’s routine minute by minute, and had more than enough time to watch the afternoon soap operas. Damaris, energized by the official announcement, had granted her the privilege of choosing the menu for lunch, like condemned prisoners on the eve of their execution. Maruja said, with no touch of irony, that anything would be fine except lentils. But time grew short, Damaris could not go shopping, and there were only lentils with lentils for their farewell lunch.

    For his part, Pacho put on the clothes he had been wearing the day of the kidnapping— these were too tight, since a sedentary life and bad food had made him put on weight— and sat down to listen to the news and smoke one cigarette after the other. He heard all kinds of stories about his release. He heard the corrections, the outright lies of his colleagues made reckless by the tension of waiting. He heard that he had been incognito in a restaurant, but the man eating there turned out to be one of his brothers.

    He reread the editorials, the commentaries, the reports he had written on current events so he would not forget his trade, thinking he might publish them as a document of his captivity when he was freed. There were more than a hundred of them. He read one to his guards that had been written in December, when the traditional political class began its rantings against the legitimacy of the Constituent Assembly. Pacho lashed out at them with an energy and independence that was undoubtedly the product of his thinking in captivity: “We all know how you get votes in Colombia, and how countless parliamentarians won their elections,” he said in an editorial note. He said that buying votes was rampant throughout the country, especially along the coast, that raffling off home appliances in exchange for electoral favors was the order of the day, and that many elected officials paid for their election through other kinds of political corruption, like charging fees over and above their public salaries and parliamentary compensation. And this was why, he said, the same people were always elected, and they, “faced with the possibility of losing their privileges, are now in an uproar.” And he concluded with criticism that included himself: “The impartiality of the media—including El Tiempo— which was making progress after a long, hard struggle, has vanished.”

    The most surprising of his notes, however, was the one he wrote on the reactions of the political class when the M-19 won more than 10 percent of the vote for the Constituent Assembly. “The political aggression against the M-19,” he wrote, “the strictures (or rather, discrimination) against it in the media, show how far we are from tolerance and how far we still have to go in modernizing what matters most: our minds.” He said that the political class had celebrated electoral participation by the former guerrillas only to seem democratic, but when the votes amounted to more than 10 percent they turned to denunciations. And he concluded in the style of his grandfather, Enrique Santos Montejo (“Calibán”), the most widely read columnist in the history of Colombian journalism: “A very specific and traditional sector of Colombians killed the tiger and was frightened by its skin.” Nothing could have been more surprising in someone who since elementary school had stood out as a precocious example of the romantic Right.

    He tore up all his notes except for three that he decided to keep, for reasons he has not been able to explain. He also kept the rough drafts of the messages to his family and the president, and of his will. He would have liked to take the chain they had used to confine him to the bed, hoping that the artist Bernardo Salcedo could make a sculpture with it, but he was not allowed to keep it in case there were incriminating prints on it.

    Maruja, however, did not want any memento of that hideous past, which she intended to erase from her life. But at about six that evening, when the door began to open from the outside, she realized how much those six months of bitterness were going to affect her. Since the death of Marina and the departure of Beatriz, this had been the hour of liberations or executions: the same in both cases. With her heart in her mouth she waited for the sinister ritual sentence: “We’re going, get ready.” It was the “Doctor,” accompanied by the second-in-command who had been there the night before. They both seemed rushed.

    “Now, now!” the “Doctor” urged Maruja. “Move it!”

    She had imagined the moment so often that she felt overwhelmed by a strange need to gain some time, and she asked about her ring.

    “I sent it with your sister-in-law,” said the low-ranking boss.

    “That’s not true,” Maruja replied with absolute calm. “You told me you had seen it after that.”

    More than the ring, what she wanted then was to embarrass him in front of his superior. But the “Doctor” pretended not to notice because of the pressure of time. The major-domo and his wife brought Maruja the bag that held her personal effects and the gifts that various guards had given her during her captivity: Christmas cards, the sweat-suit, the towel, magazines, a book or two. The gentle boys who had guarded her in the final days had nothing to give but medals and pictures of saints, and they asked her to pray for them, not to forget them, to do something to get them out of their bad life.

    “Anything you want,” said Maruja. “If you ever need me, get in touch with me and I’ll help you.”

    The “Doctor” could do no less: “What can I give you to remember me by?” he said, rooting through his pockets. He took out a 9 mm shell and handed it to Maruja.

    “Here,” he said, not really joking. “The bullet we didn’t shoot you with.”

    It was not easy to free Maruja from the embraces of the major-domo and Damaris, who raised her mask as high as her nose to kiss her and ask that she not forget her. Maruja felt a sincere emotion. This was, after all, the end of the longest, most awful time of her life, and its happiest moment.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 72

    El presidente recibió al padre García Herreros en audiencia especial a las doce del día. De un lado estaba el padre con dos sacerdotes de su comunidad, y Alberto Villamizar con su hijo Andrés. Del otro, el presidente con el secretario privado, Miguel Silva, y con Mauricio Vargas. Los servicios informativos de palacio tomaron fotos y videos para dárselos a la prensa si las cosas salían bien. Si no salían bien, al menos no le quedarían a la prensa los testimonios del fracaso.

    El padre, muy consciente de la importancia del momento, le contó al presidente los pormenores de la reunión con Escobar. No tenía la menor duda de que iba a entregarse y a liberar a los rehenes, y respaldó sus palabras con las notas escritas a cuatro manos. El único elemento condicionante era que la cárcel fuera la de Envigado y no la de Itagüí, por razones de seguridad argumentadas por el propio Escobar.

    El presidente leyó los apuntes y se los devolvió al padre. Le llamó la atención que Escobar no prometía liberar a los secuestrados sino que se comprometía a gestionarlo ante los Extraditables. Villamizar le explicó que era una de las tantas precauciones de Escobar: nunca admitió que tuviera a los secuestrados para que no sirviera como prueba en contra suya.

    El padre preguntó qué debía hacer si Escobar le pedía que lo acompañara para entregarse. El presidente estuvo de acuerdo en que fuera. Ante dudas sobre la seguridad de la operación, planteadas por el padre, el presidente le respondió que nadie podía garantizar mejor que Escobar la seguridad de su propio operativo. Por último, el presidente le señaló al padre -y los acompañantes de éste lo apoyaron- que era importante reducir al mínimo las declaraciones públicas, no fuera que todo se dañara por una palabra inoportuna. El padre estuvo de acuerdo y alcanzó a hacer una velada oferta final: «Yo he querido con esto prestar un servicio y quedo a sus órdenes si me necesitan para al o más, como buscar la paz con ese otro señor cura». Fue claro para todos que se refería al cura español Manuel Pérez, comandante del Ejército Nacional de Liberación. La reunión terminó a los veinte minutos, y no hubo comunicado oficial. Fiel a su promesa, el padre García Herreros dio un ejemplo de sobriedad en sus declaraciones a la prensa.


    Maruja vio la conferencia de prensa del padre y no encontró nada nuevo. Los noticieros de televisión volvieron a mostrar a los periodistas de guardia en las casas de los secuestrados, que bien podían haber sido las mismas imágenes del día anterior. También Maruja repitió la jornada de ayer minuto a minuto, y le sobró tiempo para ver las telenovelas de la tarde. Damaris, reanimada por el anuncio oficial, le había concedido la gracia de ordenar el menú del almuerzo, como los condenados a muerte en la víspera de la ejecución. Maruja dijo sin intención de burla que quería cualquier cosa que no fueran lentejas. Al final se les enredó el tiempo, Damaris no pudo ir de compras, y sólo hubo lentejas con lentejas para el almuerzo de despedida.

    Pacho, por su parte, se puso la ropa que llevaba el día del secuestro -que le quedaba estrecha por el aumento de peso del sedentarismo y la mala comida-, y se sentó a oír las noticias y a fumar, encendiendo un cigarrillo con la colilla del otro. Oyó toda clase de versiones sobre su liberación. Oyó las rectificaciones, las mentiras puras y simples de sus colegas atolondrados por la tensión de la espera. Oyó que lo habían descubierto comiendo de incógnito en un restaurante, y era un hermano suyo.

    Releyó las notas editoriales, los comentarios, las informaciones que había escrito sobre la actualidad para no olvidar el oficio, pensando que las publicaría al salir como un testimonio del cautiverio. Eran más de cien. Levó una a sus guardianes, escrita en diciembre, cuando la clase política tradicional comenzó a despotricar contra la legitimidad de la Asamblea Constituyente. Pacho la fustigó con una energía y un sentido de independencia que sin duda eran producto de las reflexiones del cautiverio. «Todos sabemos cómo se obtienen votos en Colombia y cómo muchos de los parlamentarios salieron elegidos», decía en una nota. Decía que la compra de votos era rampante en todo el país, y especialmente en la costa; que  las rifas de electrodomésticos a cambio de favores electorales estaban al orden del día, y que muchos de los elegidos lo lograban por otros vicios políticos, como el cobro de comisiones sobre los sueldos públicos y los auxilios parlamentarios. Por eso -decía- los elegidos eran siempre los mismos con las mismas que «ante la posibilidad de perder sus privilegios, ahora lloran a gritos». Y concluía casi contra sí mismo: «La imparcialidad de los medios -e incluyo a El Tiempo- por la que tanto se luchó y que se estaba abriendo paso, se ha esfumado».

    Sin embargo, la más sorprendente de sus notas fue la que escribió sobre las reacciones de la clase política contra el M-19 cuando éste obtuvo una votación de más del diez por ciento para la Asamblea Constituyente. «La agresividad política contra el M-19 -escribió-, su restricción (por no decir discriminación) en los medios de comunicación, muestra qué tan lejos estamos de la tolerancia y cuánto nos falta para modernizar lo más importante: la mente.» Decía que la clase política había celebrado la participación electoral de los antiguos guerrilleros sólo por parecer democrática, pero cuando la votación superó el diez por ciento se desató en denuestos en su contra. Y concluyó al estilo de su abuelo, Enrique Santos Montejo (Calibán), el columnista más leído en la historia del periodismo nacional: «Un sector muy específico y tradicional de los colombianos mató el tigre y se asustó con el cuero». Nada podía ser más sorprendente en alguien que se había destacado desde la escuela primaria como un espécimen precoz de la derecha romántica.

    Rompió todas las notas, menos tres que decidió conservar por razones que él mismo no ha logrado explicarse. También conservó el borrador de los mensajes a su familia y al presidente de la república, y el de su testamento. Hubiera querido llevarse la cadena con que lo amarraban a la cama con la ilusión de que el escultor Bernardo Salcedo hiciera con ella una escultura, pero no se lo permitieron por temor de que tuviera huellas identificables.

    Maruja, en cambio, no quiso conservar ningún recuerdo de aquel pasado atroz que se proponía borrar de su vida. Pero como a las seis de la tarde, cuando la puerta empezó a abrirse desde fuera, se dio cuenta de hasta qué punto aquellos seis meses de amargura iban a condicionar su vida. Desde la muerte de Marina y la salida de Beatriz, aquélla era la hora de las liberaciones o las ejecuciones: igual en ambos casos. Esperó con el alma en un hilo la fórmula siniestra del ritual: «Ya nos vamos, alístese». Era el Doctor, acompañado por el segundón que había estado la víspera. Ambos parecían apurados por la hora.

    -¡Ya, ya! -instó el Doctor a Maruja-. ¡Córrale!

    Había prefigurado tantas veces aquel instante, que se sintió dominada por una rara necesidad de ganar tiempo, y preguntó por su anillo.

    -Se lo mandé con su cuñada -dijo el segundón.

    -No es cierto -contestó Maruja con toda calma-. Usted me dijo que lo había visto después.

    Más que el anillo, lo que le interesaba entonces era poner al otro en evidencia frente a su superior. Pero éste se hizo el desentendido, bajo la presión del tiempo. El mayordomo y su mujer le llevaron a Maruja el talego con los objetos personales y los regalos que le habían dado los distintos guardianes a lo largo del cautiverio: tarjetas de Navidad, la sudadera, la toalla, revistas y algún libro. Los muchachos mansos que la habían atendido en los últimos días no tenían nada más para darle que medallas y estampas de santos, y le suplicaban que rezara por ellos, que se acordara de ellos, que hiciera algo para sacarlos de la mala vida.

    -Todo lo que quieran -les dijo Maruja-. Si alguna vez me necesitan, búsquenme, y yo los ayudo.

    El Doctor no quiso ser menos: «¿Qué le puedo dar yo de recuerdo?», se dijo, esculcándose los bolsillos. Sacó una cápsula de 9 milímetros, y se la dio a Maruja.

    -Tome -le dijo, más en serio que en broma-. La bala que no le metimos.

    No fue fácil rescatar a Maruja de los abrazos del mayordomo y de Damaris, que se levantó la máscara hasta la nariz para besarla y pedirle que no la olvidara. Maruja sintió una emoción sincera. Era, a fin de cuentas, el final de los días más largos y atroces de su vida, y el minuto más feliz.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb