News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 70

    CHAPTER 11

    MARUJA HEARD the Extraditables’ communiqué at seven o’clock on the evening of Sunday, May 19. It did not mention a time or a date for their release, and considering how the Extraditables operated, it could happen either in five minutes or two months later. The major-domo and his wife burst into the room, ready for a party.

    “It’s over!” they shouted. “We have to celebrate.”

    Maruja had a hard time convincing them to wait for a direct official order from one of Pablo Escobar’s emissaries. The news did not surprise her, for in the past few weeks there had been unmistakable signs that things were going better than she had supposed when they made the disheartening promise to carpet the room. More and more friends and popular actors had appeared on recent broadcasts of “Colombia Wants Them Back.” Her optimism renewed, Maruja followed the soap operas with so much attention that she thought she could find coded messages even in the glycerine tears of impossible loves. The news from Father García Herreros, which grew more spectacular every day, made it clear that the unbelievable was going to happen.

    Maruja wanted to put on the clothes she had been wearing when she arrived, foreseeing a sudden release that would have her appearing in front of the cameras dressed in a captive’s melancholy sweat-suit. But the lack of new developments on the radio, and the disappointment of the major-domo who had expected the official order before he went to bed, put her on guard against playing the fool, if only to herself. She took a large dose of sleeping pills and did not wake until the following day, Monday, with the frightening impression that she did not know who she was, or where.

    VILLAMIZAR HAD NOT been troubled by any doubts, for the communiqué from Escobar was unequivocal. He passed it on to the reporters, but they ignored it. At about nine, a radio station announced with great fanfare that Señora Maruja Pachón de Villamizar had just been released in the Salitre district. The reporters left in a stampede, but Villamizar did not move.

    “They would never let her go in an isolated place like that, where anything could happen to her,” he said. “It’ll be tomorrow, for sure, and in a place that’s safe.”

    A reporter barred his way with a microphone.

    “What’s surprising,” he said, “is the confidence you have in those people.”

    “It’s his word of honor,” said Villamizar.

    The reporters he knew best stayed in the hallways of the apartment—and some were at the bar—until Villamizar asked them to leave so he could lock up for the night. Others camped in vans and cars outside the building, and spent the night there.

    On Monday Villamizar woke to the six o’clock news, as he always did, and stayed in bed until eleven. He tried to use the phone as little as possible, but there were constant calls from reporters and friends. The news of the day continued to be the wait for the hostages.


    FATHER GARCÍA HERREROS had visited Mariavé on Thursday, to tell her in confidence that her husband would be released the following Sunday. It has not been possible to learn how he obtained the news seventy-two hours before the first communiqué from the Extraditables, but the Santos family accepted it as fact. To celebrate they took a picture of Hernando with Mariavé and the children and published it on Saturday in El Tiempo, hoping that Pacho would understand it as a personal message. He did: As soon as he opened the paper in his captive’s cell, Pacho had a clear intuition that his father’s efforts had come to a successful conclusion. He spent an uneasy day waiting for the miracle, slipping innocent-seeming ploys into his conversation with the guards to see if he could catch them in an indiscretion, but he learned nothing. Radio and television, which had reported nothing else for several weeks, did not mention it at all that Saturday.

    Sunday began the same way. It seemed to Pacho that the guards were tense and uneasy in the morning, but as the day wore on they made a gradual return to their Sunday routine: a special lunch of pizza, movies and taped television programs, some cards, some soccer.

    Then, when they least expected it, the newscast “Criptón” opened with the lead story: The Extraditables had announced the release of the last two hostages. Pacho jumped up with a triumphant shout and threw his arms around the guard on duty. “I thought I’d have a heart attack,” he has said. But the guard responded with skeptical stoicism.

    “Let’s wait till we get confirmation,” he said.

    They made a rapid survey of other news programs on radio and television, and found the communiqué on all of them. One was transmitting from the editorial room at El Tiempo, and after eight months Pacho began to feel again the solid ground of a free life: the rather desolate atmosphere of the Sunday shift, the usual faces in their glass cubicles, his own work site. Following another repetition of the announcement of their imminent release, the television program’s special correspondent waved the microphone and—like an ice cream cone—put it up to the mouth of a sports editor and asked:

    “What do you think of the news?”

    Pacho could not control the reflexive response of a chief editor.

    “What a moronic question!” he said. “Was he expecting them to say I should be held for another month?”

    As always, the radio news was less rigorous but more emotional. Many reporters were concentrating on Hernando Santos’s house, broadcasting statements from every person who crossed their path. This increased Pacho’s nervous tension, for it did not seem unreasonable to think he might be released that same night. “This was the start of the longest twenty-six hours of my life,” he has said. “Each second was like an hour.”

    The press was everywhere. Television cameras moved back and forth from Pacho’s house to his father’s, both of which had been overflowing since Sunday night with relatives, friends, curious onlookers, and journalists from all over the world. Mariavé and Hernando Santos cannot remember how many times they went from one house to the other, following each unforeseen turn in the news, until Pacho was no longer certain which house was which on television. The worst thing was that at each one the same questions were asked over and over again and the trip between the houses became intolerable. There was so much confusion that Hernando Santos could not get through the mob crowding around his own house, and had to slip in through the garage.

    The off-duty guards came in to congratulate Pacho. They were so happy at the news that he forgot they were his jailers, and it turned into a party of godfathers who were all the same age. At that moment he realized that his goal of rehabilitating his guards would be frustrated by his release. They were boys from the Antioquian countryside who had emigrated to Medellín, lost their way in the slums, and killed and were killed with no scruples. As a rule they came from broken homes where the father was a negative figure and the mother a very strong one. They were used to working for very high pay and had no sense of money.

    When at last he fell asleep, Pacho had a horrifying dream that he was free and happy but suddenly opened his eyes and saw the ceiling unchanged. He spent the rest of the night tormented by the mad rooster—madder and closer than ever—and not knowing for certain where reality lay.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 70

    Capítulo 11

    Maruja oyó el comunicado de los Extraditables el domingo 19 de mayo a las siete de la noche. No decía ni hora ni fecha de la liberación, y por el modo de proceder los Extraditables lo mismo podía ser cinco minutos después que dentro de dos meses. El mayordomo y su mujer irrumpieron en el cuarto dispuestos para la fiesta.

    -Ya esto se acabó -gritaron-. Hay que celebrarlo.

    Trabajo le costó a Maruja convencerlos de que esperaran la orden oficial por boca de algún emisario directo de Pablo Escobar. La noticia no la sorprendió, pues en las últimas semanas había recibido señales inconfundibles de que las cosas iban mejor de como las supuso cuando le llegaron con la promesa descorazonadora de alfombrar el cuarto. En las emisiones recientes de Colombia los Reclama aparecían cada vez más amigos y actores populares. Con el optimismo renovado, Maruja seguía las telenovelas con tanta atención, que creyó descubrir mensajes cifrados hasta en las lágrimas de glicerina de los amores imposibles. Las noticias del padre García Herreros, cada día más espectaculares, hicieron evidente que lo increíble iba a suceder.

    Maruja quiso ponerse la ropa con que había llegado, previendo una liberación intempestiva que la hiciera aparecer frente a las cámaras con la triste sudadera de secuestrada. Pero la falta de nuevas noticias en la radio, y la desilusión del mayordomo, que esperaba la orden oficial antes de dormirse, la pusieron en guardia contra el ridículo, aunque sólo fuera ante sí misma. Se tomó una dosis alta de somníferos y no despertó hasta el día siguiente, lunes, con la impresión pavorosa de no saber quién era ni dónde estaba.

    A Villamizar no lo había inquietado ninguna duda, pues el comunicado de Escobar era inequívoco. Se lo transmitió a los periodistas, pero no le hicieron caso. Como a las nueve, una emisora de radio anunció con grandes aspavientos que la señora Maruja Pachón de Villamizar acababa de ser liberada en el barrio del Salitre. Los periodistas salieron en estampida, pero Villamizar no se inmutó.

    -Nunca la soltarán en un lugar tan apartado para que le pase cualquier vaina -dijo-. Será mañana con seguridad y en un lugar seguro.

    Un reportero le cerró el paso con el micrófono.

    -Lo que sorprende -le dijo- es la confianza que usted le tiene a esa gente.

    -Es palabra de guerra -dijo Villamizar.

    Los periodistas de más confianza se quedaron en los corredores del apartamento -y algunos en el bar- hasta que Villamizar los invitó a salir para cerrar la casa. Otros hicieron campamentos en camionetas y automóviles frente al edificio, y allí pasaron la noche.

    Villamizar despertó el lunes con los noticieros de las seis de la mañana, como de costumbre, y se quedó en la cama hasta las once. Trató de ocupar el teléfono lo menos posible, pero las llamadas de periodistas y amigos no le dieron tregua. La noticia del día seguía siendo la espera de los secuestrados.


    El padre García Herreros había visitado a Mariavé el miércoles 15 de mayo para darle la noticia confidencial de que su esposo sería liberado el domingo siguiente. No ha sido posible saber cómo la obtuvo setenta y dos horas antes del primer comunicado de los Extraditables sobre las liberaciones, pero la familia Santos lo dio por hecho. Para celebrarlo hicieron fotos del padre con Mariavé y los niños, y la publicaron el sábado en El Tiempo con la esperanza de que Pacho la entendiera como un mensaje personal. Así fue: tan pronto como abrió el periódico en su celda de cautivo, Pacho tuvo la revelación nítida de que las gestiones del padre habían culminado. Pasó el día inquieto a la espera del milagro, deslizando trampas inocentes en la conversación con los guardianes para ver si se les escapaba alguna indiscreción, pero no consiguió nada. La radio y la televisión, que no le daban tregua al tema desde hacía varias semanas, lo pasaron por alto aquel sábado.

    El domingo empezó igual. A Pacho le pareció que los guardianes estaban raros y ansiosos por la mañana, pero en el curso del día volvieron poco a poco a la rutina dominical: almuerzo especial con pizza, películas y programas enlatados de televisión, un poco de barajas, un poco de fútbol. De pronto, cuando ya nadie lo esperaba, el noticiero Criptón abrió con la primicia de que los Extraditables anunciaban la liberación de los dos últimos secuestrados. Pacho dio un salto con un grito de triunfo, y se abrazó a su guardián de turno. «Creí que me iba a dar un infarto», ha dicho. Pero el guardián lo recibió con un estoicismo sospechoso.

    -Esperemos a que llegue la confirmación -dijo.

    Hicieron una barrida rápida por los otros noticieros de radio y televisión, y el comunicado estaba en todos. Uno de ellos transmitía desde la sala de redacción de El Tiempo, y Pacho volvió a sentir después de nueve meses el piso firme de la vida libre: el ambiente más bien desolado del turno dominical, las caras de siempre en sus cubículos de cristal, su propio sitio de trabajo. Después de repetir una vez más el anuncio de la liberación inminente, el enviado especial del noticiero blandió el micrófono -como un barquillo de helado-, lo arrimó a la boca de un redactor deportivo, y le preguntó:

    -¿Cómo le parece la noticia?

    Pacho no pudo reprimir un reflejo de redactor jefe.

    -¡Qué pregunta tan idiota! -dijo-. ¿0 esperaba que dijeran que me dejarán un mes más?

    La radio, como siempre, era menos rigurosa, pero también más emotiva. Unos y otros se estaban concentrando en la casa de Hernando Santos, desde donde transmitían declaraciones de todo el que encontraban a su paso. Esto aumentó el nerviosismo de Pacho, pues no le pareció descabellado pensar que lo soltaran esa misma noche. «Así empezaron las veintiséis horas más largas de mi vida -ha dicho-. Cada segundo era como una hora.»

    La prensa estaba en todas partes. Las cámaras de televisión iban de la casa de Pacho a la de su padre, ambas desbordadas desde la noche del domingo por parientes, amigos, simples curiosos y periodistas de todo el mundo. Mariavé y Hernando Santos no recuerdan cuántas veces fueron de una casa a otra según los rumbos imprevistos que tomaban las noticias, hasta el punto de que Pacho terminó por no saber a ciencia cierta cuál era la casa de quién en la televisión. Lo peor era que en cada casa volvían a hacerles a ambos las mismas Preguntas, y la jornada se hizo insoportable. Era tal el desorden, que Hernando Santos no logró abrirse paso entre la muchedumbre embotellada en su propia casa, y tuvo que colarse por el garaje.

    Los guardianes que no estaban de turno acudieron a felicitarlo. Estaban tan alegres con la noticia, que Pacho se olvidó de que eran sus carceleros, y la reunión se convirtió en una fiesta de compadres de una misma generación. En aquel momento se dio cuenta de que su propósito de rehabilitar a sus guardianes quedaba frustrado por su libertad. Eran muchachos de la provincia antioqueña que emigraban a Medellín, se encontraban perdidos en las comunas y mataban y se hacían matar sin escrúpulos. Por lo general procedían de familias rotas donde la figura del papá era muy negativa, y muy fuerte la de la madre. Estaban acostumbrados a trabajar por un ingreso muy alto y no tenían el sentido del dinero.

    Cuando por fin logró dormir, Pacho tuvo el sueño terrorífico de que era libre y feliz, pero de pronto abrió los ojos y vio el mismo techo de siempre. El resto de la noche lo pasó atormentado por el gallo loco -más loco y cercano que nunca- y sin saber a ciencia cierta dónde estaba la realidad.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb