News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 68

    The day following his television message, Father García Herreros came to the Itagüí prison—unannounced and with no prior arrangements—to ask the Ochoa brothers how he could be useful in arranging Escobar’s surrender. The Ochoas thought he was a saint, with only one problem that had to be taken into account: For more than forty years he had communicated with his audience through his daily sermon, and he could not conceive of any action that did not begin by telling the public about it. The decisive factor for the Ochoas, however, was that don Fabio thought he was a providential mediator—first, because with him Escobar would not feel the reluctance that kept him from seeing Villamizar, and second, because his image as a holy man could convince the entire Escobar crew to turn themselves in.

    Two days later, at a press conference, Father García Herreros revealed that he was in contact with those responsible for the abduction of the journalists, and expressed his optimism that they would soon be free. Villamizar did not hesitate for a moment, and went to see him at “God’s Minute.” He accompanied him on his second visit to the Itagüí prison, and on the same day the costly, confidential process began that would culminate in the surrender. It began with a letter dictated by the priest in the Ochoas’ cell and copied by María Lía on the typewriter. He improvised it as he stood in front of her, using the same manner, the same apostolic tone, the same Santanderean accent as in his one- minute homilies. He invited Escobar to join him in a search for the road that would bring peace to Colombia. He announced his hope that the government would name him as guarantor “that your rights, and those of your family and friends, will be respected.” But he warned him not to ask for things the government could not grant. Before concluding with “affectionate greetings,” he stated what was in reality, the practical purpose of the letter: “If you believe we can meet in a place that is safe for both of us, let me know.”

    Escobar answered three days later, in his own hand. He agreed to surrender as a sacrifice for peace. He made it clear that he did not expect a pardon, was not asking for criminal prosecution but disciplinary action against the police wreaking havoc in the slums, and did not renounce his determination to respond with drastic reprisals. He was prepared to confess to any crime, though he knew with certainty that no judge, Colombian or foreign, had enough evidence to convict him, and he trusted that his adversaries would be subjected to the same strict procedures. However, despite the father’s most fervent hope, he made no reference to his proposal to meet with him.

    Father García Herreros had promised Villamizar that he would control his informative impulses, and at first he kept his word, but his almost boyish spirit of adventure was greater than his power to control them. The expectations created were so great, and there was so much coverage in the press, that from then on he could not make a move without a train of reporters and mobile television and radio crews following him right up to his front door.

    AFTER FIVE MONTHS of working in absolute secret, under the almost sacramental silence imposed by Rafael Pardo, Villamizar thought that the easy talk of Father García Herreros put the entire operation at perpetual risk. This was when he requested and received help from the people closest to the father—beginning with Paulina—and was able to go forward with preparations for certain actions without having to inform the priest ahead of time.

    On May 13 he received a message from Escobar in which he asked him to bring the father to La Loma and keep him there for as long as necessary. He said it might be three days or three months, because he had to review in person and in detail every stage of the operation. The possibility even existed that it could be canceled at the last minute if there were any doubts at all about security. Fortunately, the father was always available in a matter that had cost him so much sleep. At five o’clock on the morning of May 14, Villamizar knocked at his front door and found him working in his study as if it were the middle of the day.

    “Come, Father,” he said, “We’re going to Medellín.”

    At La Loma the Ochoa sisters were prepared to entertain the father for as long as necessary. Don Fabio was not there, but the women in the house would take care of everything. It was not easy to distract him because the father knew that a trip as sudden and unplanned as this one could only be for something very serious.

    The long breakfast was delicious, and the father ate well. At about ten, making an effort not to be too melodramatic, Martha Nieves told him that Escobar would be seeing him sometime soon. He gave a start, became very happy, but did not know what to do until Villamizar made the reality clear to him.

    “It’s better for you to know from the very beginning, Father,” he said. “You may have to go alone with the driver, and nobody knows where he’ll take you, or for how long.”

    The father turned pale. He could barely hold the rosary between his fingers as he paced back and forth, reciting his invented prayers aloud. Each time he passed the windows he looked toward the road, torn between terror that the car coming for him would appear, and fear that it would not come at all. He wanted to make a phone call but then realized the danger on his own. “Fortunately, there’s no need for telephones when you talk to God,” he said. He did not want to sit at the table during lunch, which was late and even more appetizing than breakfast. In the room that had been prepared for him, there was a bed. The women tried to convince him to lie down for a while, and he seemed to agree. But he did not sleep. He was restive as he read Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time, a popular book that attempted to demonstrate with mathematical calculations that God does not exist. At about four he came to the room where Villamizar was dozing.

    “Alberto,” he said, “We’d better go back to Bogotá.”

    It was difficult to dissuade him, but the women succeeded with their charm and tact. At dusk he had another relapse, but by this time there was no escape. He knew the grave risks involved in traveling at night. When it was time to go to bed he asked for help in removing his contact lenses, since Paulina was the one who took them out and put them in for him, and he did not know how to do it alone. Villamizar did not sleep, because he accepted the possibility that Escobar might consider the dark of night as the safest time for their meeting.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 68

    Al día siguiente del mensaje radial -sin anuncio ni trámites previos-, el padre García Herreros se presentó en la cárcel de Itagüí, para preguntarles a los hermanos Ochoa cómo podía ser útil en la entrega de Escobar. A los Ochoa les dejó la impresión de que era un santo, con un solo inconveniente para tomar en cuenta: por más de cuarenta años había estado en comunicación con la audiencia a través de su prédica diaria, y no concebía una gestión que no empezara por contárselo a la opinión pública. Pero lo definitivo para ellos fue que a don Fabio le pareció un mediador providencial. Primero, porque Escobar no tendría con él las reticencias que le impedían recibir a Villamizar. Y segundo, porque su imagen divinizada podía convencer a la tripulación de Escobar para la entrega de todos.

    Dos días después, el padre García Herreros reveló en rueda de prensa que estaba en contacto con los responsables del cautiverio de los periodistas, y expresó su optimismo por su pronta liberación. Villamizar no vaciló un segundo para ir a buscarlo en El Minuto de Dios. Lo acompañó en su segunda visita a la cárcel de Itagüí, y el mismo día se inició el proceso, dispendioso y confidencial, que había de culminar con la entrega. Empezó con una carta que el padre dictó en la celda de los Ochoa, y que María Lía copió en la máquina de escribir. La improvisó de pie frente a ella, en el mismo talante, el mismo tono apostólico y el mismo acento santandereano de sus homilías de un minuto. Lo invitó a que buscaran juntos el camino para pacificar a Colombia. Le anunció su esperanza de que el gobierno lo nombrara garante «para que se respeten tus derechos y los de tu familia y amigos». Pero le advirtió que no pidiera cosas que el gobierno no pudiera concederle. Antes de terminar con «mis saludos cariñosos», le dijo lo que en realidad era el propósito práctico de la carta: «Si crees que podemos encontrarnos en alguna parte segura para los dos, dímelo».

    Escobar contestó tres días después, de su puño y letra. Aceptaba entregarse como un sacrificio para la paz. Dejaba claro que no aspiraba al indulto ni pedía sanción penal sino disciplinaria contra los policías que asolaban las comunas, pero no renunciaba a su determinación de responder con represalias drásticas. Estaba dispuesto a confesar algún delito, aunque sabía de seguro que ningún juez colombiano o extranjero tenía pruebas suficientes para condenarlo, y confiaba en que sus adversarios fueran sometidos al mismo régimen. Sin embargo, contra lo que el padre esperaba con ansiedad, no hacía ninguna referencia a su propuesta de reunirse con él.

    El padre le había prometido a Villamizar que controlaría sus ímpetus informativos, y al principio lo cumplió en parte, pero su espíritu de aventura casi infantil era superior a sus fuerzas. La expectativa que se creó fue tal, y tan grande la movilización de la prensa, que desde entonces no dio un paso sin una cauda de reporteros y equipos móviles de televisión y radio que lo perseguía hasta la puerta de su casa.

    Después de cinco meses de trabajar en absoluto secreto bajo el hermetismo casi sacramental de Rafael Pardo, Villamizar pensaba que la facilidad verbal del padre García Herreros mantenía en un riesgo perpetuo el conjunto de la operación. Entonces solicitó y obtuvo la ayuda de la gente más cercana al padre -con Paulina en primera línea- y pudo adelantar los preparativos de algunas acciones sin tener que informarlo a él por anticipado.

    El 13 de mayo recibió un mensaje de Escobar en el cual le pedía que llevara al padre a La Loma y lo tuviera allí por el tiempo que fuera necesario. Advirtió que lo mismo podían ser tres días que tres meses, pues tenía que hacer una revisión personal y minuciosa de cada paso de la operación. Existía inclusive la posibilidad de que a última hora se anulara por cualquier duda de seguridad. El padre, por fortuna, estaba siempre en disponibilidad plena para un asunto que le quitaba el sueño. El 14 de mayo a las cinco de la mañana, Villamizar tocó a la puerta de su casa, y lo encontró trabajando en su estudio como si fuera pleno día.

    -Camine, padre -le dijo-, nos vamos para Medellín.

    Las Ochoa tenían todo dispuesto en La Loma para entretener al padre por el tiempo que fuera necesario. Don Fabio no estaba, pero las mujeres de la casa se encargarían de todo.  No fue fácil distraer al padre, porque él se daba cuenta de que un viaje tan imprevisto y rápido no podía ser sino por algo muy serio.

    El desayuno fue trancado y largo y el padre comió bien. Como a las diez de la mañana, tratando de no dramatizar demasiado, Martha Nieves le reveló que Escobar iba a recibirlo de un momento a otro. Él se sobresaltó, se puso feliz, pero no supo qué hacer, hasta que Villamizar lo puso en la realidad.

    -Es mejor que lo sepa desde ahora, padre -le advirtió-. Tal vez tenga que irse solo con el chofer, y no se sabe para dónde ni por cuánto tiempo.

    El padre palideció. Apenas si podía sostener el rosario entre los dedos, mientras se paseaba de un lado a otro, rezando en voz alta sus oraciones inventadas. Cada vez que pasaba por las ventanas miraba hacia el camino, dividido entre el terror de que apareciera el carro que venía por él, y las ansias de que no llegara. Quiso hablar por teléfono, pero él mismo tomó conciencia del peligro. «Por fortuna no se necesita de teléfonos para hablar con Dios», dijo. No quiso sentarse a la mesa durante el almuerzo, que fue tardío y más apetitoso aún que el desayuno. En el cuarto preparado para él había una cama con marquesina de pasamanería como la de un obispo. Las mujeres trataron de convencerlo de que descansara un poco, y él pareció aceptar. Pero no durmió. Leía con inquietud Breve Historia del Tíempo, de Stephen Hawking, un libro de moda en el cual se trataba de demostrar por cálculo matemático que Dios no existe. Hacia las cuatro de la tarde apareció en la sala donde Villamizar dormitaba.

    -Alberto -le dijo-, mejor regresemos a Bogotá.

    Costó trabajo disuadirlo, pero las mujeres lo consiguieron con su encanto y su tacto. Al atardecer tuvo otra recaída, pero ya no había escapatoria. Él mismo fue consciente de los riesgos graves de viajar de noche. A la hora de acostarse pidió ayuda para quitarse los lentes de contacto, pues quien se los quitaba y se los ponía era Paulina, y no sabía hacerlo solo. Villamizar no durmió, porque no descartaba la posibilidad de que Escobar considerara que eran más seguras para la cita las sombras de la noche.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb