News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 67

    THESE WERE the only encouraging signs when Father García Herreros sent his cryptic message to Pablo Escobar. How he made that providential determination, and what the sea of Covenas had to do with it, is something that still intrigues the nation. Yet how he happened to think of it is even more intriguing. On Friday, April 12, 1991, he visited Dr. Manuel Elkin Patarroyo—the inspired inventor of the malaria vaccine—to ask him to set up a clinic, in the area of the “God’s Minute” charity, for the early detection of AIDS. In addition to a young priest from his community, he was accompanied by an old-style Antioquian, a great friend who advised him on earthly matters. By his own decision, this benefactor, who has asked that his name not be mentioned, not only had built and paid for Father García Herreros’s private chapel, but also had made voluntary contributions to his social service projects. In the car that was taking them to Dr. Patarroyo’s Institute of Immunology, he felt a kind of urgent inspiration.

    “Listen, Father,” he said. “Why don’t you do something to move this thing along and help Pablo Escobar turn himself in?”

    He said it with no preliminaries and no conscious motive. “It was a message from above,” he would say later in the way he always refers to God, with the respect of a servant and the familiarity of a Godfather. The father reacted as if an arrow had pierced his heart. He turned ashen. Dr. Patarroyo, who did not know him, was later struck by the energy shining from his eyes, and by his business sense, but to his Antioquian companion he seemed changed. “It was like Father was floating,” he has said. “During the interview the only thing on his mind was what I had said, and when we left I thought he looked so excited that I began to worry.” This is why he took the father away for the weekend to rest at a vacation house in Covenas, a popular Caribbean resort that swarms with thousands of tourists and is the terminus of a pipeline bringing in 250,000 barrels of crude oil every day.

    The father did not have a moment’s peace. He hardly slept; he would leave the table in the middle of meals and take long walks along the beach at all hours of the day or night. “Oh sea of Covenas,” he shouted into the roar of the surf. “Can I do it? Should I do it? You who know everything: Will we not die in the attempt?” At the end of his tormented walks he would come into the house with absolute confidence, as if he had in reality received answers from the sea, and discuss every detail of the project with his host.

    On Tuesday, when they returned to Bogotá, he could see the entire plan, and this gave him back his serenity. On Wednesday he returned to his routine: He got up at six, showered, put on his black cassock with the clerical collar, and over that his invariable white poncho, and brought his affairs up-to-date with the assistance of Paulina Garzón de Bermúdez, who had been his indispensable secretary for half her lifetime. The subject of his program that night had nothing to do with the obsession that drove him. On Thursday morning, just as he had promised, Dr. Patarroyo sent an affirmative reply to his request.

    The priest had no lunch. At ten to seven he reached the studios of Inravision, where he broadcast his program, and in front of the cameras he improvised his direct message to Escobar. These were sixty seconds that changed the little life that still remained to him. When he came home he was greeted by a basket full of telephone messages from all over the country, and an avalanche of reporters who from that night on would not let him out of their sight until he had accomplished his goal of leading Pablo Escobar by the hand into prison.

    The final process had begun but the outcome was uncertain because public opinion was divided between the masses of people who believed the good father was a saint, and the unbelievers who were convinced he was half-mad. The truth is that his life revealed him to be many things, but not that. He had turned eighty-two in January, would complete fifty-two years as a priest in August, and seemed to be the only well-known Colombian who had never dreamed of being president. His snowy head and the white poncho over his cassock complemented one of the most respected images in the country. He had written verses that he published in a book at the age of nineteen, and others, also composed in his youth, under the pen name Senescens. He was awarded a forgotten prize for a volume of stories, and forty-six decorations for his charitable projects. In good times and bad he always had his feet planted firmly on the ground, led the social life of a layman, told and listened to jokes of any color, and at the moment of truth revealed what he always had been under his cattleman’s poncho: a dyed-in-the-wool Santanderean.

    He lived in monastic austerity in the vicarage of San Juan Eudes Church, in a room riddled with leaks that he refused to repair. He slept on wooden planks without a mattress or pillow, and with a coverlet made of colored scraps of cloth cut in the shape of little houses that some charitable nuns had sewn for him. He refused a down pillow that someone once offered him because it seemed contrary to the will of God. He wore the same shoes until someone gave him a new pair, and did not replace his clothing and his eternal white poncho until someone provided him with new ones. He ate little, though he liked good food and appreciated fine wines, but would not accept invitations to expensive restaurants for fear people would think he was paying. In one restaurant he saw an elegant woman with a diamond the size of an almond on her finger.

    “With a ring like that,” he walked up to her and said, “I could build 120 houses for the poor.”

    She was too stunned to answer, but the next day she sent him the ring with a cordial note. It did not pay for 120 houses, of course, but the father built them anyway. Paulina Garzón was a native of Chipatá, Santander del Sur, and had come to Bogotá with her mother in 1961, at the age of fifteen, with a letter of recommendation stating she was an expert typist. She was, in fact, though she did not know how to speak on the phone, and her shopping lists were indecipherable because of her calamitous spelling, but she learned both things well so that the priest would hire her. At twenty-five she married and had a son—Alfonso—and a daughter—María Constanza—who today are both systems engineers. Paulina arranged her life so that she could continue to work for Father García Herreros, who gave her more and more duties and responsibilities until she became so indispensable that she traveled with him in Colombia and abroad, but always accompanied by another priest. “To avoid gossip,” Paulina explains. In the end she accompanied him everywhere, if only to put in and take out his contact lenses, something he never could do by himself.

    In his final years the priest lost his hearing in his right ear, became irritable, and lost patience with the gaps in his memory. Little by little he had discarded classical prayers and improvised his own, which he said aloud and with a visionary’s inspiration. His reputation as a lunatic grew along with the popular belief that he had a supernatural ability to talk with the waters and control their direction and movement. The understanding he showed toward Pablo Escobar recalled something he had said about the return of General Gustavo Rojas Pinilla, in August 1957, to be tried by Congress: “When a man turns himself over to the law, even if he is guilty, he deserves profound respect.” Almost at the end of his life, at a Banquet for a Million that had been very difficult to organize, a friend asked what he would do now and he gave the answer of a nineteen- year-old: “I want to lie down in a meadow and look at the stars.”

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 67

    Éstos eran los únicos indicios alentadores cuando el padre García Herreros transmitió su mensaje críptico a Pablo Escobar. Cómo llegó a esa determinación providencial, y qué tenía que ver con ella el mar de Coveñas, es algo que aún sigue intrigando al país. Sin embargo, la manera como se le ocurrió es todavía más intrigante. El viernes 12 de abril de 1991 había visitado al doctor Manuel Elkin Patarroyo -feliz inventor de la vacuna contra la malaria- para pedirle que instalara en El Minuto de Dios un puesto médico para la detección precoz del SIDA. Lo acompañó -además de un joven sacerdote de su comunidad- un antioqueño de todo el maíz, grande amigo suyo, que lo asesoraba en sus asuntos terrenales. Por decisión propia, este benefactor que ha pedido no ser mencionado con su nombre, no sólo había construido y donado la capilla personal del padre García Herreros sino que tributaba diezmos voluntarios para su obra social. En el automóvil que los llevaba al Instituto de Inmunología del doctor Patarroyo, sintió una especie de inspiración apremiante.

    -Óigame una cosa, padre -le dijo-. ¿Por qué no se mete usted en esa vaina para ayudar a que Pablo Escobar se entregue?

    Lo dijo sin preámbulos y sin ningún motivo consciente. «Fue un mensaje de allá arriba», contaría después, como se refiere siempre a Dios, con un respeto de siervo y una confianza de compadre. El sacerdote lo recibió como un flechazo en el corazón. Se puso lívido. El doctor Patarroyo, que no lo conocía, se sintió impresionado por la energía que irradiaban sus ojos y su sentido del negocio, pero su acompañante lo vio distinto. «El padre estaba como flotando -ha dicho-. Durante la visita no pensó en nada más que en lo que yo le había dicho, y a la salida lo vi tan acelerado que me asusté.» Así que se lo llevó a descansar el fin de semana en una casa de vacaciones en Coveñas, un balneario popular del Caribe donde recalan miles de turistas y termina un oleoducto con doscientos cincuenta mil barriles diarios de petróleo crudo.

    El padre no tuvo un instante de sosiego. Apenas si dormía, se levantaba en mitad de las comidas, hacía largas caminatas por la playa a cualquier hora del día o de la noche. «Oh, mar de Coveñas -gritaba contra el fragor de las olas-. ¿Podré hacerlo? ¿Deberé hacerlo? Tú que todo lo sabes: ¿no moriremos en el intento?» Al cabo de las caminatas atormentadas entraba en la casa con un dominio pleno de su ánimo, como si hubiera recibido de veras las respuestas del mar, y discutía con su anfitrión hasta los mínimos detalles del proyecto.

    El martes, cuando regresaron a Bogotá, tenía una visión de conjunto que le devolvió la serenidad. El miércoles reinició la rutina: se levantó a las seis, se duchó, se puso el vestido negro con el cuello clerical y encima la ruana blanca infaltable, y puso al día los asuntos atrasados con la ayuda de Paulina Garzón, su secretaria indispensable durante media vida. Esa noche hizo el programa sobre un tema distinto que no tenía nada que ver con la obsesión que lo embargaba. El jueves en la mañana, tal como se lo había prometido, el doctor Patarroyo le hizo llegar una respuesta optimista a su solicitud. El padre no almorzó. A las siete menos diez minutos llegó a los estudios de Inravisión, de donde se transmitía su programa, e improvisó frente a las cámaras el mensaje directo a Escobar. Fueron sesenta segundos que cambiaron la poca vida que le quedaba. De regreso a casa lo recibieron con un canasto de mensajes telefónicos de todo el país, y una avalancha de periodistas que a partir de aquella noche no iban a perderlo de vista hasta que cumpliera su propósito de llevar de la mano a Pablo Escobar hasta la cárcel.

    El proceso final empezaba, pero los pronósticos eran inciertos, porque la opinión pública estaba dividida entre las muchedumbres que creían que el buen sacerdote era un santo y los incrédulos convencidos de que era medio loco. La verdad es que su vida demostraba muchas cosas menos que lo fuera. Había cumplido ochenta y dos años en enero, iba a cumplir en agosto cincuenta y dos de ser sacerdote, y era de lejos el único colombiano influyente que nunca soñó con ser presidente de la república. Su cabeza nevada y su ruana de lana blanca sobre la sotana complementaban una de las imágenes más respetables del país. Cometió versos que publicó en un libro a los diecinueve años, y otros más, también de juventud, con el seudónimo de Senescens. Obtuvo un premio olvidado con un libro de cuentos, y cuarenta y seis condecoraciones por su obra social. En las buenas y en las malas tuvo siempre los pies bien plantados sobre la tierra, hacía vida social de laico, contaba y se dejaba contar chistes de cualquier color, y a la hora de la verdad le salía lo que siempre fue debajo de su ruana sabanera: un santandereano de hueso colorado.

    Vivía con una austeridad monástica en la casa cural de la parroquia de San Juan de Eudes, en un cuarto cribado de goteras que se negaba a reparar. Dormía en una cama de tablas sin colchón y sin almohada y con el sobrecama hecho de retazos de colores en figura de casitas, que le habían bordado unas monjas de la caridad. No aceptó una almohada de plumas que alguna vez le ofrecieron porque le parecía contrario a la ley de Dios. No cambiaba de zapatos mientras no le regalaran un par nuevo, ni reemplazaba su ropa y su eterna ruana blanca mientras no le regalaran otras. Comía poco, pero tenía buen gusto en la mesa y sabía apreciar la buena comida y los vinos de clase, pero no se dejaba invitar a restaurantes de lujo por temor de que creyeran que pagaba él. En uno de ellos vio una dama de alcurnia con un diamante del tamaño de una almendra en el anillo.

    -Con una sortija como ésa -le dijo de frente- yo haría unas ciento veinte casitas para los pobres.

    La dama, aturdida por la frase, no supo qué contestar, pero al día siguiente le mandó el anillo con una nota cordial. No alcanzó para las ciento veinte casas, por supuesto, pero el padre las construyó de todos modos.

    Paulina Garzón de Bermúdez era natural de Chipatá, Santander del Sur, y había llegado a Bogotá con su madre en 1961 a la edad de quince años, y con una recomendación de mecanógrafa experta. Lo era, en efecto, pero en cambio no sabía hablar por teléfono y sus listas del mercado eran indescifrables por sus horrores de ortografía, pero aprendió a hacer bien ambas cosas para que el padre la empleara. A los veinticinco años se casó y tuvo un hijo -Alfonso-, y una hija -María Constanza-, que hoy son ingenieros de sistema. Paulina se las arregló para seguir trabajando con el padre, quien le soltaba poco a poco derechos y deberes hasta que se le volvió tan indispensable que viajaban juntos dentro y fuera del país, pero siempre en compañía de otro sacerdote. «Para evitar rumores», explica Paulina. Terminó por acompañarlo a todas partes, aunque sólo fuera para ponerle y quitarle los lentes de contacto como nunca pudo hacerlo él mismo.

    En sus últimos años el padre perdía audición por el oído derecho, se volvió irritable, y se exasperaba con los huecos de su memoria. Poco a poco había ido descartando las oraciones clásicas, e improvisaba las suyas en voz alta con una inspiración de iluminado. Su fama de lunático crecía al mismo tiempo que la creencia popular de que tenía el poder sobrenatural de hablar con las aguas y de gobernar su curso y su conducta. Su actitud comprensiva en el caso de Pablo Escobar hizo recordar una frase suya sobre el regreso del general Gustavo Rojas Pinilla, en agosto de 1957, para ser juzgado por el Congreso: «Cuando un hombre se entrega a la ley, aunque fuera culpable, merece un profundo respeto». Casi al final de su vida, en un Banquete del Millón cuya organización había sido muy problemática, un amigo le preguntó qué iba a hacer después, y él le dio una respuesta de diecinueve años: «Quiero tenderme en un potrero a mirar las estrellas».

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb