News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 58

    The mystery carried over to January 26 with the discovery of the body of one José Humberto Vázquez Muñoz, in the municipality of Girardota, near Medellín. He had been killed by three 9 mm bullets in the thorax, and two in the head. In the files of the intelligence services, he was described as having a long criminal record as a member of the Medellín cartel. The investigators marked his photograph with the number 5, mixed it in with photographs of other known criminals, and showed them to those who had been held hostage with Diana Turbay. Hero Buss said: “I don’t recognize any of them, but I think the person in number five looks a little like one of the thugs I saw a few days after the kidnapping.” Azucena Liévano stated that the man in photograph number five, but without a mustache, resembled one of the guards on night duty at the house where she and Diana were held during the first few days of their captivity. Richard Becerra recognized number five as the handcuffed man in the helicopter, but he qualified this: “I think so, because of the shape of his face, but I’m not sure.” Orlando Acevedo also recognized him.

    Finally, Vázquez Muñoz’s wife identified his body and said in a sworn statement that on January 25, 1991, at eight in the morning, her husband had left the house to find a taxi when he was seized by two men on motorcycles wearing police uniforms, and two men in civilian clothes, and put into a car. He managed to shout her name: “Ana Lucía.” But they had already driven away. This statement, however, could not be admitted because there were no other witnesses to the abduction.

    “In conclusion,” said the report, “and on the basis of the evidence brought forward, it is reasonable to affirm that prior to the raid on the La Bola farm, certain members of the National Police in charge of the operation had learned from Mr. Vázquez Muñoz, a civilian in their custody, that some journalists were being held captive in the area, and that, subsequent to these events, he most surely was killed by their hand.” Two other unexplained deaths at the site were also confirmed.

    The Office of Special Investigations went on to conclude that there were no reasons to assume that General Gómez Padilla or any other high-ranking director of the National Police had been informed; that the weapon that caused Diana’s wounds was not fired by any of the members of the special corps of the National Police in Medellín; that members of the unit that raided La Bola should be held accountable for the deaths of three persons whose bodies were found there; that a formal disciplinary investigation would be made into irregularities of a substantive and procedural nature on the part of magistrate 93 for Military Penal Investigation, Dr. Diego Rafael de Jesús Coley Nieto, and his secretary, as well as responsible parties of the DAS in Bogotá.

    With the publication of this report, Villamizar felt he was on firmer ground for writing a second letter to Escobar. He sent it, as always, through the Ochoas, along with a letter to Maruja, and asked him to see that she got it. He took the opportunity to give Escobar a textbook explanation of the division of governmental powers into executive, legislative, and judicial, and to make him understand how difficult it was for the president, within these constitutional and legal mechanisms, to control entities as large and complex as the Armed Forces. However, he did acknowledge that Escobar was correct to denounce human rights violations by law enforcement agencies, and to insist on guarantees for himself, his family, and his people when they surrendered. “I share your opinion,” he said, “that you and I are engaged in essentially the same struggle: to protect our families’ lives and our own, and to achieve peace.” On the basis of these two objectives, he proposed that they adopt a joint strategy.

    Escobar, his pride wounded by the civics lesson, replied a few days later. “I know that the country is divided into President, Congress, Police, Army,” he wrote. “But I also know that the president is in charge.” The rest of the letter consisted of four pages that reiterated the actions of the police, adding new facts but no new arguments to what had been said earlier. He denied that the Extraditables had executed Diana Turbay or had any intention to do so, because if that were the case they would not have taken her out of the house where she was being held or dressed her in black so that she would look like a campesina from the helicopters. “A dead hostage has no value,” he wrote. Then, without transitions or formulaic courtesies, he closed with these unexpected words: “Don’t worry about [having made] statements to the press demanding my extradition. I know everything will work out, and that you will bear me no grudge, because your battle to defend your family has the same objectives as the one I am waging to defend mine.”

    Villamizar related this statement to an earlier one of Escobar’s in which he claimed to feel some embarrassment at holding Maruja prisoner when his quarrel was not with her but with her husband. Villamizar had said the same thing in a different way: “Why is it that if you and I are the ones doing battle, my wife is the one held prisoner?” and he proposed that Escobar take him in exchange for Maruja so they could negotiate in person.

    Escobar did not accept his offer.

    By now Villamizar had been in the Ochoas’ prison more than twenty times. He enjoyed the gems of local cuisine that the women from La Loma brought in, taking every possible security precaution. It was a reciprocal process of learning about one another and establishing mutual trust, and they devoted most of their time to dissecting every one of Escobar’s sentences and actions to discover his hidden intentions. Villamizar would almost always take the last plane back to Bogotá. His son Andrés would meet him at the airport, and often had to drink mineral water while his father relieved his tension with slow, solitary whiskeys. He had kept his promise not to attend any public function, not to see friends: nothing. When the pressure grew intense, he would go out to the terrace and spend hours staring in the direction where he supposed Maruja was, sending her mental messages until he was overcome by exhaustion. At six in the morning he was on his feet, ready to start all over again. When they had an answer to a letter, or anything else of interest, Martha Nieves or María Lfa would call and only have to say a single sentence:

    “Doctor, tomorrow at ten”

    When there were no calls, he spent his time and efforts on “Colombia Wants Them Back,” the television campaign based on the information Beatriz had given to them regarding conditions in captivity. The idea had originated with Nora Sanín, the head of the National Association of Media (ASOMEDIOS), and was produced by María del Rosario Ortiz—a close friend of Maruja’s, and Hernando Santos’s niece—in collaboration with her husband, who was a publicist, and with Gloria Pachón de Galán and other members of the family: Monica, Alexandra, Juana, and their brothers.

    The idea was for a daily succession of well-known personalities in film, the theater, television, soccer, science, or politics to deliver the same message, calling for the release of the hostages and respect for human rights. From the first it had provoked an overwhelming public response. Alexandra traveled from one end of the country to the other with a cameraman, chasing down celebrities. The campaign lasted three months, and some fifty people participated. But Escobar did not budge. When the harpsichordist Rafael Puyana said he was ready to get down on his knees to beg for the release of the hostages, Escobar responded: “Thirty million Colombians can come to me on their knees, and I still won’t let them go.” But in a letter to Villamizar he praised the program because it demanded not only freedom for the hostages but respect for human rights.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 58

    El misterio continuaba el 26 de enero, cuando apareció el cadáver de un llamado José Humberto Vázquez Muñoz en el municipio de Girardota, cerca de Medellín. Había sido muerto por tres tiros de 9 mm en el tórax y dos en la cabeza. En los archivos de los servicios de inteligencia estaba reseñado con graves antecedentes como miembro del cartel de Medellín. Los investigadores marcaron su fotografía con un número cinco, la mezclaron con otras de delincuentes reconocidos, y las mostraron juntas a los que estuvieron cautivos con Diana Turbay. Hero Buss dijo: «No reconozco a ninguno, pero creo que la persona que aparece en la foto número cinco tiene cierto parecido con un sicario que yo vi días después del secuestro». Azucena Liévano declaró también que el hombre de la foto número cinco, pero sin bigote, se parecía a uno que hacía turnos de noche en la casa en que estaban Diana y ella en los primeros días del secuestro. Richard Becerra también reconoció al número cinco como uno que iba esposado en el helicóptero, pero aclaró: «Se me parece por la forma de la cara pero no estoy seguro». Orlando Acevedo también lo reconoció.

    Por último, la esposa de Vázquez Muñoz reconoció el cadáver, y dijo en declaración jurada que el día 25 de enero de 1991 a las ocho de la mañana su marido había salido de la casa a buscar un taxi, cuando lo agarraron en la calle dos motorizados vestidos de policía y dos vestidos de civil y lo metieron en un carro. El alcanzó a llamarla con un grito: «Ana Lucía».

    Pero ya se lo habían llevado. Esta declaración, sin embargo, no pudo tornarse en cuenta, porque no hubo más testigos del secuestro.


    «En conclusión -dijo el informe-, y teniendo en cuenta las pruebas aportadas, es dable afirmar que antes de realizar el operativo de la finca La Bola algunos miembros de la policía nacional encargados del operativo tenían conocimiento por el señor Vázquez Muñoz, civil a quien tenían en su poder, que unos periodistas se encontraban cautivos en esos lugares, y muy seguramente, luego de los acontecimientos, le dieron muerte.» Otras dos muertes inexplicables en el lugar de los hechos fueron también comprobadas.

    La oficina de Investigaciones Especiales, en consecuencia, concluyó que no existían motivos para afirmar que el general Gómez Padilla, ni otros de los altos directivos de la Policía Nacional estaban enterados. Que el arma que causó las lesiones de Diana no fue accionada por ninguno de los miembros del cuerpo especial de la Policía Nacional de Medellín. Que miembros del grupo de las operaciones de La Bola debían responder por las muertes de tres personas cuyos cuerpos fueron encontrados allí. Que contra el juez 93 de Instrucción Penal Militar, doctor Diego Rafael de Jesús Coley Nieto, y su secretaria, se abriera formal investigación disciplinaria por irregularidades de tipo sustancial y procedimental, así como contra los peritos del DAS en Bogotá.

    Publicado ese informe, Villamizar se sintió en un piso más firme para escribirle a Escobar una segunda carta. Se la mandó, como siempre, a través de los Ochoa, y con otra carta para Maruja, que le rogaba hacer llegar. Aprovechó la ocasión para darle a Escobar una explicación escolar de los tres poderes del Estado: ejecutivo, legislativo y jurisdiccional, y hacerle entender qué difícil era para el presidente, dentro de esos mecanismos constitucionales y legales, manejar cuerpos tan numerosos y complejos como las Fuerzas Armadas. Sin embargo, le dio la razón a Escobar en sus denuncias sobre las violaciones de los derechos humanos por la fuerza pública, y por su insistencia de pedir garantías para él, su familia y su gente cuando se entregaran. «Yo comparto su criterio -le dijo- de que la lucha que usted y yo libramos tiene la misma esencia: salvar las vidas de nuestros familiares y las nuestras, y conseguir la paz.» Con base en esos dos objetivos, le propuso adoptar una estrategia conjunta.

    Escobar le contestó días después con el orgullo herido por la lección de derecho público.

    «Yo sé que el país está dividido en Presidente, Congreso, Policías, Ejército -escribió-. Pero también sé que el presidente es el que manda.» El resto de la carta eran cuatro hojas reiterativas sobre las actuaciones de la policía, que sólo agregaban datos pero no argumentos a las anteriores. Negó que los Extraditables hubieran ejecutado a Diana Turbay, o que hubieran intentado hacerlo, porque en ese caso no habrían tenido que sacarla de la casa donde estaba secuestrada ni la hubieran vestido de negro para que los helicópteros la confundieran con una campesina. «Muerta no vale como rehén», escribió. Al final, sin pasos intermedios ni fórmulas de cortesía se despidió con una frase inusitada: «No se preocupe por (haber hecho) sus declaraciones a la prensa pidiendo que me extraditen. Sé que todo saldrá bien y que no me guardará rencores porque la lucha en defensa de su familia no tiene objetivos diferentes a la que yo llevo en defensa de la mía». Villamizar relacionó aquella frase con una anterior de Escobar, en la que dijo sentirse avergonzado de tener a Maruja en rehenes si la pelea no era con ella sino con el marido. Villamizar se lo había dicho ya de otro modo: «¿Cómo es que si estamos peleando los dos a la q ue tienen es a mi mujer?», y le propuso en consecuencia que lo cambiara a él por Maruja para negociar en persona. Escobar no aceptó.

    Para entonces Villamizar había estado más de veinte veces en la celda de los Ochoa. Disfrutaba de las joyas de la cocina local que las mujeres de La Loma les llevaban con todas las precauciones contra cualquier atentado. Fue un proceso de conocimiento recíproco, de confianza mutua, en el cual dedicaban las mejores horas a desentrañar en cada frase y en cada gesto las segundas intenciones de Escobar. Villamizar regresaba a Bogotá casi siempre en el último avión del puente aéreo. Su hijo Andrés lo esperaba en el aeropuerto, y muchas veces tuvo que acompañarlo con agua mineral mientras él se liberaba de sus tensiones con lentos tragos solitarios. Había cumplido su promesa de no asistir a ningún acto de la vida pública, ni ver amigos: nada. Cuando la presión aumentaba, salía a la terraza y pasaba horas mirando en la dirección en que suponía que estaba Maruja, y durante horas le mandaba mensajes mentales, hasta que lo vencía el sueño. A las seis de la mañana estaba otra vez en pie y listo para empezar. Cuando recibían respuesta a una carta, o algo más de interés, Martha Nieves o María Lía llamaban por teléfono, y les bastaba una frase:

    -Doctor: mañana a las diez.

    Mientras no hubiera llamadas dedicaba tiempo y trabajo a Colombia los Reclama, la campaña de televisión con base en los datos que Beatriz les había dado sobre las condiciones del encierro. Era una idea de Nora Sanín, directora de la Asociación Nacional de Medios (Asomedios) y puesta en marcha por María del Rosario Ortiz -gran amiga de Maruja y sobrina de Hernando Santos-, en equipo con su marido publicista, con Gloria de Galán y con el resto de la familia: Mónica, Alexandra, Juana, y sus hermanos.

    Se trataba de un desfile diario de estrellas del cine, el teatro, la televisión, el fútbol, la ciencia, la política, que pedían en un mismo mensaje la liberación de los secuestrados y el respeto a los derechos humanos. Desde su primera emisión suscitó un movimiento arrasador de opinión pública. Alexandra andaba con un camarógrafo cazando luminarias de un extremo al otro del país. En los tres meses que duró la campaña desfilaron unas cincuenta personalidades. Pero Escobar no se inmutó. Cuando el clavecinista Rafael Puyana dijo que era capaz de pedirle de rodillas la liberación de los secuestrados, Escobar le contestó: «Pueden venir de rodillas treinta millones de colombianos, y no los suelto». Sin embargo, en una carta a Villamizar hizo un elogio del programa porque no sólo luchaba por la libertad de los rehenes sino también por el respeto a los derechos humanos.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb