News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 57

    At this time Villamizar also met with the prosecutor general, trying to find a different way to proceed in a new situation. The meeting was very productive. The prosecutor general told him that at the end of the week he would issue a report on the death of Diana Turbay holding the police responsible for acting without prudence or orders, and that he was filing charges against three officers of the Elite Corps. He also disclosed that he had investigated eleven agents whom Escobar had accused by name, and had filed charges against them as well.

    He kept his word. On April 3 the president received an investigative study from the Prosecutor General’s Office regarding the circumstances surrounding Diana Turbay’s death. The operation—the study says—began to take shape on January 23, when the intelligence services of the Medellín police received a series of anonymous calls of a generic nature regarding the presence of armed men in the hilly areas of the municipality of Copacabana. Activity was centered—according to the phone calls—in the region of Sabaneta, in particular on the farm properties of Villa del Rosario, La Bola, and Alto de la Cruz. At least one of the calls suggested that this was where the journalists were being held hostage, and that the Doctor—that is, Pablo Escobar—might even be there as well.

    This piece of information was mentioned in the analysis that served as the basis for the next day’s operations, but there was no mention of the probable presence of the abducted journalists. General Miguel Gómez Padilla, head of the National Police, stated that he had been informed on the afternoon of January 24 that on the following day a search-and- seizure verification operation would be carried out, “and the possible capture of Pablo Escobar and a group of drug traffickers.” But, it seems, there was no mention at this time either of a possible encounter with the two hostages, Diana Turbay and Richard Becerra.

    The operation began at eleven o’clock on the morning of January 25, when Captain Jairo Salcedo García left the Carlos Holguin Academy in Medellín with seven officers, five non-commissioned officers, and forty agents. An hour later, Captain Eduardo Martinez Solanilla was accompanied by two officers, two non-commissioned officers, and seventy- one agents. The report pointed out that in the relevant memorandum no record had been made of the departure of Captain Helmer Ezequiel Torres Vela, who was in charge of the raid on La Bola farm, where Diana and Richard were in fact being held. But in his subsequent statement to the Prosecutor General’s Office, the same captain confirmed that he had set out at eleven in the morning with six officers, five non-commissioned officers, and forty agents. Four combat helicopters were assigned to the entire operation.

    The raids on Villa del Rosario and Alto de la Cruz were carried out with no difficulty. At about one o’clock, the raid on La Bola began. Second Lieutenant Iván Díaz Alvarez stated that he was coming down from the mesa where the helicopter had left him when he heard shooting on the side of the mountain. Racing in that direction, he caught a glimpse of nine or ten men armed with rifles and submachine guns and running for their lives.

    “We stayed there a few minutes to see where the attack was coming from,” the second lieutenant declared, “when much further down the slope we heard someone calling for help.” The second lieutenant said he had hurried down and found a man who shouted:

    “Please help me.” The second lieutenant shouted back: “Halt! Who are you?” The man replied that he was Richard, the journalist, and needed help because Diana Turbay had been wounded. The second lieutenant said that then, without knowing why, he asked the question: “Where’s Pablo?” Richard answered: “I don’t know, but help me, please.” Then the soldier approached, taking all precautions, and then other men from his unit appeared. The second lieutenant concluded: “For us it was a surprise to find the journalists there because that wasn’t our objective.”

    This account agrees almost point by point with the one given by Richard Becerra to the Attorney General’s Office. Richard later amplified his statement, saying he had seen the man who shot at him and Diana, and that he had been standing to the left with both hands extended, at a distance of about fifteen meters. “By the time the shooting stopped,” Richard concluded, “I had already dropped to the ground.”

    With regard to the single bullet that caused Diana’s death, tests showed that it had entered the left iliac region and moved upward and to the right. The characteristics of the micrological damage indicated that it was a high-velocity bullet, traveling between two and three thousand feet per second, or some three times faster than the speed of sound. It could not be recovered because it shattered into three parts, which lessened its weight, altered its shape, and reduced it to an irregular fragment that continued its trajectory, causing damage of an essentially fatal nature. It was almost certainly a 5.56-caliber bullet, perhaps fired by a rifle similar, if not identical, to an Austrian AUG that had been found on the scene and was not a standard-issue police weapon. In a marginal note, the autopsy report indicated: “Diana had an estimated life expectancy of fifteen more years.”

    The most intriguing fact in the raid was the presence of a handcuffed civilian in the same helicopter that transported the wounded Diana to Medellín. Two police agents agreed he was a man who looked like a campesino, about thirty-five or forty years old, dark skin, short hair, rather robust, about five feet, seven inches tall, and wearing a cloth cap. They said he had been detained during the raid, and that they were trying to find out who he was when the shooting began, so they had to handcuff him and take him along to the helicopters. One of the agents added that they had left him with their second lieutenant, who questioned him in their presence and released him near the place where he had been picked up. “The gentleman had nothing to do with it,” they said, “since the shots came from lower down and he was up there with us.” These versions denied that the civilian had been on board the helicopter, but the crew of the aircraft contradicted this. Other statements were more specific. Corporal Luis Carlos Ríos Ramírez, the helicopter gunner, had no doubt that the man had been on board and was returned that same day to the zone of operations.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 57

    Villamizar visitó también por esos días al procurador general tratando de encontrar una manera diferente de actuar dentro de la nueva situación. Fue una visita muy fructífera. El procurador le anunció que a fines de esa semana publicaría un informe sobre la muerte de Diana Turbay, en el cual responsabilizaba a la policía por actuar sin órdenes y sin prudencia, y abría pliego de cargos contra tres oficiales del Cuerpo Élite. Le reveló también que había investigado a once agentes acusados por Escobar con nombre propio, y había abierto pliego de cargos contra ellos.

    Cumplió. El presidente de la república recibió el 3 de abril un estudio evaluativo de la Procuraduría General de la Nación sobre los hechos en que había muerto Diana Turbay. El operativo -dice el estudio- había empezado a gestarse el 23 de enero cuando los servicios de inteligencia de la policía de Medellín recibieron llamadas anónimas de carácter genérico sobre la presencia de hombres armados en la parte alta del municipio de Copacabana. La actividad se centraba -según las llamadas- en la región de Sabaneta, y sobre todo en las fincas Villa del Rosario, La Bola y Alto de la Cruz. Por lo menos en una de las llamadas se dio a entender que allí tenían a los periodistas secuestrados, y que inclusive podía estar el Doctor. Es decir: Pablo Escobar. Este dato se mencionó en el análisis que sirvió de base para los operativos del día siguiente, pero no se mencionó la probabilidad de que estuvieran los periodistas secuestrados. El mayor general Miguel Gómez Padilla, director de la Policía Nacional, declaró haber sido informado el 24 de enero en la tarde de que al día siguiente iba a realizarse un operativo de verificación, búsqueda y registro, «y la posible captura de Pablo Escobar y un grupo de narcotraficantes». Pero, al parecer, tampoco se mencionó entonces la posibilidad de encontrar a los dos últimos rehenes, Diana Turbay y Richard Becerra.

    El operativo se inició a las once de la mañana del 25 de enero, cuando salió de la Escuela Carlos Holguín de Medellín el capitán Jairo Salcedo García con siete oficiales, cinco suboficiales y cuarenta agentes. Una hora después salió el capitán Eduardo Martínez Solanilla con dos oficiales, dos suboficiales y sesenta y un agentes. El estudio señalaba que en el oficio correspondiente no había sido registrada la salida del capitán Helmer Ezequiel Torres Vela, que fue el encargado del operativo en la finca de La Bola, donde en realidad estaban Diana y Richard. Pero en su exposición posterior ante la Procuraduría Nacional, el propio capitán confirmó que había salido a las once de la mañana con seis oficiales, cinco suboficiales y cuarenta agentes. Para toda la operación se destinaron cuatro helicópteros artillados.

    Los allanamientos de la Villa del Rosario y Alto de la Cruz se cumplieron sin contratiempos. Hacia la una de la tarde se emprendió el operativo en La Bola. El subteniente Iván Díaz Álvarez contó que estaba descendiendo de la planicie en que lo había dejado el helicóptero, cuando oyó detonaciones en la falda de la montaña. Corriendo en esa dirección, alcanzó a ver unos nueve o diez hombres con fusiles y subametralladoras que huían en estampida- «Nos quedamos allí unos minutos para ver de dónde salía el ataque – declaró el subteniente- cuando escuchamos muy abajo a una persona que pedía auxilio.» El subteniente dijo que se había apresurado hacia abajo y se había encontrado con un hombre que le gritó: «Por favor, ayúdeme ». El subteniente le gritó a su vez: «Alto, ¿quién es usted?». El hombre le contestó que era Richard, el periodista, y que necesitaba auxilio porque allí estaba herida Diana Turbay. El suboficial contó que en ese momento, sin explicar por qué, le salió la frase: «¿Dónde está Pablo?». Richard le contestó: «Yo no sé. Pero por favor, ayúdeme». Entonces el militar se le acercó con todas las seguridades, y aparecieron en el lugar otros hombres de su grupo. El subteniente concluyó: «Para nosotros fue una sorpresa encontrar allí a los periodistas puesto que el objetivo de nosotros no era ése».

    El relato de este encuentro coincide casi punto por punto con el que Richard Becerra hizo a la Procuraduría. Más tarde, éste amplió su declaración en el sentido de que había visto al hombre que les disparaba a él y a Diana, y que estaba de pie, con las dos manos hacia adelante y hacia el lado izquierdo, y a una distancia promedio de unos quince metros. «Cuando acabaron de sonar los disparos -concluyó Richard- ya yo me había tirado al suelo.»

    En relación con el único proyectil que le causó la Muerte a Diana, la prueba técnica demostró que había entrado por la región ilíaca izquierda y seguido hacia arriba y hacia la derecha. Las características de los daños micrológicos demostraron que fue un proyectil de alta velocidad, entre dos mil y tres mil pies por segundo, o sea unas tres veces más que la velocidad del sonido. No pudo ser recuperado, pues se fragmentó en tres partes, lo que disminuyó su peso y alteró su forma, y quedó reducido a una fracción irregular que continuó su trayectoria con destrozos de naturaleza esencialmente mortal. Fue casi de seguro un proyectil de calibre 5.56, quizás disparado por un fusil de condiciones técnicas similares, si no iguales, a un AUG austríaco hallado en el lugar de los hechos, que no era de uso reglamentario de la policía. Como una anotación al margen, el informe de la necropsia señaló: «La esperanza de vida de Diana se calculaba en quince años más».

    El hecho más intrigante del operativo fue la presencia de un civil esposado que viajó en el mismo helicóptero en que se transportó a Diana herida hasta Medellín. Dos agentes de la policía coincidieron en que era un hombre de apariencia campesina, de unos treinta y cinco a cuarenta años, tez morena, pelo corto, algo robusto, de un metro setenta más o menos, que aquel día llevaba una gorra de tela. Dijeron que lo habían detenido en el curso del operativo, y estaban tratando de que se identificara cuando empezaron los tiros, de modo que tuvieron que esposarlo y llevarlo consigo hasta los helicópteros. Uno de los agentes agregó que lo había dejado en manos de su subteniente, que éste lo interrogó en presencia de ellos y lo dejó en libertad cerca del sitio donde lo habían encontrado. «El señor no tenía nada que ver -dijeron- puesto que los disparos sonaron abajo y el señor estaba arriba con nosotros.» Estas versiones descartaban que el civil hubiera estado a bordo del helicóptero, pero la tripulación de la nave confirmó lo contrario. Otras declaraciones fueron más específicas. El cabo primero Luis Carlos Ríos Ramírez, técnico artillero del helicóptero, no dudaba de que el hombre iba a bordo, y había sido devuelto ese mismo día a la zona de operaciones.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb