News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 43

    Martha Lupe burst into tears and could not stop crying until late that night, when she welcomed her son in the editorial offices of the newscast “Criptón.” Today she recalls: “He was nothing but skin and bone, pale and bearded, but he was alive.”

    RAFAEL PARDO HAD received the news in his office just a few minutes earlier, when a reporter who was a friend of his called to confirm a version of the rescue. He telephoned General Maza Márquez and then the head of the National Police, General Gómez Padilla, and neither one knew anything about any rescue operations. A little while later, Gómez Padilla called to inform him that it had been a chance encounter with the Elite Corps during a search for Escobar. The units involved, Gómez Padilla said, had no prior information regarding hostages in that location.

    Since receiving the report from Medellín, Dr. Turbay had been trying to reach Nydia at the house in Tabio, but her telephone was out of order. He sent his chief bodyguard in a van to tell her that Diana was safe and in a Medellín hospital for a routine examination.

    Nydia heard the news at two in the afternoon, but instead of shouting with joy, as the rest of the family had, she looked stunned by grief, and exclaimed:

    “They’ve killed Diana!”

    On the drive back to Bogotá, as they were listening to the news on the radio, her uncertainty intensified. “I was still crying,” she would later say. “Not shrieking and moaning, as I had before, just shedding tears.” She stopped at her house to change clothes before going on to the airport, where the presidential plane—a decrepit Fokker that flew only by the grace of God after almost thirty years of forced labor—was waiting for the family. The latest report said that Diana was in intensive care, but Nydia did not believe anyone or anything except her own instincts. She went straight to the telephone and asked to speak to the president.

    “They killed Diana, Mr. President,” she said. “And it’s your doing, it’s your fault, it’s what comes of having a soul of stone.”

    The president was glad he could contradict her with a piece of good news.

    “No, Señora,” he said in his calmest voice. “It seems there was a raid, and nothing is confirmed yet. But Diana is alive.”

    “No,” Nydia replied. “They killed her.”

    The president, who was in direct communication with Medellín, had no doubts.

    “How do you know that?”

    Nydia answered with absolute conviction:

    “Because I’m her mother and my heart tells me so.”

    Her heart was correct. An hour later, María Emma Mejía, the presidential adviser for Medellín, came aboard the plane that was carrying the Turbay family and gave them the bad news. Diana had bled to death despite several hours of medical intervention, which would have been hopeless in any case. She had lost consciousness in the helicopter that transported her to Medellín, and had never regained it. Her spinal column had been shattered at the waist by a high-velocity, medium-caliber explosive bullet that splintered inside her body and caused a general paralysis from which she never would have recovered.

    Nydia suffered a major shock when she saw her in the hospital, lying naked on the operating table under a blood-soaked sheet, her face without expression and her skin without color because of the loss of blood. There was an enormous incision in her chest where the doctors had inserted their hands to massage her heart.

    As soon as she left the operating room, when she was beyond grief and despair, Nydia held a ferocious press conference right in the hospital. “This is the story of a death foretold,” she began. Convinced that Diana had been the victim of an assault ordered from Bogotá—according to information she had received since her arrival in Medellín— she gave a detailed account of the appeals she and the family had made to the president that the police not attempt a rescue. She said that the stupidity and criminality of the Extraditables were responsible for her daughter’s death, but the guilt was shared equally by the government and the president, above all by the president, “who with lack of feeling, almost with coldness and indifference, turned a deaf ear to the appeals that there be no rescues and that the lives of the hostages not be placed in danger.”

    This categorical statement, quoted verbatim in all the media, generated solidarity in public opinion, and indignation in the government. The president held a meeting with Fabio Villegas, his secretary general; Miguel Silva, his private secretary; Rafael Pardo, his security adviser; and Mauricio Vargas, his press adviser. The purpose was to devise a resounding denial of Nydia’s statement. But more careful reflection led them to the conclusion that one cannot argue with a mother’s grief. Gaviria understood this, rescinded the purpose of the meeting, and gave an order:

    “We’ll go to the funeral.”

    “Not only he; but the entire government.”

    Nydia’s rancor gave her no peace. With someone whose name she could not remember, she had sent Gaviria Diana’s letter—after she knew she was dead—perhaps so that he would always carry with him the burden of its premonition. “Obviously I didn’t expect him to answer,” she said.

    At the end of the funeral mass in the cathedral—it had rarely been more crowded—the president rose from his seat and walked the empty central nave alone, followed by everyone’s eyes, and photographers’ flashbulbs and television cameras, and held out his hand to Nydia, certain she would leave him with his hand outstretched. Nydia took it with icy distaste. In reality, she felt relieved, for what she feared was that the president would embrace her. However, she appreciated the condolence kiss from his wife, Ana Milena.

    It was not over yet. As soon as the obligations of mourning had eased somewhat, Nydia requested another meeting with the president to give him important information that he ought to know before delivering his speech that day on Diana’s death. Silva conveyed the precise message he had received, and then the president gave the smile that Nydia would never see.

    “She’s coming to cut out my heart,” he said. “But have her come, of course.”

    He greeted her as he always did. Nydia, however, dressed in black, walked into the office with a different air: simple, and grieving. She came straight to the point, which she revealed to the president with her opening words:

    “I’ve come to do you a favor.”

    The surprise was that she began by begging his pardon for believing that he had ordered the raid in which Diana died. She knew now that he had not been aware of it. And she also wanted to tell him that at present he was being deceived again, because it was not true that the purpose of the mission had been to find Pablo Escobar, but to free the hostages, whose whereabouts had been revealed under torture by a gang member who had been captured by the police. And who, Nydia explained, had later shown up as one of those killed in the shooting.

    She spoke with energy and precision, and with the hope of arousing the interest of the president, but she could not detect even the slightest sign of compassion. “He was like a block of ice,” she would say later when recalling that day. Not knowing why, or at what point it happened, and unable to stop herself, she began to cry. Then the temperament she had kept under control rebelled, and her manner and the subject underwent a complete transformation. She berated the president for his indifference and coldness in not fulfilling his constitutional obligation to save the lives of the hostages.

    “Just think about it,” she concluded. “What if your daughter had been in this situation? What would you have done then?”

    She looked straight into his eyes but was so agitated by this time that the president could not interrupt her. Later he would say: “She asked me questions but gave me no chance to answer them.” Nydia, in fact, stopped him cold with another question: “Don’t you think, Mr. President, that you were mistaken in your handling of this problem?” For the first time the president revealed a shred of doubt. “I’ve never suffered so much,” he would say years later. But he only blinked and said in his natural voice:

    “It’s possible.”

    Nydia stood, extended her hand in silence, and left the office before he could open the door for her. Then Miguel Silva came into the office and found the president very affected by the story of the dead gunman. Gaviria lost no time in writing a personal letter to the prosecutor general telling him to investigate the case and bring it to trial.

    MOST PEOPLE AGREED that the purpose of the raid had been to capture Escobar or one of the important capos, but that even with this rationale it was stupid and doomed to failure.

    According to the immediate police version, Diana had died in the course of a search mission carried out with the support of helicopters and ground personnel. Without intending to, they had encountered the armed unit guarding Diana Turbay and the cameraman Richard Becerra. As they were fleeing, one of the kidnappers shot Diana in the back and shattered her spine. The cameraman was not hurt. Diana was taken to the Medellín General Hospital in a police helicopter, and died there at 4:35 in the afternoon.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 43

    Martha Lupe se echó a llorar, y no pudo controlarse hasta tarde en la noche, cuando recibió a su hijo en la redacción del noticiero Criptón. Hoy lo recuerda: «Estaba en los puros huesos, pálido y barbudo, pero vivo».

    Rafael Pardo había recibido la noticia minutos antes en su oficina por una llamada de un periodista amigo que quería confirmar una versión del rescate. Llamó al general Maza Márquez y luego al director de la policía, general Gómez Padilla, y ninguno sabía de operativo de rescate. Al rato lo llamó Gómez Padilla y le informó que había sido un encuentro fortuito con el Cuerpo Élite en el curso de una operación de búsqueda de Escobar. Las unidades que operaban, dijo Gómez Padilla, no tenían ninguna información previa de que hubiera secuestradores en el lugar.

    Desde que recibió la noticia de Medellín, el doctor Turbay había tratado de comunicarse con Nydia en la casa de Tabio, pero el teléfono estaba descompuesto. Mandó en una camioneta a su jefe de escolta con la noticia de que Diana estaba a salvo y la tenían en el hospital de Medellín para los exámenes de rutina. Nydia la recibió a las dos de la tarde, y en vez del grito de júbilo que había dado la familia, adoptó una actitud de dolor y asombro, y exclamó:

    -¡Mataron a Diana!

    En el camino de regreso a Bogotá, mientras escuchaba las noticias de la radio, se le acentuó la incertidumbre. «Seguí llorando -diría más tarde-. Pero entonces mi llanto no era a gritos, como antes, sino sólo de lágrimas.» Hizo una escala en su casa para cambiarse de ropa antes de ir al aeropuerto, donde esperaba a la familia el decrépito Fokker presidencial que volaba por la gracia divina después de casi treinta años de trabajos forzados. La noticia en ese momento era que Diana estaba bajo cuidados intensivos, pero Nydia no le creía nada a nadie más que a sus instintos. Fue derecho al teléfono, y pidió hablar con el presidente de la república.

    -Mataron a Diana, señor presidente -le dijo-. Y eso es obra suya, es su culpa, es la consecuencia de su alma de piedra.

    El presidente se alegró de poder contradecirla con una buena noticia.

    -No, señora -dijo con su voz más calmada-. Parece ser que hubo un operativo y todavía no se tiene nada claro. Pero Diana está viva.

    -No -replicó Nydia-. La mataron.

    El presidente, que estaba en comunicación directa con Medellín, no tenía duda.

    -¿Y por qué lo sabe?

    Nydia contestó con una convicción absoluta:

    -Porque me lo dice mi corazón de madre.

    Su corazón fue certero. Una hora después, María Emma Mejía, la consejera presidencial para Medellín, subió al avión que llevó a la familia Turbay y les dio la mala noticia. Diana había muerto desangrada, después de varias horas de esfuerzos médicos que de todos modos habrían sido inútiles. Había perdido el conocimiento en el helicóptero que la transportó a Medellín desde el lugar del encuentro con la policía, y no lo había recobrado.

    Tenía la columna vertebral fracturada al nivel de la cintura por una bala explosiva de alta velocidad y mediano calibre que estalló en esquirlas dentro de su cuerpo y le produjo una parálisis general de la que no se habría repuesto jamás.

    Nydia sufrió un impacto mayor cuando la vio en el hospital, desnuda en la mesa de cirugía, pero cubierta con una sábana ensangrentada, con el rostro sin expresión y la piel sin color por el desangre completo. Tenía una enorme incisión quirúrgica en el pecho por donde los médicos habían introducido el puño para darle masajes al corazón.

    Tan pronto como salió del quirófano, ya más allá del dolor y la desesperanza, Nydia convocó en el mismo hospital una conferencia de prensa feroz. «Ésta es la historia de una muerte anunciada», empezó. Convencida de que Diana había sido víctima de un operativo ordenado desde Bogotá -según las informaciones que le dieron desde su llegada a Medellín- , hizo un recuento minucioso de las súplicas que la familia y ella misma habían hecho al presidente de la república para que la policía no lo intentara. Dijo que la insensatez y la criminalidad de los Extraditables eran las culpables de la muerte de su hija, pero que en igual proporción lo eran el gobierno y el presidente de la república en persona. Pero sobre todo el presidente, «que con indolencia y casi con frialdad e indiferencia desoyó las súplicas que se le hacían para que no fuesen rescatados y no fuesen puestas en peligro las vidas de los secuestrados».

    Esta declaración terminante, divulgada en directo por todos los medios, provocó una reacción de solidaridad en la opinión pública, e indignación en el gobierno. El presidente convocó a Fabio Villegas, su secretario general; a Miguel Silva, su secretario privado; a Rafael Pardo, su consejero de Seguridad, y a Mauricio Vargas, su consejero de Prensa. El propósito era elaborar un rechazo enérgico a la declaración de Nydia. Pero una reflexión más a fondo los condujo a la conclusión de que el dolor de una madre no se controvierte.

    Gaviria lo entendió así, y canceló el propósito de la reunión e impartió la orden:

    -Vamos al entierro.

    No sólo él sino el gobierno en pleno.

    El encono de Nydia no le dio una tregua. Con alguien cuyo nombre no recordaba le había mandado la carta tardía al presidente -cuando ya sabía que Diana había muerto-, tal vez para que llevara siempre en la conciencia su carga premonitoria. «Obviamente, no esperé que me respondiera», dijo.

    Al final de la misa de cuerpo presente en la catedral -concurrida como pocas- el presidente se levantó de su silla y recorrió solo la desierta nave central, seguido por todas las miradas, por los relámpagos de los fotógrafos, por las cámaras de televisión, y le tendió la mano a Nydia con la seguridad de que se la dejaría tendida. Nydia se la estrechó con un desgano glacial. En realidad, para ella fue un alivio, pues lo que temía era que el presidente la abrazara. En cambio, apreció el beso de condolencia de Ana Milena, su esposa.

    Todavía no fue el final. Apenas aliviada de los compromisos del duelo, Nydia solicitó una nueva audiencia con el presidente para informarlo de algo importante que debía saber antes de su discurso de aquel día sobre la muerte de Diana. Silva transmitió el mensaje al pie de la letra, y el presidente hizo entonces la sonrisa que Nydia no le vería jamás.

    -A lo que viene es a vaciarme -dijo-. Pero que venga, claro.

    La recibió como siempre. Nydia, en efecto, entró en la oficina, vestida de negro y con un talante distinto: sencilla y adolorida. Fue directo a lo que iba, y se lo dejó ver al presidente desde la primera frase:

    -Vengo a prestarle un servicio.

    La sorpresa fue que, en efecto, empezó con sus excusas por haber creído que el presidente había ordenado el operativo en que murió Diana. Ahora sabía que ni siquiera había sido informado. Y quería decirle además que también en aquel momento lo estaban engañando, pues tampoco era cierto que el operativo fuera para buscar a Pablo Escobar sino para rescatar a los rehenes, cuyo paradero había sido revelado bajo tortura por uno de los sicarios capturados por la policía. El sicario -explicó Nydia- había aparecido después como uno de los muertos en combate.

    El relato fue dicho con energía y precisión, y con la esperanza de despertar el interés del presidente, pero no descubrió ni una señal de compasión. «Era como un bloque de hielo», diría más tarde evocando aquel día. Sin saber por qué ni en qué instante, y sin poder evitarlo, empezó a llorar. Entonces se le revolvió el temperamento que había logrado dominar, y cambió por completo de tema y de modo. Le reclamó al presidente su indiferencia y su frialdad por no cumplir con la obligación constitucional de salvar las vidas de los secuestrados.

    -Póngase a pensar -concluyó-, si la niña suya hubiera estado en estas circunstancias. ¿Qué habría hecho usted?

    Lo miró directo a los ojos, pero estaba ya tan exaltada que el presidente no pudo interrumpirla. Él mismo lo contaría más tarde: «Me preguntaba, pero no me daba tiempo de contestar». Nydia, en efecto, le cerró el paso con otra pregunta: « ¿Usted no cree, señor presidente, que se equivocó en el manejo que le dio a este problema?». El presidente dejó ver por primera vez una sombra de duda. «Nunca había sufrido tanto», diría años después.

    Pero sólo pestañeó, y dijo con su voz natural:

    -Es posible.

    Nydia se puso de pie, le dio la mano en silencio, y salió de la oficina antes de que él pudiera abrirle la puerta. Miguel Silva entró entonces en el despacho y encontró al presidente muy impresionado con la historia del sicario muerto. Pero reaccionó con la decisión de escribir una carta privada al procurador general para que investigara el caso y se hiciera justicia.

    La mayoría de las personas coincidían en que la acción había sido para capturar a Escobar o a un capo importante, pero que aun dentro de esa lógica fue una estupidez y un fracaso irreparable. Según la versión inmediata de la policía, Diana había muerto en desarrollo de un operativo de búsqueda con apoyo de helicópteros y personal de tierra. Sin proponérselo se encontraron con el comando que llevaba a Diana Turbay y al camarógrafo Richard Becerra. En la huida, uno de los secuestradores le disparó a Diana por la espalda y le fracturó la espina dorsal. El camarógrafo salió ileso. Diana fue trasladada al Hospital General de Medellín en un helicóptero de la policía, y allí murió a las cuatro y treinta y cinco de la tarde.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb