News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 42

    Villamizar slammed down the phone, astonished at his own vehemence. “Now what do I do?” he asked himself. To begin with, he requested help from former presidents Alfonso López Michelsen and Misael Pastrana, and Monsignor Darío Castrillón, the bishop of Pereira. They all made public statements repudiating the methods used by the Extraditables and pleading for the lives of the captives. On the National Radio Network López Michelsen called for the government and Escobar to stop the war and search for a political solution.

    AT THAT MOMENT the tragedy had already occurred. Minutes before dawn on January 21, Diana had written the last page of her diary. “It’s close to five months, and only we know what this means,” she wrote. “I don’t want to lose the faith or the hope that I’ll go home safe and sound.”

    She was no longer alone. Following the release of Azucena and Orlando, she had asked to be with Richard, and her request was granted after Christmas. It was good for both of them. They talked until they were exhausted, listened to the radio until dawn, and in this way acquired the habit of sleeping by day and living at night. They had learned about the death of the Priscos from the guards’ conversation. One guard was crying. The other, certain this meant the end and no doubt referring to the hostages, asked: “And what do we do now with the merchandise?” The one who was crying did not have to give it a second thought.

    “We’ll get rid of it,” he said.

    Diana and Richard could not sleep after breakfast. Days earlier they had been told they would be changing houses. They had not paid much attention, since in the brief month they had been together they had been moved twice to nearby safe houses in anticipation of real or imaginary police raids. A little before eleven on the morning of January 25, they were in Diana’s room discussing the guards’ conversation in whispers, when they heard the sound of helicopters coming from Medellín.

    In recent days police intelligence agencies had received numerous anonymous phone calls reporting the movement of armed people along the Sabaneta road—municipality of Copacabana—in particular around the farms of Alto de la Cruz, Villa del Rosario, and La Bola. Perhaps their captors planned to transfer Diana and Richard to Alto de la Cruz; the most secure of the properties because it was located at the top of a high, wooded hill and had a commanding view of the entire valley all the way to Medellín. As a result of the calls, and other leads of their own, the police were about to raid the house. It was a major military operation involving two captains, nine officers, seven non-commissioned officers, and ninety-nine agents, half of them traveling overland and half in four combat helicopters. The guards, however, no longer paid attention to helicopters because they flew over so often and nothing ever happened. Suddenly one of them was at the door and shouted at them in fright:

    “The law’s all over us!”

    Diana and Richard took as long as they could because this was the right time for a police assault: The four guards on duty were not the toughest ones, and seemed too panicked to defend themselves. Diana brushed her teeth and put on a white shirt she had washed the day before; she put on her sneakers and the jeans she had been wearing the day she was kidnapped, too big for her now because she had lost weight. Richard changed his shirt and gathered up the camera equipment that had been returned to him in the past few days.

    The guards seemed crazed by the growing noise of the helicopters that flew over the house, went back toward the valley, and returned almost grazing the treetops. The guards shouted for them to hurry and pushed the hostages toward the outside door. They gave them white hats so they would look like campesinos from the air. They threw a black shawl over Diana, and Richard put on his leather jacket. The guards ordered them to run for the mountain, while they spread out and ran too, their weapons ready to fire when the helicopters were within range. Diana and Richard began to climb a narrow, rocky path.

    The slope was very steep, and the hot sun burned straight down from the middle of the sky. Diana was exhausted after only a few meters, when the helicopters were already in view. At the first burst of gunfire, Richard threw himself to the ground. “Don’t move,” Diana shouted. “Play dead.” And then she fell facedown beside him.

    “They killed me,” she screamed. “I can’t move my legs.”

    She could not, in fact, but she felt no pain either and she asked Richard to look at her back because before she dropped she had felt something like an electric shock at her waist. Richard raised her shirt and just above the left hip bone saw a clean tiny hole, with no blood.

    The shooting continued, coming closer and closer, and a desperate Diana insisted that Richard leave her there and get away, but he stayed, hoping for help that would save her too. While they waited, he placed in her hand a Virgin that he always carried in his pocket, and he prayed with her. The gunfire came to an abrupt end, and two members of the Elite Corps appeared on the trail, their weapons at the ready.

    Richard, who was kneeling beside Diana, raised his arms and said, “Don’t shoot!” One of the agents stared at him with a look of astonishment and asked:

    “Where’s Pablo?”

    “I don’t know,” Richard said. “I’m Richard Becerra, I’m a journalist. This is Diana Turbay, and she’s wounded.”

    “Prove it,” said an agent.

    Richard showed him his identity card. With the help of some campesinos who emerged from the underbrush, they made an improvised litter from a sheet and carried her to the helicopter. The pain had become unbearable, but she was calm and lucid, and knew she was going to die.

    HALF AN HOUR LATER, former president Turbay received a call from a military source informing him that his daughter Diana and Francisco Santos had been rescued in Medellín in an operation carried out by the Elite Corps. He immediately called Hernando Santos, who let out a victory whoop and ordered the telephone operators at his newspaper to relay the news to the entire family. Then he called Alberto Villamizar’s apartment and repeated the news word for word. “How wonderful!” shouted Villamizar. His joy was sincere, but he realized right away that with Pacho and Diana free, the only killable hostages still in Escobar’s hands were Maruja and Beatriz.

    As he made urgent phone calls, he turned on the radio and discovered that the news was not yet on the air. He was about to dial Rafael Pardo’s number when the phone rang again. It was a disheartened Hernando Santos, calling to tell him that Turbay had amended his first information. It was not Francisco Santos who had been freed but the cameraman Richard Becerra, and Diana was seriously wounded. Hernando Santos, however, was not as disturbed by the error as he was by Turbay’s consternation at having caused him a counterfeit happiness.

    MARTHA LUPE ROJAS was not home when someone from the news program called to tell her that her son Richard was free. She had gone to her brother’s house, and was so anxious for news that she carried a portable radio with her wherever she went, but that day, for the first time since the abduction, the radio was not working.

    Someone told her that her son was safe, and in the cab on the way to the television station, she heard the familiar voice of the radio journalist Juan Gossaín bringing her back to reality: The reports from Medellín were still very confused. It had been confirmed that Diana Turbay was dead, but there was nothing definite about Richard Becerra. Martha Lupe began to pray in a quiet voice: “Dear God, send the bullets to the side, don’t let them touch him.” At that moment, Richard called his house from Medellín to tell her he was safe, and no one was home. But an emotional shout from Gossaín returned Martha Lupe’s soul to her body: “Extra! Extra! The cameraman Richard Becerra is alive!”

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 42

    Villamizar colgó el teléfono, ofuscado por su propio ímpetu. « ¿Y ahora qué hago?», se Preguntó. Para empezar pidió ayuda a los ex presidentes Alfonso López Michelsen y Misael Pastrana y a monseñor Darío Castrillón, obispo de Pereira. Todos hicieron declaraciones públicas de repudio a los métodos de los Extraditables y pidieron preservación de la vida de los rehenes. López Michelsen hizo por RCN un llamado al gobierno y a Escobar para que detuvieran la guerra y se buscara una solución política.

    En aquel momento ya la tragedia estaba consumada. Minutos antes de la madrugada del 21 de enero, Diana había escrito la última hoja de su diario. «Estamos próximos a los cinco meses y sólo nosotros sabemos lo que es esto -escribió-. No quiero perder la fe y la esperanza de regresar a casa sana y salva.»

    Ya no estaba sola. Después de la liberación de Azucena y Orlando había pedido que la reunieran con Richard, y fue complacida después de Navidad. Fue una fortuna para ambos.

    Conversaban hasta el agotamiento, escuchaban la radio hasta el amanecer, y así adquirieron la costumbre de dormir de día y vivir de noche. Se habían enterado de la muerte de los Priscos por una conversación de los guardianes. Uno lloraba. Otro, convencido de que aquél era el final, y refiriéndose sin duda a los secuestrados, preguntó: « ¿Y ahora qué hacemos con la mercancía?». El que lloraba no lo pensó siquiera.

    -Acabemos con ellos -dijo.

    Diana y Richard no conciliaron el sueño después del desayuno. Días antes les habían anunciado que los cambiarían de casa. No les había llamado la atención, pues en el mes corto que llevaban juntos los habían mudado dos veces a refugios cercanos, previendo ataques reales o imaginarios de la policía. Poco antes de las once de la mañana del 25 estaban en el cuarto de Diana comentando en susurros el diálogo de los guardianes, cuando oyeron ruidos de helicópteros por el rumbo de Medellín.

    Los servicios de inteligencia de la policía habían recibido en los últimos días numerosas llamadas anónimas sobre movimiento de gente armada en la vereda de Sabaneta –municipio de Copacabana-, y en especial en las fincas del Alto de la Cruz, Villa del Rosario y La Bola. Tal vez los carceleros de Diana y Richard planeaban trasladarlos al Alto de la Cruz, que era la finca más segura, porque estaba en una cumbre empinada y boscosa desde donde se dominaba todo el valle hasta Medellín. Como consecuencia de esas denuncias telefónicas y otros indicios propios, la policía estaba a punto de allanar la casa. Era un operativo de guerra grande: dos capitanes, nueve oficiales, siete suboficiales y noventa y nueve agentes, parte por tierra y parte en cuatro helicópteros artillados. Sin embargo, los guardianes ya no les hacían caso a los helicópteros porque pasaban a menudo sin que nada sucediera. De pronto uno de ellos se asomó a la puerta y lanzó el grito temible:

    -¡Nos cayó la ley!

    Diana y Richard se demoraron a propósito lo más que pudieron porque el momento era propicio para que llegara la policía: los cuatro guardianes eran de los menos duros, y parecían demasiado asustados para defenderse. Diana se cepilló los dientes y se puso una camisa blanca que había lavado el día anterior, se puso sus zapatos de tenis y los bluejeans que llevaba puestos el día del secuestro y que le quedaban demasiado grandes por la pérdida de peso. Richard se cambió de camisa y recogió el equipo de camarógrafo que le habían devuelto en esos días. Los guardianes parecían enloquecidos por el ruido creciente de los helicópteros que sobrevolaron la casa, se alejaron hacia el valle y volvieron casi a ras de los árboles. Los guardianes apuraban a gritos y empujaban a los secuestrados hacia la puerta de salida. Les dieron sombreros blancos para que los confundieran desde el aire con campesinos de la región. A Diana le echaron encima un pañolón negro y Richard se puso su chaqueta de cuero. Los guardianes les ordenaron correr hacia la montaña y ellos mismos lo hicieron también por separado con las armas montadas para disparar cuando los helicópteros estuvieran a su alcance. Diana y Richard empezaron a trepar por una trocha de piedras. La pendiente era muy pronunciada, y el sol ardiente caía a plomo desde el centro del cielo. Diana se sintió exhausta a los pocos metros cuando ya los helicópteros estaban a la vista. A la primera ráfaga, Richard se tiró al suelo. «No se mueva -le gritó Diana-.

    Hágase el muerto.» Al instante cayó a su lado, bocabajo.

    -Me mataron -gritó-. No puedo mover las piernas.

    No podía, en efecto, pero tampoco sentía ningún dolor, y le pidió a Richard que le examinara la espalda porque antes de caer había sentido en la cintura una especie de descarga eléctrica. Richard le levantó la camisa y vio a la altura de la cresta ilíaca izquierda un agujero minúsculo, nítido y sin sangre.

    Como el tiroteo continuaba, cada vez más cerca, Diana insistía desesperada en que Richard la dejara allí y escapara, pero él permaneció a su lado esperando una ayuda para ponerla a salvo. Mientras tanto, le puso en la mano una Virgen que llevaba siempre en el bolsillo, y rezó con ella. El tiroteo cesó de pronto y aparecieron en la trocha dos agentes del Cuerpo Elite con sus armas en ristre.

    Richard, arrodillado junto a Diana, levantó los brazos, y dijo: « ¡No disparen!». Uno de los agentes lo miró con una cara de gran sorpresa y le preguntó:

    -¿Dónde está Pablo?

    -No sé -dijo Richard-. Soy Richard Becerra, el periodista. Aquí está Diana Turbay y está herida.

    -Compruébelo-dijo un agente.

    Richard le mostró la cédula de identidad. Ellos y algunos campesinos que surgieron de las breñas ayudaron a transportar a Diana en una hamaca improvisada con una sábana, y la acostaron dentro del helicóptero. El dolor se le había vuelto insoportable, pero estaba tranquila y lúcida, y sabía que iba a morir.

    Media hora después, el ex presidente Turbay recibió una llamada de una fuente militar, para decirle que su hija Diana y Francisco Santos habían sido rescatados en Medellín mediante un operativo del Cuerpo Elite. De inmediato llamó a Hernando Santos, que lanzó un alarido de victoria, y ordenó a los telefonistas de su periódico que dieran la noticia a toda la familia dispersa. Luego llamó al apartamento de Alberto Villamizar, y le retransmitió la noticia tal como se la habían dado. «¡Qué maravilla! », gritó Villamizar. Su júbilo era sincero, pero enseguida cayó en la cuenta de que una vez liberados Pacho y Diana las únicas ejecutables que quedaban en manos de Escobar eran Maruja y Beatriz.

    Mientras hacía llamadas de urgencia encendió el radio y comprobó que la noticia no estaba todavía en el aire. Iba a marcar el número de Rafael Pardo, cuando el teléfono volvió a timbrar. Era otra vez Hernando Santos para decirle descorazonado que Turbay había corregido la primera noticia. El liberado no era Francisco Santos sino el camarógrafo Richard Becerra, y Diana estaba mal herida. Sin embargo, a Hernando Santos no lo perturbaba tanto el error, como la consternación de Turbay por haberle causado una falsa alegría.

    Martha Lupe Rojas no estaba en su casa cuando la llamaron del noticiero para darle la noticia de que Richard había sido liberado. Había ido a casa de sus hermanos, y estaba tan pendiente de las noticias que se llevó su radio portátil inseparable. Pero aquel día, por primera vez desde el secuestro, no funcionó.

    En el taxi que la llevaba al noticiero cuando alguien le dio la noticia de que su hijo estaba a salvo, la voz familiar del periodista Juan Gossaín la puso en la realidad: las informaciones de Medellín eran todavía muy confusas. Se había comprobado que Diana Turbay estaba muerta, pero no había nada claro sobre Richard Becerra. Martha Lupe empezó a rezar en voz baja: «Dios mío haz que las balas le pasen por un lado y no lo toquen». En ese momento, Richard llamó a su casa desde Medellín para contarle que estaba a salvo, y no la encontró. Pero el grito emocionado de Gossaín le devolvió el alma a Martha Lupe:

    -¡Extra! ¡Extra! ¡El camarógrafo Richard Becerra está vivo!

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb