News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 41

    Gaviria did not yield. Convinced that the time limit was the greatest obstacle to the capitulation policy, he resisted changing it in order to keep the Extraditables from getting what they were after when they took the hostages. The Constituent Assembly, shrouded in uncertainties, would meet in the next few days, and he could not allow weakness on the part of the government to result in an amnesty for the drug traffickers. “Democracy was never endangered by the assassinations of four presidential candidates, or because of any abduction,” Gaviria would later comment. “The real threat came at those moments when we faced the temptation, or risk, or even the rumor of a possibility of an amnesty”—in short, the unthinkable danger that the conscience of the Constituent Assembly would also be taken hostage. Gaviria already knew what he would do: If that happened, his calm, irrevocable decision was to dissolve the Assembly.

    For some time Nydia had been thinking that Dr. Turbay should do something for the captives that would shake the entire country: a mass demonstration outside the presidential palace, a general strike, a formal protest to the United Nations. But Dr. Turbay tried to mollify her. “He was always that way, because he was responsible and moderate,” Nydia has said. “But you knew that inside he was dying of grief.” That certainty, rather than soothing her, only intensified her anguish. This was when she decided to write a private letter to the president “that would move him to take the action he knew was necessary.”

    Dr. Gustavo Balcázar, Nydia’s husband, was worried about her, and on January 24 he persuaded his wife to spend a few days with him in their house in Tabio—an hour’s drive from the city, on the Bogotá savanna—to try to alleviate her despair. She had not been there since her daughter had been abducted, and so she brought her statue of the Virgin, and two large fifteen-day candles, and everything she needed to stay connected to reality.

    In the icy solitude of the savanna, she spent an interminable night on her knees, praying to the Virgin to protect Diana with an invulnerable bell jar that would shield her from abuse and fear, and not let bullets touch her. At five in the morning, after a brief, troubled sleep, she sat at the dining-room table and began to write the letter from her soul to the president of the republic. Dawn found her scrawling random ideas, crying, tearing up drafts as she wept, and making clean copies in a sea of tears.

    In contrast to her own expectations, she was writing the most judicious and forceful letter of her life. “I don’t pretend to be composing a public document,” it began. “I want to communicate with the president of my country and, with all due respect, convey to him my most considered thoughts, and a justifiably anguished plea.” Despite the president’s repeated promise that no armed effort to rescue Diana would ever be attempted, Nydia left written evidence of a prescient appeal: “The country knows, and all of you know, that if they happen to find the kidnappers during one of those searches, a terrible tragedy might ensue.” Convinced that the obstacles present in the second decree had interrupted the process of releasing hostages begun by the Extraditables before Christmas, Nydia alerted the president to a new, self-evident danger: If the government did not take some immediate action to remove those obstacles, the hostages risked having the issue left in the hands of the Constituent Assembly. “This would mean that the distress and anguish suffered not only by the families but by the entire nation would be prolonged for endless months,” she wrote. Nydia ended with an elegant closing: “Because of my convictions, because of the respect I have for you as First Magistrate of the Nation, I would be incapable of suggesting any initiative of my own devising, but I do feel inclined to entreat you, for the sake of innocent lives, not to underestimate the danger that time represents.”

    When it was finished and copied out in a fair hand, it came to two and a quarter full-size sheets. Nydia called the president’s private secretary to find out exactly where it should be sent.

    That same morning the storm broke with the news that the leaders of the Prisco gang had been killed: David Ricardo and Armando Alberto Prisco Lopera, the brothers accused of the seven assassinations of public figures during this time, and of being the brains behind the abductions, including the capture of Diana Tur-bay and her crew. One had died carrying false papers that identified him as Francisco Muñoz Serna, but when Azucena Liévano saw the photograph in the papers she recognized don Pacho, the man responsible for her and Diana in their captivity. His death and his brother’s, at that turbulent moment, were an irreparable loss for Escobar, and he would not wait long to make that known by actions.

    In a threatening communiqué, the Extraditables said that David Ricardo had not been killed in combat but cut down by the police in front of his young children and pregnant wife. As for his brother Armando, the communiqué insisted he had not been killed in a gunfight, as the police claimed, but murdered on a farm in Rionegro even though he was paralyzed as the result of an earlier attempt on his life. His wheelchair, the message said, could be seen clearly on the regional newscast.

    This was the communiqué that had been mentioned to Pacho Santos. It was made public on January 25 with the announcement that two captives would be executed within a week’s time, and that the first order had already been issued against Marina Montoya—a stunning piece of news, since it was assumed that Marina had been murdered at the time of her abduction in September.

    “That’s what I was referring to when I sent the president the message about the bodies in sacks,” Nydia has said, recalling that ghastly day. “It’s not that I was impulsive, or temperamental, or in need of psychiatric care. But they were going to kill my daughter because I might not be able to move the people who could stop it.”

    Alberto Villamizar was no less desperate. “That was the most horrible day of my life,” he said at the time, convinced that the executions would not be long in coming. Who would be first: Diana, Pacho, Maruja, Beatriz, Richard? It was a deadly lottery he did not even want to imagine. He called President Gaviria in a rage.

    “You have to stop these raids,” he said.

    “No, Alberto,” Gaviria responded with his blood-chilling calm. “That isn’t why I was elected.”

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 41

    Gaviria no cedió. Estaba ya convencido de que el plazo fijo era el escollo mayor de su política de entregas, pero se resistía a cambiarlo para que los Extraditables no consiguieran lo que perseguían con los secuestros. La Asamblea Constituyente iba a reunirse en los próximos días en medio de una expectativa incierta, y no podía permitirse que por una debilidad del gobierno le concediera el indulto al narcotráfico. «La democracia nunca estuvo en peligro por los asesinatos de cuatro candidatos presidenciales ni por ningún secuestro -diría Gaviria más tarde. Cuando lo estuvo de veras fue en aquellos momentos en que existió la tentación o el riesgo, o el rumor de que se estaba incubando la posibilidad del indulto.» Es decir: el riesgo inconcebible de que secuestraran también la conciencia de la Asamblea Constituyente. Gaviria lo tenía ya decidido: si eso ocurría, su determinación serena e irrevocable era hundir la Constituyente.

    Nydia andaba desde hacía algún tiempo con la idea de que el doctor Turbay hiciera algo que estremeciera al país en favor de los secuestrados: una manifestación multitudinaria frente al Palacio Presidencial, un paro cívico, una protesta formal ante las Naciones Unidas.

    Pero el doctor Turbay la apaciguaba. «Él siempre fue así, por su responsabilidad y su mesura -ha dicho Nydia-. Pero uno sabía que por dentro estaba muriéndose de dolor.» Esa certidumbre, en lugar de aliviarla, le aumentaba la angustia. Fue entonces cuando tomó la determinación de escribirle al presidente de la república una carta privada «que lo motivara a moverse en lo que él sabía que era necesario».

    El doctor Gustavo Balcázar, preocupado por la postración de su esposa Nydia, la convenció el 24 de enero de que se fueran unos días a su casa de Tabio -a una hora de carretera en la sabana de Bogotá- para buscarle un alivio a su angustia. No había vuelto allá desde el secuestro de la hija, así que se llevó su Virgen de bulto y dos velones para quince días cada uno, y todo lo que pudiera hacerle falta para no desconectarse de la realidad. Pasó una noche interminable en la soledad helada de la sabana, pidiéndole de rodillas a la Virgen que protegiera a Diana con una campana de cristal invulnerable para que nadie le faltara el respeto, para que no sintiera miedo, para que rebotaran las balas. A las cinco de la mañana, después de un sueño breve y azaroso, empezó a escribir en la mesa del comedor la carta de su alma para el presidente de la república. El amanecer la sorprendió garrapateando ideas fugitivas, llorando, rompiendo borradores sin dejar de llorar, sacándolos en limpio en un mar de lágrimas.

    Al contrario de lo que ella misma había previsto, estaba escribiendo su carta más juiciosa y drástica. «No pretendo hacer un documento público -empezó-. Quiero llegar al presidente de mi país y, con el respeto que me merece, hacerle unas comedidas reflexiones y una angustiada y razonable súplica.» A pesar de la reiterada promesa presidencial de que nunca se intentaría un operativo armado para liberar a Diana, Nydia dejó la constancia escrita de una súplica premonitoria: «Lo sabe el país y lo saben ustedes, que si en uno de esos allanamientos tropiezan con los secuestrados se podría producir una horrible tragedia».

    Convencida de que los escollos del segundo decreto habían interrumpido el proceso de liberaciones iniciado por los Extraditables antes de Navidad, Nydia alertó al presidente con un temor nuevo y lúcido: si el gobierno no tomaba alguna determinación inmediata para remover esos escollos, los rehenes corrían el riesgo de que el tema quedara en manos de la Asamblea Constituyente. «Esto haría que la zozobra y la angustia, que no sólo padecemos los familiares sino el país entero, se prolongara por interminables meses más», escribió. Y concluyó con una reverencia elegante: «Por mis convicciones, por el respeto que le profeso como Primer Magistrado de la Nación, sería incapaz de sugerirle alguna iniciativa de mi propia cosecha, pero sí me siento inclinada a suplicarle que en defensa de unas vidas inocentes no desestime el peligro que representa el factor tiempo». Una vez terminada y transcrita con buena letra, fueron dos hojas y un cuarto de tamaño oficio. Nydia dejó un mensaje en la secretaría privada de la presidencia para que le indicara dónde debía mandarlas.

    Esa misma mañana se precipitó la tormenta con la noticia de que habían sido muertos los cabecillas de la banda de los Priscos: los hermanos David Ricardo y Armando Alberto Prisco Lopera, acusados de los siete magnicidios de aquellos años, y de ser los cerebros de los secuestros, entre ellos el de Diana Turbay y su equipo. Uno había muerto con la falsa identidad de Francisco Muñoz Serna, pero cuando Azucena Liévano vio la foto en los periódicos reconoció en él a Don Pacho, el hombre que se ocupaba de Diana y de ella durante el cautiverio. Su muerte, y la de su hermano, justo en aquellos momentos de confusión, fueron una pérdida irreparable para Escobar, y no tardaría en hacerlo saber con hechos.

    Los Extraditables dijeron en un comunicado amenazante que David Ricardo no había sido muerto en combate, sino acribillado por la policía delante de sus pequeños hijos y de la esposa embarazada. Sobre su hermano Armando, el comunicado aseguró que tampoco había muerto en combate, como dijo la policía, sino asesinado en una finca de Rionegro, a pesar de que se encontraba paralítico como consecuencia de un atentado anterior. La silla de ruedas, decía el comunicado, se veía con claridad en el noticiero de la televisión regional.

    Éste era el comunicado del cual le habían hablado a Pacho Santos. Se conoció el 25 de enero con el anuncio de que serían ejecutados dos rehenes en un intervalo de ocho días, y la primera orden había sido ya impartida contra Marina Montoya. Noticia sorprendente, pues se suponía que Marina había sido asesinada tan pronto como la secuestraron en setiembre.

    «A eso me refería cuando le mandé al presidente el mensaje de los encostalados -ha dicho Nydia recordando aquella jornada atroz-. No es que fuera impulsiva, ni temperamental, ni que necesitara tratamiento siquiátrico. Es que a quien iban a matar era a mi hija, porque quizás no fui capaz de mover a quienes pudieron impedirlo.»

    La desesperación de Alberto Villamizar no podía ser menor. «Ese día fue el más horrible que pasé en mi vida», dijo entonces, convencido de que las ejecuciones no se harían esperar. Quién sería: ¿Diana, Pacho, Maruja, Beatriz, Richard? Era una rifa de muerte que no quería imaginar siquiera. Enfurecido llamó al presidente Gaviria.

    -Usted tiene que parar estos operativos -le dijo.

    -No, Alberto -le contestó Gaviria con su tranquilidad escalofriante- A mí no me eligieron para eso.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb