News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 37

    On the afternoon of January 22, they were visited by the “Doctor” who had been there during the first few days of captivity. He spoke in secret to the guards and listened with great attention to Maruja’s and Beatriz’s comments on Marina’s health. At last he sat down on the edge of the bed to talk to her. The topic must have been serious and confidential because their whispers were so faint no one could make out a word. The “Doctor” left the room in a better humor than when he came in, and promised to return soon.

    Marina remained in bed in a state of utter dejection. She cried from time to time. Maruja attempted to comfort her, and Marina thanked her with gestures so as not to interrupt her prayers, and almost always responded with affection, squeezing Maruja’s hand with her stiff, ice-cold one. She treated Beatriz, with whom she had a warmer relationship, with the same affection. The only habit that kept her alive was filing her nails.

    At ten-thirty on the night of Wednesday, January 23, they began to watch “Enfoque,” eager for any unusual word, familiar joke, casual gesture, or subtle changes in the lyrics of a song that might contain a coded message. But there was no time. Just as the theme music began, the door opened at this unusual hour and the Monk came in, though he was not on duty that night.

    “We came to take Granny to another house,” he said.

    He said it as if it were a Sunday outing. In her bed, Marina looked like a marble carving, with her hair disheveled and pallor so intense that even her lips were white. Then the Monk spoke to her in the affectionate tones of a grandson.

    “Get your things together, Granny,” he said. “You have five minutes.”

    He tried to help her up. Marina opened her mouth to say something, but no sound came out. She stood without help, picked up the bag that held her personal effects, and went to the bathroom with the light step of a sleepwalker who does not seem to touch the ground.

    Maruja confronted the Monk, her voice steady.

    “Are you going to kill her?”

    The Monk bristled.

    “You can’t ask a thing like that!” he said. But he regained his composure right away and said: “I told you she’s going to a better house. I swear.”

    Maruja tried everything to stop them from taking her away. Because no boss was there, which was very unusual in so important a decision, she told them to call one for her so that they could discuss it. But the dispute was interrupted when another guard came in to take away the radio and television. He disconnected them with no further explanation, and the last traces of the New Year’s Eve party vanished from the room. Maruja asked them to at least let them see the end of the program. Beatriz’s response was even more aggressive, but it did no good. They took the radio and television and said they would be back for Marina in five minutes. Maruja and Beatriz, alone in the room, did not know what to believe, or whom, or to what extent this inscrutable decision played a part in their own destinies.

    Marina spent much more than five minutes in the bathroom. She came back wearing the pink sweat- suit, the maroon men’s socks, and the shoes she had worn on the day of her abduction. The sweat-suit was clean and freshly ironed. The shoes were mildewed and seemed too big, because her feet had shrunk two sizes in four months of suffering.

    Marina looked ashen and gleaming with icy perspiration, but she still held on to a shred of hope.

    “Who knows, maybe they’re going to release me!” she said.

    Without arranging it ahead of time, Maruja and Beatriz each decided that, regardless of Marina’s fate, the most Christian thing was to deceive her.

    “Of course they are,” said Beatriz.

    “That’s right,” said Maruja with her first radiant smile. “How wonderful!”

    Marina’s reaction was surprising. In a half-joking, half-serious way she asked what messages they wanted to send to their families. They did their best to improvise something. Marina, laughing at herself a little, asked Beatriz to lend her some of the aftershave that Spots had given her on New Year’s Eve. Beatriz did, and Marina dabbed it behind her ears with innate elegance, arranged her beautiful snow-white hair without a mirror, touching it lightly with her fingertips, and when she was finished seemed ready to be free and happy.

    In reality she was on the verge of fainting. She asked Maruja for a cigarette and sat on the bed to smoke it until they came for her. She smoked slowly, in great, anguished mouthfuls, while she looked over every millimeter of that hole where she had not found a moment’s pity, and where at the end they did not even grant her the dignity of dying in her bed.

    Beatriz, to keep from crying, repeated with absolute gravity the message for her family:

    “If you have a chance to see my husband and children, tell them I’m well and love them very much.” But Marina was no longer of this world.

    “Don’t ask me to do that,” she replied, not even looking at her. “I know I’ll never have the chance.”

    Maruja brought her a glass of water with two of the barbiturates that could have put her to sleep for three days. She had to hold the glass for her while she drank because Marina’s hands were trembling so much she could not raise it to her lips. That was when Maruja looked deep into her brilliant eyes and realized that Marina was deceiving no one, not even herself. She knew very well who she was, how much she was worth to her captors, and where they were taking her, and if she had followed the lead of the last friends left to her in life, it had been out of compassion.

    They brought her a new hood of pink wool that matched her sweat-suit. Before they put it over her head, she said goodbye to Maruja with a hug and a kiss. Maruja blessed her and said, “Don’t worry.” She said goodbye to Beatriz with another hug and kiss and said:

    “God bless you.” Beatriz, true to herself to the end, kept up the illusion.

    “How marvelous, you’ll be seeing your family,” she said.

    Marina turned to the guards without a tear. They turned the hood around, with the openings for the eyes and mouth at the back of her head so she could not see anything.

    The Monk took both her hands and led her out of the house, walking backward. Marina followed with unfaltering steps. The other guard locked the door from the outside.

    Maruja and Beatriz stood motionless in front of the closed door, not knowing how to take up their lives again, until they heard the engines in the garage and then the sound fading away in the distance. Only then did they realize that the television and radio had been taken away to keep them from knowing how the night would end.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 37

    En la tarde del 22 las visitó también el Doctor de los primeros días. Conversó en secreto con sus guardianes y oyó con atención los comentarios de Maruja y Beatriz sobre la salud de Marina. Al final se sentó a conversar con ella en el borde de la cama. Debió ser algo serio y confidencial, pues los susurros de ambos fueron tan tenues que nadie descifró una palabra. El Doctor salió del cuarto con mejor humor que cuando llegó, y prometió volver pronto.

    Marina se quedó deprimida en la cama. Lloraba a ratos. Maruja trató de alentarla, y ella se lo agradecía con gestos por no interrumpir sus oraciones, y casi siempre le correspondía con afecto, le apretaba la mano con su mano yerta. A Beatriz, con quien tenía una relación más cálida, la trataba con el mismo cariño. El único hábito que la mantuvo viva fue el de limarse las uñas.

    A las diez y media de la noche del 23, miércoles, empezaban a ver en la televisión el programa Enfoque, pendientes de cualquier palabra distinta, de cualquier chiste familiar, del gesto menos pensado, de cambios sutiles en la letra de una canción que pudieran esconder mensajes cifrados. Pero no hubo tiempo. Apenas iniciado el tema musical, la puerta se abrió a una hora insólita y entró el Monje, aunque no estaba de turno esa noche.

    -Venimos por la abuela para llevarla a otra finca -dijo.

    Lo dijo como si fuera una invitación dominical. Marina en la cama quedó como tallada en mármol, con una palidez intensa, hasta en los labios, y con el cabello erizado. El Monje se dirigió entonces a ella con su afecto de nieto.

    -Recoja sus cosas, abuela -le dijo-. Tiene cinco minutos.

    Quiso ayudarla a levantarse. Marina abrió la boca para decir algo pero no lo logró. Se levantó sin ayuda, cogió el talego de sus cosas personales, y salió para el baño con una levedad de sonámbula que no parecía pisar el suelo. Maruja enfrentó al Monje con la voz impávida.

    -¿La van a matar?

    El Monje se crispó.

    -Esas vainas no se preguntan -dijo. Pero se recuperó enseguida-: Ya le dije que va para una finca mejor. Palabra.

    Maruja trató de impedir a toda costa que se la llevaran. Como no había allí ningún jefe, cosa insólita en una decisión tan importante, pidió que llamaran a uno de parte de ella para discutirlo. Pero la disputa fue interrumpida por otro guardián que entró a llevarse el radio y el televisor. Los desconectó sin más explicaciones, y el último destello de la fiesta se desvaneció en el cuarto. Maruja les pidió que les dejaran al menos terminar el programa.

    Beatriz fue aún más agresiva, pero fue inútil. Se fueron con el radio y el televisor, y dejaron dicho a Marina que volvían por ella en cinco minutos. Maruja y Beatriz, solas en el cuarto, no sabían qué creer, ni a quién creérselo, ni hasta qué punto aquella decisión inescrutable formaba parte de sus destinos.

    Marina se demoró en el baño mucho más de cinco minutos. Volvió al dormitorio con la sudadera rosada completa, las medias marrones de hombre y los zapatos que llevaba el día del secuestro. La sudadera estaba limpia y recién planchada. Los zapatos tenían el verdín de la humedad y parecían demasiado grandes, porque los pies habían disminuido dos números en cuatro meses de sufrimientos. Marina seguía descolorida y empapada por un sudor glacial, pero todavía le quedaba una brizna de ilusión.

    -¡Quién sabe si me van a liberar! -dijo.

    Sin ponerse de acuerdo, Maruja y Beatriz decidieron que cualquiera que fuese la suerte de Marina, lo más cristiano era engañarla.

    -Seguro que sí -le dijo Beatriz.

    -Así es -dijo Maruja con su primera sonrisa radiante. ¡Qué maravilla!

    La reacción de Marina fue sorprendente. Les preguntó entre broma y de veras qué recados querían mandar a sus familias. Ellas los improvisaron lo mejor que pudieron. Marina, riéndose un poco de sí misma, le pidió a Beatriz que le prestara la loción de hombre que Lamparón le había regalado en la Navidad. Beatriz se la prestó, y Marina se perfumó detrás de las orejas con una elegancia legítima, se arregló sin espejo con leves toques de los dedos la hermosa cabellera de nieves marchitas, y al final pareció dispuesta para ser libre y feliz.

    En realidad, estaba al borde del desmayo. Le pidió un cigarrillo a Maruja, y se sentó a fumárselo en la cama mientras iban por ella. Se lo fumó despacio, con grandes bocanadas de angustia, mientras repasaba milímetro a milímetro la miseria de aquel antro en el que no encontró un instante de piedad, y en el que no le concedieron al final ni siquiera la dignidad de morir en su cama.

    Beatriz, para no llorar, le repitió en serio el mensaje para su familia: «Si tiene oportunidad de ver a mi marido y a mis hijos, dígales que estoy bien y que los quiero mucho». Pero Marina no era ya de este mundo.

    -No me pida eso -le contestó sin mirarla siquiera-. Yo sé que nunca tendré esa oportunidad.

    Maruja le llevó un vaso de agua con dos pastillas barbitúricas que habrían bastado para dormir tres días. Tuvo que darle el agua, porque Marina no acertaba a encontrarse la boca con el vaso por el temblor de las manos. Entonces le vio el fondo de los ojos radiantes, y eso le bastó para darse cuenta de que Marina no se engañaba ni a sí misma. Sabía muy bien quién era, cuánto debían por ella y para dónde la llevaban, y si les había seguido la corriente a las últimas amigas que le quedaron en la vida había sido también por compasión.

    Le llevaron una capucha nueva, de lana rosada que hacía juego con la sudadera. Antes de que se la pusieran se despidió de Maruja con un abrazo y un beso. Maruja le dio la bendición y le dijo: «Tranquila». Se despidió de Beatriz con otro abrazo y otro beso, y le dijo: «Que Dios la bendiga». Beatriz, fiel a sí misma hasta el último instante, se mantuvo en la ilusión.

    -Qué rico que va a ver a su familia -le dijo.

    Marina se entregó a los guardianes sin una lágrima. Le pusieron la capucha al revés, con los agujeros de los ojos y la boca en la nuca, para que no pudiera ver. El Monje la tomó de las dos manos, con un cuidado de nieto, y la sacó de la casa caminando hacia atrás. Marina se dejó llevar caminando bien y con pasos seguros. El otro guardián cerró la puerta desde fuera.

    Maruja y Beatriz se quedaron inmóviles frente a la puerta cerrada, sin saber por dónde retomar la vida, hasta que oyeron los motores en el garaje, y se desvaneció su rumor en el horizonte. Sólo entonces entendieron que les habían quitado el televisor y el radio para que no conocieran el final de la noche. 

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb