News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 36

    ONE OF THE GUARDS finishing his tour of duty in January burst into Pacho Santos’s room.

    “It’s all fucked up,” he said. “They’re going to kill hostages.”

    According to him, this was in retaliation for the death of the Priscos, Escobar’s close associates. The communiqué was ready and would be released in the next few hours. First they would kill Marina Montoya; and then one hostage every three days in this order: Richard Becerra, Beatriz, Maruja, and Diana.

    “You’ll be the last,” the guard concluded by way of consolation. “But don’t worry; this government can’t stomach more than two dead bodies.”

    Pacho made his terrified calculations based on the guard’s information: He had eighteen more days to live. Then he decided to write to his wife and children, and with no rough draft he composed a letter that filled six full-size sheets of notebook paper, printing the words in lowercase letters as he always did, but these were more legible than usual, and his hand was steady though he knew this was not only a letter of farewell, but also his will and testament.

    “My only wish is for this drama to end as soon as possible, regardless of the outcome, so that we may all have some peace at last,” it began. He was profoundly grateful, he said, to María Victoria, with whom he had grown as a man, as a citizen, and as a father, and his only regret was having given greater importance to his work as a journalist than to his life at home. “I take this remorse with me to the grave,” he wrote. As for his children, who were still babies, he was reassured by the certainty that he was leaving them in the best hands. “Tell them about me when they can understand what happened and accept with some equanimity the needless pain of my death.” He thanked his father for all that he had done for him in his life, and asked him only “to take care of everything before you come to join me so my children can receive their inheritance without major difficulties.” In this way he led into a subject that he considered “boring but fundamental” for the future: “Financial security for his children and family unity within El Tiempo.”

    The first depended in large part on the life insurance the paper had purchased for his wife and children. “I ask you to demand what they promised,” He said, “because it would not be fair if my sacrifices for the paper proved to be completely useless.” As for the professional, commercial, or political future of the paper, his only concerns were its internal rivalries and disagreements, though he knew that in great families discord is never trivial. “It would be very sad, after this sacrifice, if El Tiempo were broken up or sold to outsiders.”

    The letter closed with final words of gratitude to Mariavé for the memory of the good times they had shared. The guard was moved when Pacho handed it to him. “Don’t you worry, man,” he said, “I’ll make sure it gets there.” The truth was that Pacho Santos did not have the eighteen days he had calculated but just a few hours. He was first on the list, and the killing had been ordered the day before. Fortunately, Martha Nieves Ochoa happened to hear about it—from third parties—at the eleventh hour and sent Escobar a plea for a reprieve, convinced that this killing would leave the country in ruins. She never knew if he received it, but the fact was that the order to kill Pacho Santos was not carried out, and in its place a second, irrevocable order was issued against Marina Montoya.

    Marina seemed to have foreseen this early in January. For reasons she never explained, she decided to take her exercise in the company of her old friend the Monk, who had returned with the year’s first change of guard. They would walk for an hour after the television programs went off the air, and then Maruja and Beatriz would go out with their guards. One night Marina came in very frightened because she had seen a man dressed in black, wearing a black mask, watching her in the dark from the laundry area. Maruja and Beatriz thought it had to be another of her recurrent hallucinations, and they paid no attention to it. Their impression was confirmed that same night, because there was not enough light to see a man in black standing in the darkness of the laundry. And if by some chance it were true, he had to be someone well known in the house because the German shepherd did not raise the alarm, and the dog barked at its own shadow. The Monk said it must have been a ghost that only she could see.

    Two or three nights later, however, she came back from her walk in a real state of panic.

    The man had returned, still dressed all in black, and with frightening attention had watched her for a long time, not caring that she was looking at him too. On this night, in contrast to the previous occasions, there was a full moon illuminating the courtyard with an eerie green light. Marina told her story in front of the Monk, and he denied it, but with such tangled reasoning that Maruja and Beatriz did not know what to believe. Marina stopped going out for walks. The doubts regarding her fantasies and reality made so strong an impression that Maruja experienced a real hallucination when she opened her eyes one night and saw the Monk in the light of the bedside candle, squatting as always, his mask turned into a skull. The effect on Maruja was even greater because she connected the vision to the anniversary of her mother’s death on January 23.

    Marina spent the weekend in bed, suffering from an old back pain that she thought had been cured long ago. Her dark mood returned. Because she could do nothing for herself, Maruja and Beatriz did everything for her. They almost had to carry her to the bathroom.

    They fed her and held the glass for her, and arranged a pillow behind her back so she could watch television from bed. They pampered her, and felt real affection for her, but never had they felt so despised.

    “Look how sick I am and you two won’t even help me,” Marina would say. “And I’ve done so much for you.”

    Often she only succeeded in deepening the sense of abandonment that tormented her.

    Marina’s only real solace during that final crisis was the furious prayers she murmured without letup for hours on end, and the care of her nails. After several days, weary of everything, she lay prostrate on her bed and whispered with a sigh:

    “All right, it’s in God’s hands now.”

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 36

    Uno de los guardianes que terminaban el turno de enero irrumpió en el cuarto de Pacho Santos.

    -Esta vaina se jodió -le dijo-. Van a matar rehenes.

    Según él, sería una represalia por la muerte de los Priscos. El comunicado estaba listo y saldría en las próximas horas. Matarían primero a Marina Montoya y luego uno cada tres días en su orden: Richard Becerra, Beatriz, Maruja y Diana.

    -El último será usted -concluyó el guardián a manera de consuelo-. Pero no se preocupe, que este gobierno no aguanta ya más de dos muertos.

    Pacho, aterrorizado, hizo sus cuentas según los datos del guardián: le quedaban dieciocho días de vida. Entonces decidió escribir a su esposa y a sus hijos, sin borrador, una carta de seis hojas completas de cuaderno escolar, con su caligrafía de minúsculas separadas, como letras de imprenta, pero más legibles que de costumbre, y con el pulso firme y la conciencia de que no sólo era una carta de adiós, sino su testamento.

    «Sólo deseo que este drama, no importa cuál sea el final, acabe lo más pronto posible para que todos podamos tener por fin la paz», empezaba. Su gratitud más grande era para María Victoria -decía-, con quien había crecido como hombre, como ciudadano y como padre, y lo único que lamentaba era haberle dado mayor importancia a su oficio de periodista que a la vida doméstica. «Con ese remordimiento bajo a la tumba», escribió. En cuanto a sus hijos casi recién nacidos lo tranquilizaba la seguridad de que quedaban en las mejores manos. «Háblales de mí cuando puedan entender a cabalidad lo que sucedió y así asimilen sin dramatismo los dolores innecesarios de mi muerte.» A su padre le agradecía lo mucho que había hecho por él en la vida, y sólo le pedía «que arregles todo antes de venir a unirte conmigo para evitarles a mis hijos los grandes dolores de cabeza en esa rapiña que se avecina». De este modo entró en materia sobre un punto que consideraba «aburrido pero fundamental» para el futuro: la solvencia de sus hijos y la unidad familiar dentro de El Tiempo. Lo primero dependía en gran parte de los seguros de vida que el diario había comprado para su esposa y sus hijos. «Te pido exigir que te den lo que nos ofrecieron – decía- pues es apenas justo que mis sacrificios por el periódico no sean del todo en vano.» En cuanto al futuro profesional, comercial o político del diario, su única preocupación eran las rivalidades y discrepancias internas, consciente de que las grandes familias no tienen pleitos pequeños. «Sería muy triste que después de este sacrificio El Tiempo acabe dividido o en otras manos.» La carta terminaba con un último reconocimiento a Mariavé por el recuerdo de los buenos tiempos que vivieron juntos.

    El guardián la recibió conmovido.

    -Tranquilo, papito -le dijo-, yo me encargo de que llegue.

    La verdad era que a Pacho Santos no le quedaban entonces los dieciocho días calculados sino unas pocas horas. Era el primero de la lista, y la orden de asesinato había sido dada el día anterior. Martha Nieves Ochoa se enteró a última hora por una casualidad afortunada –a través de terceras personas- y le envió a Escobar una súplica de perdón, convencida de que aquella muerte terminaría de incendiar el país. Nunca supo si la recibió, pero el hecho fue que la orden contra Pacho Santos no se conoció nunca, y en su lugar se impartió otra irrevocable contra Marina Montoya.

    Marina parecía haberlo presentido desde principios de enero. Por razones que nunca explicó, había decidido hacer las caminatas acompañada por el Monje, su viejo amigo, que había vuelto en el primer relevo del año. Caminaban una hora desde que terminaba la televisión, y después salían Maruja y Beatriz con sus guardianes. Una de esas noches Marina regresó muy asustada, porque había visto un hombre vestido de negro y con una máscara negra, que la miraba en la oscuridad desde el lavadero. Maruja y Beatriz pensaron que debía ser una más de sus alucinaciones recurrentes, y no le hicieron caso. Confirmaron esa impresión el mismo día, pues no había ninguna luz para ver un hombre de negro en las tinieblas del lavadero. De ser cierto, además, debía tratarse de alguien muy conocido en la casa para no alebrestar al pastor alemán que se espantaba de su propia sombra. El Monje dijo que debía ser un aparecido que sólo ella veía.

    Sin embargo, dos o tres noches después regresó del paseo en un verdadero estado de pánico. El hombre había vuelto, siempre de negro absoluto, y la había observado largo rato con una atención pavorosa sin importarle que también ella lo mirara. A diferencia de las noches anteriores, aquélla era de luna llena y el patio estaba iluminado por un verde fantástico. Marina lo contó delante del Monje, y éste la desmintió, pero con razones tan enrevesadas que Maruja y Beatriz no supieron qué pensar. Desde entonces no volvió Marina a caminar. Las dudas entre sus fantasías y la realidad eran tan impresionantes, que Maruja sufrió una alucinación real, una noche en que abrió los ojos y vio al Monje a la luz de la veladora, acuclillado como siempre, y vio su máscara convertida en una calavera. La impresión de Maruja fue mayor, porque relacionó la visión con el aniversario de la muerte de su madre el próximo 23 de enero.

    Marina pasó el fin de semana en la cama, postrada por un viejo dolor de la columna vertebral que parecía olvidado. Le volvió el humor turbio de los primeros días. Como no podía valerse de sí misma, Maruja y Beatriz se pusieron a su servicio. La llevaban al baño casi en vilo. Le daban la comida y el agua en la boca, le acomodaban una almohada en la espalda para que viera la televisión desde la cama. La mimaban, la querían de veras, pero nunca se sintieron tan menospreciadas.

    -Miren lo enferma que estoy y ustedes ni me ayudan -les decía Marina-. Yo, que las he ayudado tanto.

    A veces sólo conseguía aumentar el justo sentimiento de abandono que la atormentaba. En realidad, el único alivio de Marina en aquella crisis de postrimerías fueron los rezos encarnizados que murmuraba sin tregua durante horas, y el cuidado de sus uñas. Al cabo de varios días, cansada de todo, se tendió exhausta en la cama y suspiró:

    -Bueno, que sea lo que Dios quiera.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb