News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 34

    The hostages greeted the replacement crew of guards with a sigh of relief, for they were the same ones who had been waiting for them on the night of the abduction and the prisoners knew how to deal with them. Maruja in particular felt a sense of deliverance, for her poor health had kept her in low spirits. At first her terror had taken the form of erratic pains all over her body, which forced her into uncomfortable postures. But then the pain became concrete as a result of the inhuman regime imposed by the guards. Early in December, to punish her rebelliousness, they would not allow her to use the bathroom for an entire day, and when at last they gave permission, nothing happened. This was the beginning of a chronic cystitis, and then bleeding, which lasted until the end of her captivity.

    Marina, who had learned sports massage from her husband, committed her meager strength to healing her. She still had high spirits left over from New Year’s Eve. She remained optimistic, told stories: She was alive. The inclusion of her name and photograph in a television campaign in support of the hostages restored her sense of hope and joy. She was her old self again: She existed again, she was there. Her picture was always shown in the first segment of the campaign, and then one day, with no explanation, it did not appear. Maruja and Beatriz did not have the heart to tell her that perhaps she had been removed from the list because no one thought she was still alive.

    December 31 was important to Beatriz because that was the latest date she had fixed for her release. She was so devastated by disappointment that her cellmates did not know what to do for her. At one point Maruja could not look at her because when she did, Beatriz broke down and burst into tears, and they began to ignore each other in a space not much larger than a bathroom. The situation became untenable.

    The most reliable distraction for the three hostages, in the endless hours following their bathroom privileges, was to massage their legs with the moisturizing cream their jailers supplied in sufficient quantities to keep them from going mad. One day Beatriz realized it was running out.

    “What are we going to do when there’s no more cream?” she asked Maruja.

    “Well, we can always ask for more,” Maruja replied in a caustic tone. And she added with an emphasis that was even more caustic: “Or else we’ll just have to make a decision when the time comes. Okay?”

    “Don’t you dare talk to me like that?!” Beatriz shouted in a sudden explosion of rage. “Not when it’s your damn fault I’m here!”

    The explosion was inevitable. In an instant she said everything she had kept to herself during so many days of repressed tensions, so many nights of horror. The surprise was that it had not happened earlier or been more rancorous. Beatriz had kept to the sidelines, holding back, swallowing her rancor whole without tasting it. The inconsequential effect, of course, was that sooner or later a simple, thoughtless phrase would release the fury that terror had suppressed. But the guard on duty did not think that way, and fearing a major blow-up, threatened to lock Beatriz and Maruja into separate rooms.

    They were dismayed. The dread of sexual assault was still very much alive. Certain that being together made it difficult for the guards to attempt a rape, they were alarmed by the thought of being separated. On the other hand, the guards, who were always in pairs, did not get along and seemed to keep a cautious eye on one another as a way of maintaining internal discipline and avoiding serious incidents with the hostages.

    But the repression of the guards created an unhealthy atmosphere in the room. Those on duty in December had brought in a VCR and watched violent films with strong erotic elements, and some pornographic movies. At times the room became saturated with unbearable tension. Furthermore, when the prisoners went to the bathroom, they had to leave the door partially opened, and on more than one occasion they had caught a guard watching them. One of the guards, who insisted on holding the door with his hand so it would not close all the way while the women were using the bathroom, almost lost his fingers when Beatriz slammed it shut. Another unsettling sight was a pair of homosexual guards who worked the second shift and kept each other in a perpetual state of arousal with all kinds of perverse games. Spots’s excessive vigilance at Beatriz’s slightest gesture, his gift of aftershave, and the major-domo’s insolent remark were all unsettling.

    The stories the guards told each other about their rapes of strangers, their erotic perversions, their sadistic pleasures, rarefied the atmosphere even further.

    At the request of Maruja and Marina, the major-domo had a doctor come to see Beatriz on January 12, sometime before midnight. He was a young, well-dressed man with beautiful manners, wearing a yellow silk mask that complemented his outfit. It is difficult to believe in the seriousness of a hooded physician, but this one demonstrated his skill as soon as he came in. His self-assurance was comforting. He carried a fine leather bag as big as a suitcase, with a phonendoscope, a tensiometer, a battery-operated electrocardiograph, a laboratory kit for home-analysis, and other emergency equipment.

    He gave each hostage a thorough examination, and analyzed their blood and urine in the portable laboratory.

    As he was examining Maruja, the doctor whispered in her ear: “I am the most embarrassed person in the world at having to see you in this situation. I want to tell you that I am not here voluntarily. I was a great friend and supporter of Dr. Luis Carlos Galán, and I voted for him. You don’t deserve to suffer like this, but try to endure.

    Serenity is good for your health.” Maruja appreciated his explanations but could not overcome her astonishment at his moral flexibility. He made identical comments to Beatriz.

    The diagnosis for both women was severe stress and incipient malnutrition, for which he ordered an enriched, more balanced diet. He discovered circulatory problems and a serious bladder infection in Maruja, and prescribed a course of treatment based on Vasotón, diuretics, and tranquilizers. He prescribed a sedative for Beatriz’s gastric ulcer.

    As for Marina—whom he had seen before—he only advised that she take better care of her health but did not find her very receptive. He ordered all three to walk at a brisk pace for at least an hour every day.

    After this, each woman was given a box with twenty tranquilizers. They were to take one pill in the morning, another at noon, and the third before they went to sleep. In an emergency they could exchange the tranquilizer for a powerful barbiturate that allowed them to escape many of the horrors of their captivity. Just a quarter of a pill was enough to make them lose consciousness before the count of four.

    At one o’clock that morning, they began their walks in the dark courtyard with the nervous guards, who kept their sub-machine guns, safeties off, trained on them. The women felt dizzy their first time out, in particular Maruja, who had to lean against the walls to keep from falling. With the help of the guards, and sometimes Damaris, they grew accustomed to the exercise. At the end of two weeks, Maruja was able to circle the yard up to a thousand times—two kilometers—at a quick pace. Their spirits rose, and this in turn improved domestic tranquility.

    The courtyard was the only part of the house they saw except for their room. They took their walks in the dark, but on moonlit nights they could make out a large laundry area half in ruins, clothes hung out to dry on lines, and a great jumble of broken packing cases and worn-out household articles. Above the canopy over the laundry, there was a second story with a sealed window, its streaked panes curtained by sheets of newspaper. The hostages thought it must be where the guards slept when they were not on duty. There was a door to the kitchen, another to the room where the prisoners were kept, and a gate made of old boards that did not reach all the way to the ground. It was the gate out to the world. Later they would learn that it led to a quiet pen where Easter lambs and a few hens were kept. It seemed very simple to open it and get away, but it was guarded by a German shepherd that looked incorruptible. Still, Maruja became his friend, and at a certain point he stopped barking when she came close to pet him.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 34

    El turno de relevo fue saludado por las rehenes con un suspiro de alivio, pues eran los mismos que las habían recibido la noche del secuestro, y ya sabían cómo tratarlos. Sobre todo Maruja, cuya salud la mantenía con el ánimo decaído. Al principio el terror se le convertía en dolores erráticos por todo el cuerpo que la obligaban a asumir posturas involuntarias. Pero más tarde se volvieron concretos por el régimen inhumano impuesto por los guardianes. A principios de diciembre le impidieron ir al baño un día entero como castigo por su rebeldía, y cuando se lo permitieron no le fue posible hacer nada. Ése fue el principio de una cistitis persistente y, más tarde, de una hemorragia que le duró hasta el final del cautiverio.

    Marina, que había aprendido con su esposo a hacer masajes de deportistas, se empeñó a restaurarla con sus fuerzas exiguas. Aún le sobraban los buenos ánimos del Año Nuevo.

    Seguía optimista, contaba anécdotas: vivía. La aparición de su nombre y su fotografía en una campaña de televisión en favor de los secuestrados le devolvió las esperanzas y la alegría. Se sintió otra vez la que era, que ya existía, que allí estaba. Apareció siempre en la primera etapa de la campaña, hasta un día en que no estuvo más sin explicaciones. Ni Maruja ni Beatriz tuvieron corazón para decirle que tal vez la borraron de la lista porque nadie creía que estuviera viva.

    Para Beatriz era importante el 31 de diciembre porque se lo había fijado como plazo máximo para ser libre. La desilusión la derrumbó hasta el punto de que sus compañeras de prisión no sabían qué hacer con ella. Llegó un momento en que Maruja no podía mirarla porque perdía el control, se echaba a llorar, y llegaron a ignorarse la una a la otra dentro de un espacio no mucho más grande que un cuarto de baño. La situación se hizo insostenible.

    La distracción más durable para las tres rehenes, durante las horas interminables después del baño, era darse masajes lentos en las piernas con la crema humectante que sus carceleros les suministraban en cantidades suficientes para que no enloquecieran. Un día Beatriz se dio cuenta de que estaba acabándose.

    -Y cuando la crema se acabe -le preguntó a Maruja-, ¿qué vamos a hacer?

    -Pues pediremos más -le respondió Maruja con un énfasis ácido. Y subrayó con más acidez aún-: O si no, ahí veremos. ¿Cierto?

    -¡No me conteste así! -le gritó Beatriz en una súbita explosión de rabia-. ¡A mí, que estoy aquí por culpa suya!

    Fue el estallido inevitable. En un instante dijo cuanto se había guardado en tantos días de tensiones reprimidas y noches de horror. Lo sorprendente era que no hubiera ocurrido antes y con mayor encono. Beatriz se mantenía al margen de todo, vivía frenada, y se tragaba los rencores sin saborearlos. Lo menos grave que podía suceder, por supuesto, era que una simple frase dicha al descuido le revolviera tarde o temprano la agresividad reprimida por el terror. Sin embargo, el guardián de turno no pensaba lo mismo, y ante el temor de una reyerta grande amenazó con encerrar a Beatriz y a Maruja en cuartos separados.

    Ambas se alarmaron, pues el temor de las agresiones sexuales se mantenía vivo. Estaban convencidas de que mientras estuvieran juntas era difícil que los guardianes intentaran una violación, y por eso la idea de que las separaran fue siempre la más temible. Por otra parte, los guardianes estaban siempre en parejas, no eran afines, y parecían vigilarse los unos a los otros como una precaución de orden interno para evitar incidentes graves con las rehenes.

    Pero la represión de los guardianes creaba un ambiente malsano en el cuarto. Los de turno en diciembre habían llevado un betamax en el que pasaban películas de violencia con una fuerte carga erótica, y de vez en cuando algunas pornográficas. El cuarto se saturaba por momentos de una tensión insoportable. Además, cuando las rehenes iban al baño debían dejar la puerta entreabierta, y en más de una ocasión sorprendieron al guardián atisbando.

    Uno de ellos, empecinado en sostener la puerta con la mano para que no se cerrara mientras ellas usaban el baño, estuvo a punto de perder los dedos cuando Beatriz -adrede- la cerró de un golpe. Otro espectáculo incómodo fue una pareja de guardianes homosexuales que llegó en el segundo turno, y se mantenían en un estado perpetuo de excitación con toda clase de retozos perversos. La vigilancia excesiva de Lamparón al mínimo gesto de Beatriz, el regalo del perfume, la impertinencia del mayordomo en la Nochebuena eran factores de perturbación. Los cuentos que se intercambiaban entre ellos sobre violaciones a desconocidas, sus perversiones eróticas, sus placeres sádicos, terminaban por enrarecer el ambiente.

    A petición de Maruja y Marina el mayordomo hizo venir a un médico para Beatriz, el 12 de enero, antes de la media noche. Era un hombre joven, bien vestido y mejor educado, y con una máscara de seda amarilla que hacía juego con su atuendo. Es difícil creer en la seriedad de un médico encapuchado, pero aquél demostró de entrada que conocía bien su oficio.

    Tenía una seguridad tranquilizante. Llevaba un estuche de cuero fino, grande como una maleta de viaje, con el fonendoscopio, el tensiómetro, un electrocardiógrafo de baterías, un laboratorio portátil para análisis a domicilio, y otros recursos para emergencias. Examinó a fondo a las tres rehenes, y les hizo análisis de orina y de sangre en el laboratorio portátil.

    Mientras la examinaba, el médico le dijo en secreto a Maruja: «Me siento la persona más avergonzada del mundo por tener que verla a usted en esta situación. Quiero decirle que estoy aquí por la fuerza. Fui muy amigo y partidario del doctor Luis Carlos Galán, y voté por él. Usted no se merece este sufrimiento, pero trate de sobrellevarlo. La serenidad es buena para su salud». Maruja apreció sus explicaciones, pero no pudo superar el asombro por su elasticidad moral. A Beatriz le repitió el discurso exacto.

    El diagnóstico para ambas fue un estrés severo y un principio de desnutrición, para lo cual ordenó enriquecer y balancear la dieta. A Maruja le encontró problemas circulatorios y una infección vesical de cuidado, y le prescribió un tratamiento a base de Vasotón, diuréticos y pastillas calmantes. A Beatriz le recetó sedante para entretener la úlcera gástrica. A Marina -a quien ya había visto antes-, se limitó a darle consejos para que se preocupara más por su propia salud, pero no la encontró muy receptiva. A las tres les ordenó caminar a buen paso por lo menos una hora diaria.

    A partir de entonces a cada una les dieron una caja de veinte pastillas de un tranquilizante para tomar una por la mañana, otra al mediodía y otra antes de dormir. En caso extremo podían cambiarlo por un barbitúrico fulminante que les permitió escapar a muchos horrores del encierro. Bastaba un cuarto de pastilla para quedar sin sentido antes de contar hasta cuatro.

    Desde la una de aquella madrugada empezaron a caminar en el patio oscuro con los asustados guardianes que las mantenían bajo la mira de sus metralletas sin seguro. Se marearon a la primera vuelta, sobre todo Maruja, que debió sostenerse de las paredes para no caer. Con la ayuda de los guardianes, y a veces con Damaris, terminaron por acostumbrarse. Al cabo de dos semanas Maruja llegó a dar con paso rápido hasta mil vueltas contadas: dos kilómetros. El estado de ánimo de todas mejoró, y con él la concordia doméstica.

    El patio fue el único lugar de la casa que conocieron además del cuarto. Estaba en tinieblas mientras duraban los paseos, pero en las noches claras se alcanzaba a ver un lavadero grande y medio en ruinas, con ropa puesta a secar en alambres y un gran desorden de cajones rotos y trastos en desuso. Sobre la marquesina del lavadero había un segundo piso con una ventana clausurada y los vidrios polvorientos tapados con cortinas de periódicos.

    Las secuestradas pensaban que era allí donde dormían los guardianes que no estaban de turno. Había una puerta hacia la cocina, otra hacia el cuarto de las secuestradas, y un portón de tablas viejas que no llegaba hasta el suelo. Era el portón del mundo. Más tarde se darían cuenta de que daba a un potrero apacible donde pacían corderos pascuales y gallinas desperdigadas. Parecía muy fácil de abrirlo para evadirse, pero estaba guardado por un pastor alemán de aspecto insobornable. Sin embargo, Maruja se hizo amiga de él, hasta el punto de que no ladraba cuando se acercaba a acariciarlo.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb