News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 32

    They freed him on December 11, two weeks after Juan Vitta. For the occasion they bought him a pair of shoes that he could not use because he wore size 46 and the largest they could find, after much searching, was a 44. They bought him a shirt and trousers two sizes smaller because he had lost thirty-five pounds. They returned his camera equipment and the bag with his notebooks hidden in the lining, and they paid him back the fifty thousand pesos for the birth and another fifteen thousand he had lent them earlier to replace money that had been stolen from them at the market. They offered him a great deal more, but the only thing he asked them for was an interview with Pablo Escobar.

    They never replied.

    The crew that had been with him in recent days drove him away in a private car. After taking a circuitous route through the best neighborhoods in Medellín, they dropped him half a block from the newspaper El Colombiano, with his bags on his back and a message from the Extraditables; it recognized his struggle in defense of human rights in Colombia and other Latin American countries, and reiterated the determination of the Extraditables to accept the capitulation policy with no conditions other than judicial guarantees of safety for themselves and their families. A journalist to the end, Hero Buss handed his camera to the first passerby and asked him to take a picture of his release.

    DIANA AND AZUCENA heard the news on the radio, and their guards said they would be next. But they had been told the same thing so often, they did not believe it. In the event only one was freed, each woman wrote a letter for the other to give to her family. And then nothing happened, nothing else was said, until two days later—at dawn on December 13—when Diana was awakened by whispers and unusual movements in the house. The feeling that they would be released made her jump out of bed. She alerted Azucena, and before anyone announced anything to them they began to pack.

    Both Diana and Azucena recounted that dramatic moment in their journals. Diana was in the shower when one of the guards, without any ceremony, told Azucena to get ready to go. Only Azucena! In the book she would publish a short while later, she narrated this with admirable simplicity:

    I went to the room and put on the clothes I had laid out on the chair while Doña Diana was still in the bathroom. When she came out and saw me she stopped, looked at me, and said:

    “Are we going, Azu?”

    Her eyes shone, waiting for the answer she longed to hear. And I could not tell her anything. I lowered my head, took a deep breath, and said:

    “No. I’m going alone.”

    “I’m so happy for you,” Diana said. “I knew it would be this way.”

    In her diary, Diana wrote: “I felt as if I had been stabbed in the heart, but I said I was happy for her, and not to worry.” She gave Azucena the letter to Nydia she had written earlier, in the event she was not released. In the letter she asked Nydia to celebrate Christmas with Diana’s children. Azucena was crying, and Diana put her arms around her to comfort her. Then she walked with Azucena to the car, and they embraced again.

    Azucena turned to watch her through the car window, and Diana waved goodbye.

    An hour later, in the car that was taking her to the Medellín airport where she would catch a plane to Bogotá, Azucena heard a reporter on the radio asking her husband what he had been doing when he heard the news of her release. He replied with the truth:

    “I was writing a poem for Azucena.”

    And so their wish was granted, and they were together on December 16 to celebrate their fourth wedding anniversary.

    RICARDO AND ORLANDO, tired of sleeping on the floor of their foul-smelling cell, persuaded the guards to put them in another room. They moved the hostages to the bedroom where they had seen the handcuffed mulatto, whom they never saw again. To their horror, they discovered that the mattress on the bed had large, recent bloodstains that might have come either from slow tortures or sudden slashes with a knife.

    They had learned of the release of other hostages on television and radio. Their guards had said they would be next. Very early on December 17 a boss they knew as the Old Man—and who in fact was the same don Pacho in charge of Diana—walked into Orlando’s room without knocking.

    “Put on some clothes because you’re leaving now,” he said.

    He barely had time to shave and dress, and no time to tell Richard, who was in the same house. They gave him a communiqué for the press, put a pair of strong glasses over his eyes, and the Old Man, on his own, drove him with the ritual twists and turns through various neighborhoods in Medellín, gave him five thousand pesos for a cab, and left him at a traffic circle he could not identify because he does not know the city. It was nine in the morning on a cool, clear Monday. Orlando could not believe it: Until that moment, while he signaled in vain for cabs that were all occupied, he had been sure it would be cheaper for his captors to kill him than run the risk of freeing him while he was alive. He called his wife from the first telephone he saw.

    Liliana was bathing the baby, and ran to answer the phone with soapy hands. She heard a stranger’s calm voice:

    “Slim, it’s me.”

    She thought it was a joke and was about to hang up when she recognized his voice. “Oh my God,” she cried. Orlando was in such a hurry he only managed to tell her he was still in Medellín and would be in Bogotá that afternoon. Liliana was tormented the rest of the day because she had not recognized her husband’s voice. Juan Vitta had told her when he was released that Orlando had changed so much in captivity that it was hard to recognize him, but she never thought the change would affect even his voice. That afternoon at the airport it was even worse when she made her way through the crowd of reporters and did not recognize the man who kissed her. But it was Orlando after four months of captivity, fat and pale, with a dark, rough mustache. Each of them had decided on their own to have a second child as soon as they were together again. “But there were so many people around we couldn’t that night,” Liliana has said, weak with laughter. “Or the next day either, because of the shock.” But at last they made up for lost time: Nine months after the third day they had another boy, and twins, the following year.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 32

    Lo liberaron el 11 de diciembre, quince días después de Juan Vitta. Le habían comprado para la ocasión un par de zapatos que no le sirvieron porque él calzaba del número cuarenta y seis y el más grande que encontraron después de mucho buscar era del número cuarenta y cuatro. Le compraron un pantalón y una camiseta de dos tallas menos porque había bajado dieciséis kilos. Le devolvieron el equipo de fotografía y el maletín con sus libretas de apuntes escondidas en el forro, y le pagaron los cincuenta mil pesos del parto y otros quince mil que les había prestado antes para reponer la plata que se robaban del mercado. Le ofrecieron mucho más, pero lo único que él les pidió fue que le consiguieran una entrevista con Pablo Escobar. Nunca le contestaron.

    La pandilla que lo acompañó en los últimos días lo sacó de la casa en un automóvil particular, y al cabo de muchas vueltas para despistar por los mejores barrios de Medellín lo dejaron con su equipaje a cuestas a media cuadra del periódico El Colombíano, con un comunicado en el cual los Extradítables hacían un reconocimiento a su lucha por la defensa de los derechos humanos en Colombia y en varios países de América Latina, y reiteraban la determinación de acogerse a la política de sometimiento sin más condiciones que las garantías judiciales de seguridad para ellos y sus familias – Periodista hasta el final, Hero Buss le dio su cámara al primer peatón que pasó y le pidió que le hiciera la foto de la liberación.

    Diana y Azucena se enteraron por la radio, y sus guardianes les dijeron que serían las próximas. Pero se lo habían dicho tanto que ya no lo creían. En previsión de que fuera liberada sólo una, cada una escribió una carta para sus familias para mandarla con la que saliera. Nada ocurrió para ellas desde entonces, nada volvieron a saber hasta dos días después -al amanecer del 13 de diciembre cuando Diana fue despertada por susurros y movimientos raros en la casa. El pálpito de que iban a liberarlas la hizo saltar de la cama.

    Alertó a Azucena, y antes de que nadie les anunciara nada empezaron a preparar el equipaje.

    Tanto Diana en su diario, como Azucena en el suyo, contaron aquel instante dramático.

    Diana estaba en la ducha cuando uno de los guardianes le anunció a Azucena sin ninguna ceremonia que se alistara para irse. Sólo ella. En el libro que publicaría poco después, Azucena lo relató con una sencillez admirable.

    «Me fui al cuarto y me puse la muda de regreso que tenía lista en la silla mientras Doña Diana continuaba en el baño. Cuando salió y me vio, se paró, me miró, y me dijo:

    -¿Nos vamos, Azu?

    »Los ojos le brillaban y esperaban una respuesta ansiosa. Yo no podía decirle nada. Agaché la cabeza, respiré profundo y dije:

    -No. Me voy yo sola.

    -Cuánto me alegro -dijo Diana-. Yo sabía que iba a ser así.»

    Diana anotó en su diario: «Sentí una punzada en el corazón, pero le dije que me alegraba por ella, que se fuera tranquila». Le entregó a Azucena la carta para Nydia que había escrito a tiempo para el caso de que no la liberaran a ella. En esa carta le pedía que celebrara la Navidad con sus hijos. Como Azucena lloraba, la abrazó para sosegarla. Luego la acompañó hasta el automóvil y allí se abrazaron otra vez. Azucena se volvió a mirarla a través del cristal, y Diana le dijo adiós con la mano.

    Una hora después, en el automóvil que la llevaba al aeropuerto de Medellín para volar a Bogotá, Azucena oyó que un periodista de radio le preguntaba a su esposo qué estaba haciendo cuando conoció la noticia de la liberación. Él contestó la verdad:

    -Estaba escribiendo un poema para Azucena.

    Así se les cumplió a ambos el sueño de estar juntos el 16 de diciembre para celebrar sus cuatro años de casados.

    Richard y Orlando, por su parte, cansados de dormir por los suelos en el calabozo pestilente, convencieron a sus guardianes de que los cambiaran de cuarto. Los pasaron al dormitorio donde habían tenido al mulato esposado, del cual no habían vuelto a tener noticias. Descubrieron con espanto que el colchón de la cama tenía grandes manchas de sangre reciente que bien podían ser de torturas lentas o de puñaladas súbitas.

    Por la televisión y la radio se habían enterado de las liberaciones. Sus guardianes les habían dicho que los próximos serían ellos. El 17 de diciembre, muy temprano, un jefe al que conocían como el Viejo -y que resultó ser el mismo don Pacho encargado de Diana- entró sin tocar en el cuarto de Orlando.

    -Póngase decente porque ya se va -le dijo.

    Apenas pudo afeitarse y vestirse, y no tuvo tiempo de avisarle a Richard en la misma casa.

    Le dieron un comunicado para la prensa, le pusieron unas gafas de alta graduación, y el Viejo, solo, le dio las vueltas rituales por distintos barrios de Medellín y lo dejó con cinco mil pesos para el taxi en una glorieta que no identificó, porque conocía muy mal la ciudad.

    Eran las nueve de la mañana de un lunes fresco y diáfano. Orlando no podía creerlo: hasta ese momento -mientras hacía señales inútiles a las taxis ocupados- estuvo convencido de que a sus secuestradores les resultaba más barato matarlo que correr el riesgo de soltarlo vivo. Desde el primer teléfono que encontró llamó a su esposa.

    Liliana estaba bañando al niño y corrió a contestar con las manos enjabonadas. Oyó una voz extraña y tranquila:

    -Flaca, soy yo.

    Ella pensó que alguien quería tomarle el pelo y estaba a punto de colgar cuando reconoció la voz. «¡Ay, Dios mío! », gritó. Orlando tenía tanta prisa, que sólo alcanzó a decirle que todavía estaba en Medellín y que llegaría esa tarde. Liliana no tuvo un instante de sosiego el resto del día por la preocupación de no haber reconocido la voz del esposo. Juan Vitta le había dicho cuando lo liberaron que Orlando estaba tan cambiado por el cautiverio que costaba trabajo reconocerlo, pero nunca pensó que el cambio fuera hasta en la voz. Su impresión fue más grande aún esa tarde en el aeropuerto, cuando se abrió camino a través del tropel de los periodistas y no reconoció al hombre que la besó. Pero era Orlando al cabo de cuatro meses de cautiverio, gordo, pálido y con un bigote retinto y áspero. Ambos por separado habían decidido tener el segundo hijo tan pronto como se encontraran. «Pero había tanta gente alrededor que no pudimos ese día », ha dicho Liliana muerta de risa. «Ni el otro día tampoco por el susto.» Pero recuperaron bien las horas perdidas: nueve meses después del tercer día tuvieron otro varón, y el año siguiente un par de gemelos.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb