News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 30

    Chapter 5

    A MONTH AFTER the abduction of Maruja and Beatriz, the absurd rules of their captivity had been relaxed. They no longer had to ask permission to stand, and they could pour their own coffee or change television channels. Inside the room they still spoke in whispers, but their movements had become more spontaneous. Maruja did not have to bury her face in the pillow when she coughed, though she did take minimal precautions not to be heard outside the room. Lunch and dinner were still the same, the same beans, the same lentils, the same bits of dry meat and ordinary packaged soup.

    The guards talked a good deal among themselves, taking no precaution except to speak in whispers. They exchanged blood-soaked news about how much they had earned hunting down the police at night in Medellín, about their sexual prowess and their melodramatic love affairs. Maruja had succeeded in convincing them that in the case of an armed rescue attempt, it would be more realistic to protect the captives so that they at least would be sure of receiving decent treatment and a compassionate trial. At first they seemed indifferent, for they were absolute fatalists, but her strategy of mollification meant they no longer pointed their guns at the prisoners while they slept, and their weapons, wrapped in cloths, were kept out of sight behind the television. Little by little, their mutual dependence and shared suffering brought a thin veneer of humanity to their relations.

    It was in Maruja’s nature not to keep bitter feelings to herself. She gave vent to her emotions with the guards, who were always ready for violence, and faced them down with a chilling determination: “Go on, kill me.” Sometimes she turned on Marina, whose eagerness to please the guards infuriated her, and whose apocalyptic fantasies drove her to distraction. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, Marina would look up and make a disheartening remark or sinister prophecy.

    “On the other side of that courtyard is a repair shop for the killers’ cars,” she once said.

    “They’re all there, day and night, armed with rifles, ready to come and shoot us.”

    Their most serious quarrel, however, occurred one afternoon when Marina began her habitual cursing of journalists because her name had not been mentioned on a television program about the hostages.

    “They’re all sons of bitches,” she said.

    Maruja confronted her.

    “You’re out of line,” she replied in a rage. “You can show a little respect.”

    Marina did not answer and later, in a calmer moment, apologized. In reality, she lived in a world apart. She was sixty-four years old and had been a famous beauty, with wonderful large black eyes and silver hair that still gleamed even in misfortune. She had become nothing but skin and bones. When Beatriz and Maruja arrived, she had spent almost two months with no one to talk to but her guards, and time and effort were needed for her to assimilate their presence. Fear had wreaked havoc on her: She had lost forty-five pounds, and her morale was very low. She was a phantom.


    When she was very young, she had married a chiropractor who was well respected in the athletic world, a stout, good-hearted man who loved her without reservation and with whom she had four daughters and three sons. She managed everything, in her own house and in several others, for she felt obliged to solve the problems of her large family in Antioquia. Marina was like a second mother to them all, as much for her authority as her solicitude, but she also concerned herself with any outsider who touched her heart.

    Because of her indomitable independence rather than any financial need, she sold cars and life insurance, and seemed able to sell anything simply because she wanted to spend her own money. But those closest to her lamented the fact that a woman with so many natural talents was also hounded by misfortune. For almost twenty years her husband had been incapacitated by mental illness, two brothers had been killed in a terrible car accident, one died of a heart attack, another was crushed by a traffic light in a freak mishap, and still another, who loved to wander, had disappeared forever.

    Her situation as a hostage had no solution. Even she accepted the widespread idea that she had been abducted only because her captors wanted a significant hostage whom they could kill without thwarting the negotiations for their surrender. But the fact that she had spent sixty days in prison may have allowed her to think that they saw a chance to obtain some advantage in exchange for her life.

    It was noteworthy that even at her worst moments she spent long hours absorbed in the meticulous care of her fingernails and toenails. She filed and buffed them, and brightened them with natural polish, so that they looked like the nails of a younger woman. She devoted the same attention to tweezing her eyebrows and shaving her legs. Once they were past their initial problems, Maruja and Beatriz helped her. They learned to deal with her. She held interminable conversations with Beatriz about people she loved and people she hated, speaking in an endless whisper that irritated even the guards. Maruja tried to comfort her. Both felt distress at being the only people, apart from her jailers, who knew she was alive, yet could not let anyone else know.

    One of the few diversions during this time was the unexpected return of the masked boss who had visited them on the first day. Cheerful and optimistic, he brought the news that they might be released before December 9, the date of the election for the Constituent Assembly. This had special significance for Maruja because December 9 was her birthday, and the thought of spending it with her family filled her with anticipatory joy.

    But it was an ephemeral hope: A week later, the same boss said that not only would they not be released on December 9, but their captivity would be a long one and they would not be free by Christmas or the New Year. It was a harsh blow. Maruja suffered the onset of phlebitis that caused severe pains in her legs. Beatriz had an attack of asphyxia, and her gastric ulcer began to bleed. One night, maddened by pain, she pleaded with Spots to make an exception to the prison rules and let her have an unscheduled visit to the bathroom. He agreed, after thinking it over for a long time, and told her he was taking a great risk. But it did not help. Beatriz continued to whimper in pain like a wounded dog, and thought she was dying until Spots took pity on her and got some Buscapina from the major-domo.

    In spite of their efforts, the hostages had no reliable clues as to where they were. The guards’ fear that neighbors might hear them and the sounds and voices coming from outside, led them to think they were in the city. A confirmation seemed to be the deranged rooster that crowed at any hour of the day or night, since roosters kept on high floors tend to lose their sense of time. Nearby they often heard different voices calling the same name: Rafael. Small, low-flying planes passed overhead, and when the helicopter arrived it sounded as if it were right on top of the house. Marina insisted on the unproven theory that a high-ranking army officer was supervising their imprisonment. For Maruja and Beatriz it was just another fantasy, but whenever they heard the helicopter, strict military rules were re-imposed: The house as orderly as a barracks, the door latched on the inside and padlocked on the outside, conversation in whispers, weapons always at the ready, and a slight improvement in the vile food.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 30

    Capítulo 5

    Un mes después del secuestro de Maruja y Beatriz se había resquebrajado el régimen absurdo del cautiverio. Ya no pedían permiso para levantarse, y cada quien se servía su café o cambiaba los canales de televisión. Lo que se hablaba dentro del cuarto seguía siendo en susurros pero los movimientos se habían vuelto más espontáneos. Maruja no tenía que sofocarse con la almohada para toser, aunque tomaba las precauciones mínimas para que no la oyeran desde fuera. El almuerzo y la comida seguían iguales, con los mismos frijoles, las mismas lentejas, las mismas piltrafas de carne reseca y una sopa de paquete ordinario.

    Los guardianes hablaban mucho entre ellos sin más precauciones que los susurros. Se intercambiaban noticias sangrientas, de cuánto habían ganado por cazar policías en las noches de Medellín, de sus proezas de machos y sus dramas de amor. Maruja había logrado convencerlos de que en el caso de un rescate armado era más realista que las protegieran para asegurarse al menos un tratamiento digno y un juicio compasivo. Al principio parecían indiferentes, pues eran fatalistas irredimibles, pero la táctica de ablandamiento logró que no mantuvieran encañonadas a sus cautivas mientras dormían, y que escondieran las armas envueltas en una bayetilla detrás del televisor. Esa dependencia recíproca, y el sufrimiento común, terminaron por imponer a las relaciones algunos visos de humanidad.

    Maruja, por su temperamento, no se guardaba nada que pudiera amargarla. Se desahogaba con los guardianes, que estaban hechos para pelear, y los encaraba con una determinación escalofriante: «Mátame». Algunas veces se desahogó con Marina, cuyas complacencias con los guardianes la indignaban y cuyas fantasías apocalípticas la sacaban de quicio. A veces levantaba la vista, sin motivo alguno, y hacía un comentario desmoralizador o un vaticinio siniestro.

    -Detrás de ese patio hay un taller para los automóviles de los sicarios -dijo alguna vez-. Allí están todos, de día y de noche, armados de escopetas, listos para venir a matarnos.

    El tropiezo más grave, sin embargo, ocurrió una tarde en que Marina soltó sus improperios habituales contra los periodistas, porque no la mencionaron en un programa de televisión sobre los secuestrados.

    -Todos son unos hijos de puta -dijo.

    Maruja se le enfrentó.

    -Eso sí que no -le replicó, enfurecida-. Respete.

    Marina no replicó y más tarde, en un instante de sosiego, le pidió perdón. En realidad, estaba en un  mundo aparte. Tenía unos sesenta y cuatro años, y había sido de una belleza notable, con unos hermosos ojos negros y grandes, y una cabellera plateada que conservaba su brillo aun en la desgracia. Estaba en los huesos. Cuando llegaron Beatriz y Maruja tenía casi dos meses de no hablar con nadie distinto de sus guardianes, y necesitó tiempo y trabajo para asimilarlas. El miedo había hecho estragos en ella: había perdido veinte kilos y su moral estaba por los suelos. Era un fantasma.

    Se había casado muy joven con un quiropráctico muy bien calificado en el mundo deportivo, corpulento y de gran corazón, que la amó sin reservas y con el cual tuvo cuatro hijas y tres hijos. Era ella quien llevaba las riendas de todo, en su casa y en algunas ajenas, pues se sentía obligada a ocuparse de los problemas de una numerosa familia antioqueña.

    Era como una segunda madre de todos, tanto por su autoridad como por sus desvelos, pero además se ocupaba de cualquier extraño que le tocara el corazón.

    Más por su independencia indomable que por necesidad, vendía automóviles y seguros de vida, y parecía capaz de vender todo lo que quisiera, sólo porque quería tener su plata para gastársela. Sin embargo, quienes la conocieron de cerca se dolían de que una mujer con tantas virtudes naturales estuviera al mismo tiempo bajo el sino de la desgracia. Su esposo se vio incapacitado durante casi veinte años por tratamientos siquiátricos, dos hermanos habían muerto en un terrible accidente de tránsito, otro fue fulminado por un infarto, otro aplastado por el poste de un semáforo en un confuso accidente callejero, y otro con vocación de andariego desapareció para siempre.

    Su situación de secuestrada era insoluble. Ella misma compartía la idea generalizada de que sólo la habían secuestrado para tener un rehén de peso al que pudieran asesinar sin frustrar las negociaciones de la entrega. Pero el hecho de que llevara sesenta días en capilla tal vez le permitía pensar que sus verdugos vislumbraban la posibilidad de obtener algún beneficio a cambio de su vida.

    Llamaba la atención, sin embargo, que aun en sus peores momentos pasaba largas horas ensimismada en el cuidado meticuloso de las uñas de sus manos y sus pies. Las limaba, las pulía, las brillaba con esmalte de color natural, de modo que parecían ser de una mujer más joven. Igual atención ponía en depilarse las cejas y las piernas. Una vez superados los escollos iniciales, Maruja y Beatriz le ayudaban. Aprendieron a manejarla. Con Beatriz sostenía conversaciones interminables sobre gente bien y mal querida, en unos cuchicheos interminables que exasperaban hasta a los guardianes. Maruja trataba de consolarla. Ambas se dolían de ser las únicas que la sabían viva, aparte de sus carceleros, y no podían contárselo a nadie.

    Uno de los pocos alivios de esos días fue el regreso sorpresivo del jefe enmascarado que las había visitado el primer día. Volvió alegre y optimista, con la noticia de que podían ser liberadas antes del 9 de diciembre, fecha prevista para la elección de la Asamblea Constituyente. La noticia tuvo un significado muy especial para Maruja, pues en esa fecha era su cumpleaños, y la idea de pasarla en familia le infundió un júbilo prematuro. Pero fue una ilusión efímera: una semana después, el mismo jefe les dijo que no sólo no serían liberadas el 9 de diciembre, sino que el secuestro iba para largo: ni en Navidad ni en Año Nuevo. Fue un golpe rudo para ambas. Maruja sufrió un principio de flebitis que le causaba fuertes dolores en las piernas. Beatriz tuvo una crisis de asfixia y le sangró la úlcera gástrica. Una noche, enloquecida por el dolor, le suplicó a Lamparón que hiciera una excepción en las reglas del cautiverio y le permitiera ir al baño a esa hora. Él la autorizó después de mucho pensarlo, con la advertencia de que corría un riesgo grave. Pero fue inútil. Beatriz prosiguió con un llantito de perro herido, sintiéndose morir, hasta que Lamparón se apiadó de ella y le consiguió con el mayordomo una dosis de Buscapina.

    A pesar de los esfuerzos que habían hecho hasta entonces, los rehenes no tenían indicios confiables de dónde se encontraban. Por el temor de los guardianes a que los oyeran los vecinos, y por los ruidos y voces que llegaban del exterior, pensaban que era un sector urbano. El gallo loco que cantaba a cualquier hora del día o de la noche podía ser una confirmación, porque los gallos encerrados en pisos altos suelen perder el sentido del tiempo. Con frecuencia oían distintas voces que gritaban muy cerca un mismo nombre:

    «Rafael». Los aviones de corto vuelo pasaban rasantes y el helicóptero seguía llegando tan cerca que lo sentían encima de la casa. Marina insistía en la versión nunca probada del alto oficial del ejército que vigilaba la marcha del secuestro. Para Maruja y Beatriz era una fantasía más, pero cada vez que llegaba el helicóptero las normas militares del cautiverio recuperaban su rigor: la casa en orden como un cuartel, la puerta cerrada por dentro con falleba y por fuera con candado; los susurros, las armas siempre listas, y la comida un poco menos infame.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb