News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 24

    The voice sounded so proprietary that Aldo wondered if it was Pablo Escobar himself, and he said he had. Two young men who dressed and behaved like executives came to the room. Aldo gave them the letter. They shook his hand with well-bred bows and left.

    In less than a week, Turbay and Santos were visited by Guido Parra Montoya, an Antioquian lawyer, who had another letter from the Extraditables. Parra was not unknown to political circles in Bogotá, but he always seemed to live in the shadows. He was forty-eight years old, had served twice in the Chamber of Deputies as a replacement for two Liberal representatives, and once as a principal for the National Popular Alliance (ANAPO), which gave rise to the M-19. He had been an adviser to the judicial office of the presidency in the government of Carlos Lleras Restrepo. In Medellín, where he had practiced law since his youth, he was arrested on May 10, 1990, on suspicion of abetting terrorism, and released two weeks later because the case lacked merit. Despite these and other lapses, he was considered an expert lawyer and a good negotiator.

    However, as a confidential representative of the Extraditables, it was hard to imagine anyone less likely to be self-effacing. He was one of those men who take ceremony seriously. He wore silver-gray suits, which were the executive uniform of the time, with bright-colored shirts and youthful ties with wide Italian-style knots. His manners were punctilious, his rhetoric high-flown, and he was more obsequious than affable—suicidal circumstances if one wishes to serve two masters at the same time. In the presence of a former Liberal president and the publisher of the most important newspaper in the country, his eloquence knew no bounds. “My illustrious Dr. Turbay, my distinguished Dr. Santos, I am completely at your service,” he said, and then made the kind of slip that can cost a man his life:

    “I am Pablo Escobar’s attorney.”

    Hernando caught the error in mid-flight.

    “Then the letter you’ve brought is from him?”

    “No,” Guido Parra corrected the mistake without batting an eye, “it is from the Extraditables, but you should direct your response to Escobar because he will be able to influence the negotiation.”

    The distinction was important, because Escobar left no clues for the police.

    Compromising letters, such as those dealing with the abductions, were printed in block letters and signed by the Extraditables or a simple first name: Manuel, Gabriel, and Antonio.

    When he played the part of accuser, however, he wrote in his own, rather childish hand, and not only signed the letters with his name and rubric but drove the point home with his thumbprint. At the time the journalists were abducted, it would have been reasonable to doubt his very existence. The Extraditables may have been no more than his pseudonym, but the opposite was also possible: Perhaps Pablo Escobar’s identity was nothing more than a front for the Extraditables.

    Guido Parra always seemed prepared to go beyond what the Extraditables stated in writing. But everything had to be examined with a magnifying glass. What he really wanted for his clients was the kind of political treatment the guerrillas had received. He brought up the question of internationalizing the narcotics problem by proposing the participation of the United Nations. Yet in the face of Santos’s and Turbay’s categorical refusal, he was ready with a variety of alternative suggestions. This was the beginning of a long, fruitless process that would go in circles until it reached a dead end.

    After the second letter, Santos and Turbay communicated in person with the president. Gaviria saw them at eight-thirty in the evening in the small room off his private library. He was calmer than usual, and anxious to have news about the hostages. Turbay and Santos brought him up-to-date regarding the two exchanges of letters and the mediation of Guido Parra.

    “A bad emissary,” said the president. “Very smart, a good lawyer, but extremely dangerous. Of course, he does have Escobar’s complete backing.”

    He read the letters with the power of concentration that always impressed everyone: as if he had become invisible. His complete comments were ready when he finished, and his conjectures on the subject were laconic. He said that none of the intelligence agencies had the slightest idea where the hostages were being held. The important news for the president was confirmation that they were in the hands of Pablo Escobar.

    That night Gaviria demonstrated his skill at questioning everything before reaching a final decision. He thought it possible that the letters were not genuine, that Guido Parra was working for somebody else, even that it was all a clever ploy by someone who had nothing to do with Escobar. Santos and Turbay left more discouraged than when they came in, for the president seemed to view the case as a serious problem of state that left very little room for his own feelings.

    A major obstacle to an agreement was that Escobar continued to change the terms as his own situation evolved, delaying the release of the hostages in order to obtain additional, unforeseen advantages while waiting for the Constituent Assembly to pass judgment on extradition, and perhaps on a pardon. This was never made clear in the astute correspondence that Escobar maintained with the families of the hostages. But it was very clear in the secret correspondence he maintained with Guido Parra to instruct him in strategy and the long-term view of the negotiation. “It’s a good idea for you to convey all concerns to Santos so we don’t get further entangled in this,” he said in one letter.

    “Because it must be in writing, in a decree, that under no circumstances, will we be extradited, not for any crime, not to any country.” He also asked for specific details regarding the confession required for surrender. Two other essential points were security at the special prison, and protection for families and followers.

    HERNANDO SANTOS’S friendship with former President Turbay, which had always had its foundation in politics, now became personal and very close. They could spend hours sitting across from each other in absolute silence. Not a day went by that they did not speak on the phone, exchanging their intimate thoughts, secret assumptions, and new information. They even devised a code for handling confidential matters.

    It could not have been easy. Hernando Santos is a man with extraordinary responsibilities: With a single word he could save or destroy a life. He is emotional and raw-nerved, and has a tribal sense of family that weighs heavily in his decisions. Those who accompanied him during his son’s captivity were afraid he would not survive the blow. He did not eat, or sleep through the night; he always kept a telephone within reach and grabbed at it on the first ring. During those months of grief, he socialized very little, received psychiatric counseling to help him endure his son’s death, which he viewed as inevitable, and lived in seclusion, in his office or rooms, looking at his brilliant collection of stamps, and letters scorched in airplane accidents. Elena Calderón, his wife and the mother of his seven children, had died seven years earlier, and he was truly alone. His heart and vision problems grew worse, and he made no effort to hold back his tears. His exemplary virtue in these dramatic circumstances was keeping the newspaper separate from his personal tragedy.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 24

    La voz sonaba con tanta propiedad, que Aldo se preguntó si no sería Pablo Escobar en vivo y en directo, y le dijo que sí. Dos jóvenes con atuendos y modales de ejecutivos subieron al cuarto. Aldo les entregó la carta. Ellos le estrecharon la mano con una venia de cortesía, y se fueron.

    Antes de una semana Turbay y Santos recibieron la visita del abogado antioqueño Guido Parra Montoya, con una nueva carta de los Extraditables. Parra no era un desconocido en los medios políticos de Bogotá, pero siempre parecía venir de las sombras. Tenía cuarenta y ocho años, había estado dos veces en la Cámara de Representantes como suplente de dos liberales, y una vez como principal por la Alianza Nacional Popular (ANAPO), que dio origen al M-1 9. Fue asesor de la oficina jurídica de la presidencia de la república en el gobierno de Carlos Lleras Restrepo. En Medellín, donde ejerció el derecho desde su juventud, fue arrestado el 10 de mayo de 1990 por sospechas de complicidad con el terrorismo, y liberado a las dos semanas por falta de méritos. A pesar de esos y otros tropiezos, se le consideraba como un jurista experto y buen negociador.

    Sin embargo, como enviado confidencial de los Extraditables parecía difícil concebir a alguien menos indicado para pasar inadvertido. Era un hombre de los que toman en serio las condecoraciones. Vestía de gris platinado, que era el uniforme de los ejecutivos de entonces, con camisas de colores vivos y corbatas juveniles con nudos grandes a la moda italiana. Tenía maneras ceremoniosas y una retórica altisonante, y era, más que afable, obsequioso. Condición suicida si se quiere servir al mismo tiempo a dos señores. En presencia de un ex presidente liberal y del director del periódico más importante del país se le desbordó la elocuencia. «Ilustre doctor Turbay, mi distinguido doctor Santos, dispongan de mí para lo que quieran», dijo, e incurrió en un descuido de los que podían costar la vida:

    -Soy el abogado de Pablo Escobar.

    Hernando agarró al vuelo el error.

    -¿Entonces la carta que nos trae es de él?

    -No -remendó Guido Parra sin pestañear-: es de los Extraditables, pero la respuesta de ustedes debe ser para Escobar porque él podrá influir en la negociación.

    La distinción era importante, porque Escobar no dejaba rastros- para la justicia. En las cartas que podían comprometerlo, como las de negociaciones de secuestros, la escritura estaba disfrazada con letras de molde, y firmadas por los Extraditables o cualquier nombre de pila: Manuel, Gabriel, Antonio. En las que se erigía en acusador, en cambio, usaba su caligrafía natural un tanto pueril, y no sólo firmaba con su nombre y su rúbrica, sino que los remachaba con la huella del pulgar. En el tiempo de los secuestros de periodistas hubiera sido razonable poner en duda su misma existencia. Era posible que los Extraditables no fueran más que un seudónimo suyo, pero también era posible lo contrario: tal vez el nombre y la identidad de Pablo Escobar no fueran sino una advocación de los Extraditables. Sus comunicados de estilo ejemplar y cautelas perfectas llegaron a parecerse tanto a la verdad que se confundían con ella.

    Guido Parra parecía siempre preparado para ir más allá de lo que los Extraditables proponían por escrito. Pero había que leerlo con lupa. Lo que en realidad buscaba para su clientela era un tratamiento político similar al de las guerrillas. Además planteaba de frente la internacionalización del problema de los narcóticos con la propuesta de apelar a la participación de las Naciones Unidas. Sin embargo, ante la negativa rotunda de Santos y Turbay, les propuso diversas fórmulas alternativas. Así se inició un proceso tan largo como estéril, que terminaría por enredarse en un callejón sin salida.

    Santos y Turbay hicieron contacto personal con el presidente de la república desde la segunda comunicación. Gaviria los recibió a las ocho y media de la noche en la salita de la biblioteca privada. Estaba más sereno que de costumbre, y con deseos de conocer noticias nuevas de los rehenes. Turbay y Santos lo pusieron al corriente de las dos cartas de ida y vuelta y de la mediación de Guido Parra.

    -Mal enviado -dijo el presidente-. Muy inteligente, buen abogado, pero sumamente peligroso. Eso sí, tiene todo el respaldo de Escobar.

    Leyó las cartas con la fuerza de concentración que impresionaba a todos: como si se hiciera invisible. Sus comentarios estaban listos y completos al terminar, y con las conjeturas pertinentes a las que no les sobraba una palabra. Les contó que ningún cuerpo de inteligencia tenía la menor idea de dónde podían tenerlos. Así que lo nuevo para el presidente fue la confirmación de que estaban en poder de Pablo Escobar.

    Gaviria dio aquella noche una prueba de su maestría para poner todo en duda antes de adoptar una determinación final. Creía en la posibilidad de que las cartas fueran falsas, de que Guido Parra estuviera haciendo un juego ajeno, e inclusive de que todo fuera una jugada de alguien que no tenía nada que ver con Escobar. Sus interlocutores salieron menos alentados que cuando entraron, pues, -al parecer, el presidente consideraba el caso como un grave problema de Estado con muy poco margen para sus sentimientos personales.

    Una dificultad principal para un acuerdo era que Escobar iba cambiando las condiciones según la evolución de sus problemas, para demorar los secuestros y obtener ventajas adicionales e imprevistas, mientras la Asamblea Constituyente se pronunciaba sobre la extradición, y tal vez sobre el indulto. Esto nunca estuvo claro en la correspondencia astuta que Escobar mantenía con las familias de los secuestrados. Pero sí lo estaba en la muy secreta que mantenía con Guido Parra para instruirlo sobre el movimiento estratégico y las perspectivas a largo plazo de la negociación. «Es bueno que tú le transmitas todas las inquietudes a Santos para que esto no se nos enrede más -le decía en una carta-. Esto debido a que tiene que quedar escrito y decretado que no se nos extraditará en ningún caso y por ningún delito y a ningún país. » También exigía precisiones en el requisito de la confesión para la entrega. Otros dos puntos primordiales eran la vigilancia en la cárcel especial, y la seguridad de sus familias y sus secuaces.

    La amistad de Hernando Santos con el ex presidente Turbay, que se había fundado siempre sobre una base política, se volvió entonces personal y entrañable. Podían permanecer muchas horas sentados el uno frente al otro en absoluto silencio. No pasaba un día sin que se intercambiaran por teléfono impresiones íntimas, suposiciones secretas, datos nuevos. Llegaron a elaborar todo un código cifrado para manejar noticias confidenciales.

    No debió ser fácil. Hernando Santos es un hombre de responsabilidades descomunales, que con una sola palabra podría salvar o destruir una vida. Es emocional, de nervios crispados, y con una conciencia tribal que pesa mucho en sus determinaciones. Quienes convivieron con él durante el secuestro de su hijo temieron que no sobreviviera a la aflicción. No comió ni durmió una noche completa, se mantuvo siempre con el teléfono al alcance de su mano y le saltaba encima al primer timbrazo. Durante aquellos meses de dolores tuvo muy pocos momentos sociales, se sometió a un programa de ayuda siquiátrica para resistir la muerte del hijo, que creía inevitable, y vivió recluido en su oficina o en sus habitaciones, entregado al repaso de su estupenda colección de estampillas de correos y de cartas chamuscadas en accidentes aéreos. Su esposa, Elena Calderón, madre de sus siete hijos, había muerto siete años antes, y estaba realmente solo. Se le agravaron los problemas del corazón y la vista, y no hacía ningún esfuerzo por reprimir el llanto. Su mérito ejemplar en circunstancias tan dramáticas, fue mantener el periódico al margen de su tragedia personal.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb