News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 18

    The large, comfortable house where Diana and Azucena were taken and held for most of their captivity seemed to be the private residence of a high-ranking boss. They ate at the family table, took part in private conversations, and listened to the latest CDs, Rocfo Durcal and Juan Manuel Serrat among them, according to Azucena’s notes. This was the house where Diana saw a television program filmed in her own apartment in Bogotá, which reminded her that she had hidden the keys to the armoire but could not recall if they were behind the cassettes or the television in the bedroom. She also realized she had forgotten to lock the safe in the rush to leave on her calamitous trip. “I hope nobody’s rummaging around in there,” she wrote in a letter to her mother. A few days later, on what seemed an ordinary television program, she received a reassuring reply.

    Life in the house did not seem affected by the presence of the hostages. There were visits from women they did not know who treated them as if they were family and gave them medals and pictures of miracle-working saints in the hope they would help them go free.

    There were visits from entire families with their children and dogs who scampered through all the rooms. The worst thing was the bad weather. The few times the sun shone they could not go outside to enjoy it because there were always men working. Or, perhaps, they were guards dressed as bricklayers. Diana and Azucena took pictures of each other in bed, and there was no sign yet of any physical change. In another taken of Diana three months later, she looked very thin and much older.

    On September 19, when she learned of the abductions of Marina Montoya and Francisco Santos, Diana understood—with no access to information from the outside—that her kidnapping was not an isolated act, as she thought at first, but a long-term political operation to force the terms for Escobar’s surrender. Don Pacho confirmed this: There was a select list of journalists and celebrities who would be abducted as necessary to further the interests of the abductors. It was then she decided to keep a diary, not so much to narrate her days as to record her states of mind and interpretations of events. She wrote down everything: anecdotes of her captivity, political analyses, and human observations, one-sided dialogues with her family or with God, the Virgin, and the Holy Infant. Several times she transcribed entire prayers—including the Our Father and Hail Mary—as an original, perhaps more profound way of saying prayers in writing.

    It is obvious that Diana was not thinking about a text for publication but of a political and personal journal that the dynamic of events transformed into a poignant conversation with herself. She wrote in her large, rounded hand, clear-looking but difficult to decipher, that completely filled the spaces between the lines in her copybook. At first she wrote in secret, in the middle of the night, but when the guards discovered what she was doing they gave her enough paper and pencils to keep her busy while they slept.

    She made the first entry on September 27, a week after the kidnapping of Marina and Pacho, and it read: “Since Wednesday the 19th, when the man in charge of this operation came here, so many things have happened that I can hardly catch my breath.” She asked herself why their abduction had not been acknowledged by those responsible, and her reply to herself was so that perhaps they could kill them with no public outcry in the event the hostages did not serve their ends. “That’s my understanding of it and it fills me with horror,” she wrote. She was more concerned with her companions’ condition than with her own, and was interested in news from any source that would allow her to draw conclusions about their situation. She had always been a practicing Catholic, like the rest of her family, her mother in particular, and as time passed her devotion would become more intense and profound until it reached mystical states. She prayed to God and the Virgin for everyone who had anything to do with her life, even Pablo Escobar. “He may have more need of your help,” she wrote to God in her diary. “May it be your will that he can see the good and avoid more grief, and I ask you to help him understand our situation.”

    THERE IS NO DOUBT that the most difficult thing for everyone was learning to live with the guards. The four assigned to Maruja and Beatriz, were young, uneducated, brutal, and volatile boys who worked in two guards for twelve-hour shifts, sitting on the floor, their submachine guns at the ready. All in T-shirts with advertisements printed on them, sneakers, and shorts they had cut themselves with shears. When the shift came in at six in the morning, one could sleep until nine while the other stood guard, but both would almost always fall asleep at the same time. Maruja and Beatriz thought that if a police assault team raided the house early in the morning, the guards would not have time to wake up.

    The boys’ common condition was absolute fatalism. They knew they were going to die young, they accepted it, and cared only about living for the moment. They made excuses to themselves for their reprehensible work: It meant helping the family, buying nice clothes, having motorcycles, and ensuring the happiness of their mothers, whom they adored above all else in the world and for whose sakes they were willing to die. They venerated the same Holy Infant and Lady of Mercy worshipped by their captives, and prayed to them every day with perverse devotion, for they implored their protection and forgiveness and made vows and sacrifices so that their crimes would be successful.

    Second only to the saints, they worshipped Rohypnol, a tranquilizer that allowed them to commit movie exploits in real life. “You mix it with beer and get high right away,” explained one guard. “Then somebody lends you a good knife and you steal a car and go for a ride. The fun is how scared they look when they hand you the keys.” They despised everything else: politicians, the government, the state, the law, the police, and all of society. Life, they said, was shit.

    At first it was impossible to tell them apart because the only thing the women could see was their masks, and all the guards looked the same. In other words, like only one guard.

    In time they learned that masks can hide faces but not character. This was how they individualized them. Each mask had a different identity, its own personality, an unmistakable voice. Even more: It had a heart. Without wanting to, they came to share the loneliness of confinement with them. They played cards and dominoes and helped each other solve crosswords and puzzles in old magazines.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 18

    La casa amplia y confortable adonde llevaron a Diana y Azucena para la mayor parte del cautiverio parecía ser la residencia privada de un jefe grande. Comían en la mesa familiar, participaban en conversaciones privadas, oían discos de moda. Entre ellos de Rocío Durcal y Juan Manuel Serrat, de acuerdo con las notas de Azucena. Fue en esa casa donde Diana vio un programa de televisión filmado en su apartamento de Bogotá, por el cual recordó que había dejado las llaves del ropero escondidas en alguna parte, pero no pudo precisar si fue detrás de las casetes de música o detrás del televisor de la alcoba. También cayó entonces en la cuenta de que había olvidado cerrar la caja fuerte por las prisas conque salió la última vez rumbo al viaje de la desgracia. «Ojalá que no haya metido nadie la nariz por ahí», escribió en una carta a su madre. A los pocos días, en un programa de televisión de apariencia casual, recibió una respuesta tranquilizadora.

    La vida familiar no parecía cambiada por los secuestrados. Llegaban señoras desconocidas que las trataban como parientes y les regalaban medallas y estampas de santos milagrosos para que los ayudaran a salir libres. Llegaban familias enteras con niños y perros que retozaban por los cuartos. Lo malo era la impiedad del clima. Las pocas veces que calentaba el sol no podían salir a tomarlo porque siempre había hombres trabajando. O, tal vez, guardianes disfrazados de albañiles. Diana y Azucena se tomaron fotos recíprocas, cada una en su cama, y no se les notaba todavía ningún cambio físico. En otra que le tomaron a Diana tres meses más tarde estaba demacrada y envejecida.

    El 19 de setiembre, cuando se enteró de los secuestros de Marina Montoya y Francisco Santos, Diana comprendió -sin los elementos de juicio que se tenían afuera- que el suyo no era un acto aislado, como lo pensó al principio, sino una operación política de enormes proyecciones hacia el futuro para presionar los términos de la entrega. Don Pacho se lo confirmó: había una lista selecta de periodistas y personalidades que serían secuestrados a medida que fuera necesario para los intereses de los secuestradores. Fue entonces cuando decidió llevar un diario, no tanto para narrar sus días como para consignar sus estados de ánimo y sus apreciaciones de los hechos. De todo: anécdotas del cautiverio, análisis políticos, observaciones humanas, diálogos sin respuesta con su familia o con Dios, la Virgen y el Divino Niño. Varias veces hizo transcripciones completas de oraciones –entre ellas el Padre Nuestro y el Avemaría como una forma original y tal vez más profunda de rezar por escrito.

    Es evidente que Diana no pensaba en un texto para publicar sino en un memorando político y humano que la dinámica misma de los hechos convirtió en una desgarradora conversación consigo misma. Lo escribió con su caligrafía redonda y grande, de presencia nítida pero difícil de descifrar, que llenaba por completo las interlíneas del cuaderno de escolar. Al principio escribía a escondidas en las horas de la madrugada, pero cuando los guardianes la descubrieron, le suministraban suficiente papel y lápiz para mantenerla ocupada mientras ellos dormían.

    La primera anotación la hizo el 27 de setiembre, una semana después del secuestro de Marina y Pacho, y decía: «Desde el miércoles 19, día en que vino el responsable de esta operación, han pasado tantas cosas que no tengo alientos». Se preguntaba por qué su secuestro no había sido reivindicado por sus autores, y se contestó que quizás lo hacían para poder asesinarlos sin escándalo público en caso de que no sirvieran a sus propósitos. «Así lo entiendo y me lleno de horror», escribió. Se preocupaba por el estado de sus compañeros más que por el suyo y por las noticias de cualquier fuente que le permitieran sacar conclusiones de su situación. Siempre fue una católica practicante, como toda su familia, y en especial la madre, y su devoción se iría haciendo más intensa y profunda con el paso del tiempo, hasta alcanzar estados de misticismo. Rogaba a Dios y a la Virgen por todo el que tuviera algo que ver con su vida, inclusive por Pablo Escobar. «Tal vez él necesite más de tu ayuda», le escribió a Dios en su diario. «Sé de tu impulso de hacerle ver el bien para que evite más dolor, y te pido por él para que entienda nuestra situación.»

    Lo más difícil para todos, sin duda, fue aprender a convivir con los guardianes. Los de Maruja y Beatriz eran cuatro jóvenes sin ninguna formación, brutales e inestables, que se turnaban de dos en dos cada doce horas, sentados en el piso y con las metralletas listas.

    Todos con camisetas de propaganda comercial, zapatos de tenis y pantalones cortos que a veces eran recortados por ellos mismos con tijeras de podar. Uno de los dos que entraban a las seis de la mañana seguía durmiendo hasta las nueve mientras el otro vigilaba, pero casi siempre se quedaban dormidos los dos al mismo tiempo. Maruja y Beatriz habían pensado que si un comando de la policía asaltaba la casa a esa hora, los guardianes no tendrían tiempo de despertar.

    La condición común era el fatalismo absoluto. Sabían que iban a morir jóvenes, lo aceptaban, y sólo les importaba vivir el momento. Las disculpas que se daban a sí mismos por su oficio abominable era ayudar a su familia, comprar buena ropa, tener motocicletas, y velar por la felicidad de la madre, que adoraban por encima de todo y por la cual estaban dispuestos a morir. Vivían aferrados al mismo Divino Niño y la misma María Auxiliadora de sus secuestrados. Les rezaban a diario para implorar su protección y su misericordia, con una devoción pervertida, pues les ofrecían mandas y sacrificios para que los ayudaran en el éxito de sus crímenes.

    Después de su devoción por los santos, tenían la del Rovignol, un tranquilizante que les permitía cometer en la vida real las proezas del cine. «Mezclado con una cerveza uno entra en onda enseguida -explicaba un guardián-. Entonces le prestan a uno un buen fierro y se roba un carro para pasear. El gusto es la cara de terror con que le entregan a uno las llaves.»

    Todo lo demás lo odiaban: los políticos, el gobierno, el Estado, la justicia, la policía, la sociedad entera. La vida, decían, era una mierda.

    Al principio fue imposible distinguirlos, porque lo único que veían de ellos era la máscara, y todos les parecían iguales. Es decir: uno solo. El tiempo les enseñó que la máscara esconde el rostro pero no el carácter. Así lograron individualizarlos. Cada máscara tenía una identidad diferente, un modo de ser propio, una voz irrenunciable. Y más aún: tenía un corazón. Aun sin desearlo terminaron compartiendo con ellos la soledad del encierro. Jugaban a las barajas y al dominó, y se ayudaban en la solución de los crucigramas y acertijos de las revistas viejas.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb