News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 16

    Alberto Villamizar appeared on various news shows eight times in the first two days, certain that the victims would hear his voice on at least one of them. And almost all of Maruja’s children worked in the media. Some had regularly scheduled television programs and used them to maintain communication that they assumed was unilateral, and perhaps useless, but they persisted.

    The first one the prisoners saw, on the following Wednesday, was the program aired by Alexandra on her return from La Guajira. Jaime Gaviria, a psychiatrist, a colleague of Beatriz’s husband, and an old friend of the family, broadcast a series of instructions for maintaining one’s spirit in confined spaces. Maruja and Beatriz knew Dr. Gaviria, understood the purpose of the program, and took careful note of his instructions.

    This was the first in an eight-program series produced by Alexandra and based on a long conversation with Dr. Gaviria on the psychology of hostages. Her primary consideration was to select topics that Maruja and Beatriz would find interesting and to conceal personal messages that only they would understand. Then Alexandra decided that each week she would have a guest who was prepared to answer preselected questions that would stimulate immediate associations in the captives. The surprise was that many viewers who knew nothing about her plan could at least tell that something else was hidden behind the apparent innocence of the questions.

    NOT FAR AWAY—in the same city—Francisco Santos lived in his captive’s room under conditions as miserable as Maruja’s and Beatriz’s, but not as harsh. One explanation is that in addition to the political usefulness of their abduction, there may also have been a desire for revenge as far as the women were concerned. And it is almost certain that their guards and Pacho’s belonged to two different crews. Though it may have been only for reasons of security, the crews acted on their own, and did not communicate with each other. But even so, there were incomprehensible differences. Pacho’s guards were more informal, more autonomous and accommodating, and less concerned with hiding their identities. The worst difficulty for Pacho was, having to sleep shackled to the bars of the bed with a metal chain that was wrapped to prevent skin abrasions. The worst for Maruja and Beatriz was not even having a bed to be chained to.

    From the very beginning of his captivity, Pacho was given newspapers every day. In general, the press reports on his kidnapping were so inaccurate and fanciful they made his captors double over with daughter. His schedule had already been established when Maruja and Beatriz were abducted. He would stay awake all night and go to sleep at about eleven in the morning. He watched television, alone or with his guards, or chatted with them about the news of the day, soccer games in particular. He read until he got bored, yet still had enough nervous energy to play cards or chess. His bed was comfortable, and he slept well from the first night until he developed a painful rash and a burning in his eyes, which cleared up when the cotton blankets were washed and the room given a thorough cleaning. They never worried about anyone seeing the light from the outside because the windows were boarded over.

    In October an unexpected hope presented itself: Pacho was ordered to send proof to his family that he was alive. He had to make a supreme effort to maintain his self-control. He asked for black coffee and two packs of cigarettes, and began to compose a message straight from the heart, not changing a comma. He recorded it onto a mini-cassette, which couriers preferred over full-size tapes because they were easier to conceal. Pacho spoke as slowly as he could and tried to keep his voice calm and to adopt an attitude that would not reveal the dark shadows in his spirit. He concluded by reading aloud the headlines in that day’s El Tiempo as proof of the date on which he taped the message. He felt satisfied, above all with the first sentence: “Everyone who knows me knows how difficult this message is for me.” Yet when the heat of the moment had passed and he read it in published form, Pacho had the impression that with the last sentence he had put the noose around his own neck: He asked the president to do everything he could to free the journalists. “But,” he warned, “what matters is not to ignore the laws and precepts of the Constitution, for these benefit not only the nation but the freedom of the press, which is now being held hostage.” His depression deepened a few days later when Maruja and Beatriz were abducted, because he interpreted their kidnapping as a sign that matters would be drawn out and complicated. This was the moment of conception for an escape plan that would become his irresistible obsession.

    CONDITIONS FOR DIANA and her crew—five hundred kilometers north of Bogotá, and three months after their capture—were different from those of the other hostages, since holding two women and four men at the same time presented complex logistical and security problems. In Maruja’s and Beatriz’s prison, the surprising element was the total absence of leniency. In the case of Pacho Santos, it was the informal, easy behavior of the guards, who were all his age. In Diana’s group, an improvisatory atmosphere kept captives and captors alike in a state of alarmed uncertainty; the instability infected everything and grated on everyone’s nerves.

    Diana’s captivity was notable too for its migratory nature. During their long imprisonment the hostages were moved, with no explanation, at least twenty times, in Medellín and near it, to houses of differing styles and quality, and varying conditions.

    Perhaps this mobility was possible because their abductors, unlike those in Bogotá, were in their natural environment, over which they had complete control, and maintained direct contact with their superiors.

    The hostages were not all together in the same house except on two occasions, and for only a few hours. At first they were divided into two groups: Richard, Orlando, and Hero Buss in one house, Diana, Azucena, and Juan Vitta in another not far away. Some of the moves came without warning; such as sudden moves, unplanned moves, having no time to gather up their possessions because a police raid was imminent, or almost always being on foot down steep hillsides, or slogging through mud in endless downpours. Diana was a strong, resilient woman, but those merciless, humiliating flights, in the physical and moral conditions of captivity, undermined her endurance. Other moves were heart-stopping escapes through the streets of Medellín, in ordinary cabs, eluding checkpoints and street patrols. The hardest thing for all of them during the first few weeks was that they were prisoners and no one knew it. They watched television, listened to the radio, read the papers, but there was no report of their disappearance until September 14, when the news program “Criptón” announced, without citing sources, that they were not on assignment with the guerrillas but had been kidnapped by the Extraditables. And several more weeks had to go by before the Extraditables issued a formal acknowledgment of their abduction.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 16

    Alberto Villamizar apareció en los distintos noticieros de televisión ocho veces en los primeros dos días, con la certidumbre de que por alguno les llegaba su voz a las secuestradas. Casi todos los hijos de Maruja, además, eran gente de medios masivos.

    Algunos tenían programas de televisión con horarios fijos, y los utilizaron para mantener una comunicación que ellos suponían unilateral, y tal vez inútil, pero la sostuvieron.

    El primero que vieron el miércoles siguiente fue el que Alexandra hizo al regreso de la Guajira. El siquiatra Jaime Gaviria, colega del esposo de Beatriz y viejo amigo de la familia, impartió una serie de instrucciones sabias para mantener el ánimo en espacios cerrados. Maruja y Beatriz, que conocían al doctor Gaviria, comprendieron el sentido del programa y tomaron nota de sus enseñanzas.

    Éste fue el primero de una serie de ocho programas que había preparado Alexandra con base en una larga conversación con el doctor Gaviria sobre la sicología de los secuestrados.

    Lo primero era escoger los temas que les gustaran a Maruja y Beatriz y envolver en ellos mensajes personales que sólo ellas pudieran descifrar. Alexandra decidió entonces llevar cada semana un personaje preparado para contestar preguntas intencionales que sin duda suscitarían en las rehenes asociaciones inmediatas. La sorpresa fue que muchos televidentes desprevenidos se dieron cuenta por lo menos de que algo iba envuelto en la inocencia de las preguntas.

    No lejos de allí -dentro de la misma ciudad- las condiciones de Francisco Santos en su cuarto de cautivo eran tan abominables como las de Maruja y Beatriz, pero no tan severas.

    Una explicación es que hubiera contra ellas, además del utilitarismo político del secuestro, un propósito de venganza. Es casi seguro, además, que los guardianes de Maruja y los de Pacho eran dos equipos distintos. Aunque sólo fuera por motivos de seguridad, actuaban por separado y sin ninguna comunicación entre ellos. Pero aun en eso había diferencias incomprensibles. Los de Pacho eran más familiares, autónomos y complacientes, y menos cuidadosos de su identidad. La peor condición de Pacho era que dormía encadenado a los barrotes de la cama con una cadena metálica forrada de cinta aislante para evitar ulceraciones. La peor de Maruja y Beatriz era que ni siquiera tenían una cama donde ser amarradas.

    Pacho recibió los periódicos puntuales desde el primer día. En general, los relatos sobre su secuestro en la prensa escrita eran tan desinformados y antojadizos que hicieron torcerse de risa a los secuestradores. Su horario estaba ya bien establecido cuando secuestraron a Maruja y Beatriz. Pasaba la noche en claro y se dormía como a las once de la mañana. Veía televisión, solo o con sus guardianes, o conversaba con ellos sobre las noticias del día y, en especial, sobre los partidos de fútbol. Leía hasta el cansancio y todavía le sobraban nervios para jugar a las barajas o al ajedrez. Su cama era confortable, y durmió bien desde la primera noche hasta que contrajo una sarna urticante y un ardor en los ojos, que desaparecieron con sólo lavar las cobijas de algodón y hacer en el cuarto una limpieza a fondo. Nunca se preocuparon de que alguien viera desde fuera la luz encendida, porque las ventanas estaban clausuradas con tablas.

    En octubre surgió una ilusión imprevista: la orden de que se preparara para mandar a la familia una prueba de supervivencia. Tuvo que hacer un esfuerzo supremo para mantener el dominio. Pidió una jarra de café tinto y dos paquetes de cigarrillos, y empezó a redactar el mensaje como le saliera del alma sin corregir una coma. Lo grabó en una mini-casete, que las estafetas preferían a las normales, porque eran más fáciles de esconder. Habló tan despacio como fue capaz y trató de afinar la dicción y asumir una actitud que no delatara las sombras de su ánimo. Por último grabó los titulares mayores de El Tíempo del día como prueba de la fecha en que hizo el mensaje. Quedó satisfecho, sobre todo de la primera frase:

    «Todas las personas que me conocen saben lo difícil que es este mensaje para mí». Sin embargo, cuando lo leyó publicado, ya en frío, tuvo la impresión de que se había echado la soga al cuello, por la frase final, en que pedía al presidente hacer lo que pudiera por la liberación de los periodistas. «Pero eso sí -le advertía-, sin pasar por encima de las leyes y los preceptos constitucionales, lo cual es benéfico no sólo para el país sino para la libertad de prensa que hoy está secuestrada.» La depresión se agravó unos días después cuando secuestraron a Maruja y a Beatriz, porque lo entendió como una señal de que las cosas iban a ser largas y complicadas. Ése fue el primer embrión de un plan de fuga que se le iba a convertir en una obsesión irresistible.

    Las condiciones de Diana y su equipo -quinientos kilómetros al norte de Bogotá y a tres meses del secuestro- eran diferentes de los otros rehenes, pues dos mujeres y cuatro hombres cautivos al mismo tiempo planteaban problemas muy complejos de logística y seguridad. En la cárcel de Maruja y Beatriz sorprendía la falta absoluta de indulgencia. En la de Pacho Santos sorprendían la familiaridad y el desenfado de los guardianes de su misma generación. En el grupo de Diana reinaba un ambiente de improvisación que mantenía a secuestrados y secuestradores en un estado de alarma e incertidumbre, con una inestabilidad que lo contaminaba todo y aumentaba el nerviosismo de todos.

    El secuestro de Diana se distinguió también por su signo errático. Durante el largo cautiverio los rehenes fueron mudados sin explicaciones no menos de veinte veces, cerca y dentro de Medellín, a casas de estilos y categorías diferentes y condiciones desiguales. Esta movilidad era posible tal vez porque sus secuestradores, a diferencia de los de Bogotá se movían en su medio natural, lo controlaban por completo, y mantenían contacto directo con sus superiores.

    Los rehenes no estuvieron juntos en una misma casa sino en dos ocasiones y por pocas horas. Al principio fueron dos grupos: Richard, Orlando y Hero Buss en una casa, y Diana, Azucena y Juan Vitta en otra cercana. Algunas mudanzas habían sido atolondradas e imprevistas, a cualquier hora y sin tiempo para recoger sus cosas por el inminente asalto de la policía, y casi siempre a pie por pendientes escarpadas y chapaleando en el fango bajo aguaceros interminables. Diana era una mujer fuerte y resuelta, pero aquellas caminatas despiadadas y humillantes, en las condiciones físicas y morales del cautiverio, sobrepasaban por mucho su resistencia. Otras mudanzas fueron de una naturalidad pasmosa por las calles de Medellín, en taxis ordinarios y eludiendo retenes y patrullas callejeras. Lo más duro para todos en las primeras semanas era estar secuestrados sin que nadie lo supiera. Veían la televisión, escuchaban la radio y leían los periódicos, pero no hubo una noticia sobre su desaparición hasta el 14 de septiembre, cuando el noticiero Criptón informó sin citar la fuente que no estaban en misión periodística con las guerrillas sino secuestrados por los Extraditables. Habían de pasar todavía varias semanas antes de que éstos emitieran un reconocimiento formal del secuestro.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb