News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 14

    Chapter 3

    Maruja opened her eyes and thought of an old Spanish proverb: “God doesn’t send anything we can’t bear.” It had been ten days since their abduction, and both she and Beatriz were growing accustomed to a routine that had seemed unthinkable on the first night. The kidnappers had repeated over and over again that this was a military operation, but the rules of their captivity were harsher than those of a prison. They could speak only if the matter was urgent, and never above a whisper. They could not get off the mattress that was their common bed, and they had to ask the two guards—who watched them all the time, even when they were sleeping—for everything they needed: permission to sit, to stretch their legs, to speak to Marina, to smoke. Maruja had to cover her mouth with a pillow to muffle the sound of her cough. Marina had the only bed, lit day and night by a perpetual candle. On the floor beside the bed lay the mattress where Maruja and Beatriz slept, their heads facing opposite directions like the fish in the zodiac, with only one blanket for the two of them.

    The guards sat on the floor to watch them, leaning against the wall. The space was so narrow that if they straightened their legs, their feet were on the prisoners’ mattress. They lived in semi-darkness because the one window was boarded over. Before they went to sleep, the cracks around the only door were stuffed with rags so that the light from Marina’s candle would not be seen in the rest of the house. The only other light came from the television set, because Maruja had them turn off the blue light-bulb in the ceiling that gave them all a terrifying pallor. The closed, unventilated room was heavy with foul-smelling heat. The worst time was between six and nine in the morning, when the prisoners were awake, with no air, with nothing to drink or eat, waiting for the rags to be pulled away from the door so they could begin to breathe. The only consolation for Maruja and Marina was that they were given coffee and cigarettes whenever they asked for them. For Beatriz, a respiratory therapist, the smoke hanging in the little room was a calamity. She suffered it in silence, however, since it made the other two so happy. Marina, with her cigarette and her cup of coffee, once exclaimed: “How nice it will be when the three of us are in my house, smoking and drinking our coffee and laughing about this awful time.” Instead of suffering, on that day Beatriz regretted not smoking.

    The fact that the three women were in the same prison may have been an emergency measure: Their captors must have decided that the house where they had been taken first could not be used after the cab driver indicated the route they had taken. This was the only way to explain the last-minute change, the wretched fact that there was only one narrow bed, a single mattress for two people, and less than six square meters for the three hostages and the two guards on duty. Marina had also been brought there from another house—or another farm, as she called it—because the drinking and disorderliness of the guards at her first prison had endangered the entire organization. In any case, it was inconceivable that one of the largest transnational enterprises in the world did not have enough compassion to provide humane conditions for its kidnappers and their victims.

    They had no idea where they were. They knew from the sound that they were very close to a highway with heavy truck traffic. There also seemed to be a sidewalk café with drinking and music that stayed open very late. Sometimes they heard a loudspeaker announcing either political or religious meetings, or broadcasting deafening concerts. On several occasions they heard campaign slogans for the Constituent Assembly that was to convene soon. More often they heard the whine of small planes taking off and landing just a short distance away, which led them to suppose they were somewhere near Guaymaral, a landing field about twenty kilometers to the north of Bogotá, used for small aircraft. Maruja, who had known savanna weather from the time she was a girl, felt that the cold in their room was not the chill of the countryside but of the city. And their captors’ excessive precautions made sense only if they were in an urban center.

    Most surprising of all was the occasional roar of a helicopter so close it seemed to be on the roof. Marina Montoya said it meant the arrival of an army officer who was responsible for the abductions. As the days passed, they would become accustomed to the sound, for during their captivity the helicopter landed at least once a month, and the hostages were sure it had something to do with them.

    It was impossible to distinguish the line between truth and Marina’s contagious fantasies.

    She said that Pacho Santos and Diana Turbay were in other rooms of the house, so that the officer in the helicopter could take care of all three cases during each visit. Once they heard alarming noises in the courtyard. The major-domo, the man who managed the house, was insulting his wife as he gave hurried orders to move it that way, bring it over here, a little higher, as if they were trying to force a corpse into a place that was too small. Marina, in her gloomy delirium, thought that perhaps they had cut up Francisco Santos and were burying the pieces under the tiles in the kitchen. “When the killings begin, they don’t stop,” she kept saying. “We’re next.” It was a terrifying night until they learned by chance that they had been moving an old wash tub that was too heavy for four men to carry.

    At night the silence was total, interrupted only by a demented rooster with no sense of time who crowed whenever he felt like it. Barking dogs could be heard in the distance and one very close by sounded to them like a trained guard dog. Maruja got off to a bad start. She curled up on the mattress, closed her eyes, and for several days did not open them again except when she had to, trying to think with more clarity. She was not sleeping for eight hours at a time but would doze off for half an hour and wake to find the same agony always lying in wait for her. She felt permanent dread: the constant physical sensation in her stomach of a hard knot about to explode into panic. Maruja ran the complete film of her life in an effort to hold on to good memories, but disagreeable ones always intervened. On one of three trips she had made to Colombia from Jakarta, Luis Carlos Galán had asked her, during a private lunch, to help him in his next presidential campaign. She had been his media adviser during an earlier campaign, traveling all over the country with her sister Gloria, celebrating victories, suffering defeats, averting mishaps, and so the offer was logical. Maruja felt appreciated and nattered. But when lunch was over, she noticed a vague look in Galán, a supernatural light: the instantaneous and certain vision that he would be killed. The revelation was so strong that she persuaded her husband to return to Colombia even though General Maza Márquez had warned him, with no further explanation, that they were risking death. A week before they left Jakarta, they heard the news that Galán had been murdered.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 14

    Capítulo 3

    Maruja abrió los ojos y recordó un viejo adagio español: «Que no nos dé Dios lo que somos capaces de soportar». Habían transcurrido diez días desde el secuestro, y tanto Beatriz como ella empezaban a acostumbrarse a una rutina que la primera noche les pareció inconcebible. Los secuestradores les habían reiterado a menudo que aquélla era una operación militar, pero el régimen del cautiverio era peor que carcelario. Sólo podían hablar para asuntos urgentes y siempre en susurros. No podían levantarse del colchón, que les servía de cama común, y todo lo que necesitaban debían pedirlo a los dos guardianes que no las perdían de vista ni si estaban dormidas: permiso para sentarse, para estirar las piernas, para hablar con Marina, para fumar. Maruja tenía que taparse la boca con una almohada para amortiguar los ruidos de la tos.

    La única cama era la de Marina, iluminada de día y de noche por una veladora eterna.

    Paralelo a la cama estaba el colchón tirado en el suelo, donde dormían Maruja y Beatriz, una de ¡da y otra de vuelta, como los pescaditos del zodíaco, y con una sola cobija para las dos. Los guardianes velaban sentados en el suelo y recostados a la pared. Su espacio era tan estrecho que si estiraban las piernas les quedaban los pies sobre el colchón de las cautivas.

    Vivían en la penumbra porque la única ventana estaba clausurada. Antes de dormir, tapaban con trapos la rendija de la única puerta para que no se viera la luz de la veladora de Marina en el resto de la casa. No había otra luz ni de día ni de noche, salvo el resplandor del televisor, porque Maruja hizo quitar el foco azul que les daba a todos una palidez terrorífica. El cuarto cerrado y sin ventilación se saturaba de un calor pestilente. Las peores horas eran desde las seis hasta las nueve de la mañana, en que las cautivas permanecían despiertas, sin aire, sin nada de beber ni de comer, esperando que destaparan la rendija de la puerta para empezar a respirar. El único consuelo para Maruja y Marina era el suministro puntual de una jarra de café y un cartón de cigarrillos cada vez que lo pedían. Para Beatriz, especialista en terapia respiratoria, el humo acumulado en el cuartito era una desgracia. Sin embargo, la soportaba en silencio por lo felices que eran las otras. Marina, con su cigarrillo y su taza de café, exclamó alguna vez: «Cómo será de bueno cuando estemos las tres juntas en mi casa, fumando y tomando nuestro cafecito, y riéndonos de estos días horribles».

    Ese día, en vez de sufrir, Beatriz lamentó no fumar.

    Que estuvieran las tres en la misma cárcel pudo ser una solución de emergencia, porque la casa donde las llevaron primero debió de quedar inservible cuando el taxi chocado reveló el rumbo de los secuestradores. Sólo así se explicaban el cambio de última hora, y la miseria de que hubiera sólo una cama estrecha, un colchón sencillo para dos y menos de seis metros cuadrados para las tres rehenes y los dos guardianes de turno. También a Marina la habían llevado de otra casa -o de otra finca, como ella decía- porque las borracheras y el desorden de los guardianes de la primera donde la tuvieron habían puesto en peligro a toda la organización. En todo caso, era inconcebible que una de las grandes transnacionales del mundo no tuviera un mínimo de corazón para mantener a sus secuaces y a sus víctimas en condiciones humanas.

    No tenían la menor idea de dónde estaban. Por los ruidos sabían que había muy cerca una carretera para camiones pesados. También parecía haber una tienda de vereda, con alcoholes y músicas, que permanecía abierta hasta tarde. A veces se escuchaba un altoparlante que lo mismo convocaba a actos políticos o religiosos, o transmitía conciertos atronadores. En varias ocasiones oyeron las consignas de las campañas electorales para la próxima Asamblea Constituyente. Con más frecuencia se oían zumbidos de aviones pequeños que decolaban y aterrizaban a poca distancia, lo cual hacía pensar que estaban por los lados de Guaymaral, un aeropuerto para aviones de pista corta a veinte kilómetros al norte de Bogotá. Maruja, familiarizada desde niña con el clima de la sabana, sentía que el frío de su cuarto no era de campo abierto sino de ciudad. Además, las precauciones excesivas de los guardianes eran sólo comprensibles si estaban en un núcleo urbano.

    Lo más sorprendente era el estruendo ocasional de un helicóptero tan cercano, que parecía encima de la casa. Marina Montoya decía que allí llegaba un oficial del ejército responsable de los secuestros. Con el paso de los días habían de acostumbrarse a aquel ruido, pues en los meses que duró el cautiverio el helicóptero aterrizó por lo menos una vez al mes, y los rehenes no dudaron de que tenía que ver con ellas.

    Era imposible distinguir los límites entre la verdad y la contagiosa fantasía de Marina.

    Decía que Pacho Santos y Diana Turbay estaban en otros cuartos de la misma casa, de modo que el militar del helicóptero se ocupaba de los tres casos al mismo tiempo durante cada visita. En una ocasión oyeron unos ruidos alarmantes en el patio. El mayordomo insultaba a su mujer entre órdenes atropelladas de que lo alzaran de aquí, que lo trajeran para acá, que lo voltearan para arriba, como si trataran de meter un cadáver donde no cabía.

    Marina, en sus delirios tenebrosos, pensó que tal vez habían descuartizado a Francisco Santos y estaban enterrándolo a pedazos debajo de las baldosas de la cocina. «Cuando empiezan las matanzas no paran -decía-. Las próximas seremos nosotras.» Fue una noche de espantos, hasta que supieron por casualidad que habían cambiado de lugar una lavadora primitiva que no podían cargar entre cuatro.

    De noche el silencio era total. Sólo interrumpido por un gallo loco sin sentido de las horas que cantaba cuando quería. Se oían ladridos en el horizonte, y uno muy cercano que les pareció de un perro guardián amaestrado. Maruja empezó mal. Se enroscó en el colchón, cerró los ojos, y durante varios días no volvió a abrirlos sino lo indispensable tratando de pensar con claridad. No es que pudiera dormir ocho horas seguidas sino que dormía apenas media hora, y al despertar se encontraba otra vez con la angustia que la acechaba en la realidad. Era un miedo permanente: la sensación física de un cordón templado en el estómago, siempre a punto de reventarse para volverse pánico. Maruja pasaba la película completa de su vida para agarrarse de los buenos recuerdos, pero siempre se imponían los ingratos.

    En uno de los tres viajes que había hecho a Colombia desde Yakarta, Luis Carlos Galán le había pedido en el curso de un almuerzo privado que lo ayudara en la dirección de su próxima campaña presidencial. Ella había sido su asesora de imagen en una campaña anterior, había viajado con su hermana Gloria por todo el país, habían celebrado triunfos, sobrellevado derrotas y sorteado riesgos, de modo que la oferta era lógica. Maruja se sintió justificada y complacida. Pero al final del almuerzo notó. En Galán un gesto indefinido, una luz sobrenatural: la clarividencia instantánea y certera de que iban a matarlo. Fue algo tan revelador que convenció a su marido de regresar a Colombia, a pesar de que el general Maza Márquez lo había prevenido sin ninguna explicación de los riesgos de muerte que lo esperaban. Ocho días antes del regreso los despertó en Yakarta la noticia de que Galán había sido asesinado.

© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb