News of a Kidnapping 3 d33c1810
  • EN
    EN flag

    News of a Kidnapping

    Episode 12

    In the midst of the family upheaval, Pacho said something that made all of them to shudder: “One of us will not be alive in December.” He did not think, however, that the night of his abduction would be his last. For the first time his nerves were calm, and he felt sure he would survive. Pacho knew the guard lying on the floor was awake by the rhythm of his breathing. He asked him:

    “Who’s holding me?”

    “Who do you want to be held by,” asked the guard, “the guerrillas or the drug dealers?”

    “I think I’m being held by Pablo Escobar,” Pacho replied.

    “That’s right,” said the guard, and made an immediate correction, “the Extraditables.”

    The news was in the air. The switchboard operators at El Tiempo had notified his closest relatives, who had notified others, who called others, until everybody knew. Through a series of peculiar circumstances, one of the last in the family to find out was Pacho’s wife. A few minutes after the abduction she had received a call from his friend Juan Gabriel Uribe, who still was not sure what had happened and could only ask if Pacho was home yet. She said no, and Juan Gabriel did not have the heart to tell her something that was still an unconfirmed report.  A few minutes after that, she had a call from Enrique Santos Calderón; her husband’s double first cousin and the assistant manager at El Tiempo.

    “Have you heard about Pacho?” he asked.

    María Victoria thought he was referring to another matter having to do with her husband, which she already knew about.

    “Of course,” she said.

    Enrique said a quick goodbye so he could call other family members. (Years later, commenting on the mistake, María Victoria said: “That happened to me because I wanted to pass myself off as a genius.”) Then Juan Gabriel called back and told her the whole story: They had killed the driver and taken Pacho.

    PRESIDENT GAVIRIA and his closest advisers were reviewing television ads to promote the election campaign for the Constituent Assembly when his press adviser, Mauricio Vargas, whispered in his ear: “They’ve kidnapped Pachito Santos.” The viewing was not interrupted. The president, who needs glasses to watch movies, took them off and looked at Vargas.

    “Keep me informed,” he told him.

    He put on his glasses again and continued to watch the ads. His close friend Alberto Casas Santamaría, the communications minister, was sitting beside him and heard the news, and it was whispered from ear to ear along the row of presidential advisers. A shudder passed through the room. But the president did not blink, following a norm in his life that he expresses in a schoolboy’s rule: “I have to finish this assignment.” When the tape had ended, he took off his glasses again, put them in his breast pocket, and told Mauricio Vargas:

    “Phone Rafael Pardo and tell him to call a meeting of the Council on Security right away.”

    Then he began the planned discussion of the ads. Only when a decision had been reached did he reveal the impact that the news of the abduction had on him. Half an hour later he walked into the room where most of the members of the Council on Security sat waiting for him. They had just started the meeting when Mauricio Vargas tiptoed in and whispered in his ear:

    “They’ve kidnapped Marina Montoya.”

    It had, in reality, occurred at four o’clock, before Pacho’s kidnapping, but the news did not reach the president until four hours later.

    TEN THOUSAND kilometers away, in a hotel in Florence, Pacho’s father, Hernándo Santos Castillo, had been asleep for three hours. His daughter Juanita was in an adjoining room, and his daughter Adriana and her husband were in another. They had been informed by telephone and had decided not to disturb their father. But his nephew Luis Fernando called him direct from Bogotá, using the most cautious opening he could think of for waking his uncle, who was seventy-eight years old and had undergone five heart bypasses.

    “I have some very bad news for you,” he said.

    Hernando, of course, imagined the worst, but he put on a good front.

    “What happened?”

    “They kidnapped Pacho.”

    News of a kidnapping, no matter how painful, is not as irremediable as news of a murder, and Hernando breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank God,” he said, and then changed his tone:

    “Okay. Don’t worry. We’ll see what we have to do.” An hour later, in the middle of a fragrant Tuscan autumn night, they began the long trip home to Colombia.

    THE TURBAY FAMILY, distraught at having heard nothing from Diana in the week since her departure, requested the government to make official inquiries through the principal guerrilla organizations. A week after the date on which Diana was due back, her husband, Miguel Uribe, and Alvaro Leyva, a member of parliament, traveled in secret to Casa Verde, the general headquarters of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) in the eastern mountains. There they were able to contact all the armed groups in an effort to determine if Diana was with any of them. Seven denied it in a joint communiqué.

    Not knowing what to expect, the presidency alerted the public to a proliferation of false communiqués and asked the people not to put more faith in them than in announcements from the government. But the grave and bitter truth was that the public had implicit trust in the Extraditables’ communiqués, which meant that on October 30—sixty-one days after the abduction of Diana Turbay, forty-two days after the kidnapping of Francisco Santos—everyone gave a sigh of relief when the last remaining doubts were dispelled by a single sentence from the Extraditables: “We acknowledge publicly that we are holding the missing journalists.” Eight days later, Maruja Pachón and Beatriz Villamizar were abducted. There were plenty of reasons for assuming that this escalation had even broader implications.

    On the day following the disappearance of Diana and her crew, when there was still no suspicion in anyone’s mind that they had been kidnapped, Yami Amat, the distinguished news director at Caracol Radio, was intercepted on a street in downtown Bogotá by a group of thugs who had been following him for several days. Amat slipped out of their hands with an athletic maneuver that caught them off guard, and somehow survived a bullet in the back. Just a few hours later, María Clara, the daughter of former president Belisario Betancur, and her twelve-year-old daughter Natalia, managed to escape in her car when another armed gang blocked her way in a residential neighborhood in Bogotá.

    The only explanation for these two failures is that the kidnappers must have had strict orders not to kill their victims.

    THE FIRST PEOPLE to have definite knowledge of who was holding Maruja Pachón and Beatriz Villamizar were Hernando Santos and former president Julio César Turbay, because forty-eight hours after their abduction, Escobar himself informed them in writing through one of his lawyers: “You can tell them that the group is holding Pachón.” On November 12, there was another oblique confirmation in a letter written on the Extraditables’ stationery to Juan Gómez Martínez, director of the Medellín newspaper El Colombiano, who had mediated on several occasions with Escobar on behalf of the Notables. “The detention of the journalist Maruja Pachón,” said the letter from the Extraditables “is our response to the recent tortures and abductions perpetrated in the city of Medellín by the same state security forces mentioned so often in our previous communiqués.” And once again they expressed their determination not to free any of the hostages as long as that situation continued.

  • FR
    FR flag

    Journal d’un Enlèvement

    Désolé! Actuellement, ce projet n’a pas de version française.

    De plus amples informations en français sont disponibles sur la page portail de ce projet, sous l’onglet Français.

  • ES
    ES flag

    Noticia de un Secuestro

    Episodio 12

    En medio de la conmoción familiar, Pacho dijo una frase que estremeció a todos: «Uno de nosotros no estará vivo en diciembre». La noche del secuestro, sin embargo, no sintió que fuera la última. Por primera vez sus nervios eran un remanso, y se sentía seguro de sobrevivir. Por el ritmo de la respiración, se dio cuenta de que el guardián tendido a su lado estaba despierto. Le preguntó:

    -¿En manos de quién estoy?

    -En manos de quién prefiere -preguntó el guardián-: ¿de la guerrilla o del narcotráfico?

    -Creo que estoy en manos de Pablo Escobar -dijo Pacho.

    -Así es -dijo el guardián, y corrigió enseguida-: en manos de los Extraditables.

    La noticia estaba en el aire. Los operadores del conmutador de El Tiempo habían llamado a los parientes más cercanos, y éstos a otros y a otros, hasta el fin del mundo. Por una serie de casualidades extrañas, una de las últimas que la supieron en la familia fue la esposa de Pacho. Minutos después del secuestro la había llamado su primo Juan Gabriel, quien no estaba seguro aún de lo que había sucedido, y sólo se animó a preguntarle si Pacho había llegado a casa. Ella le dijo que no, y Juan Gabriel no se animó a darle la noticia todavía sin confirmar. Minutos después la llamó Enrique Santos Calderón, primo hermano doble de su esposo y subdirector de El Tiempo.

    -¿Ya sabes lo de Pacho? -le preguntó.

    María Victoria creyó que le hablaban de otra noticia que ella conocía ya, y que tenía algo que ver con su marido.


    Enrique se despidió a toda prisa para seguir llamando a otros parientes. Años después, comentando el equívoco, María Victoria comentó: «Eso, me pasó por dármelas de genio».

    Al instante volvió a llamarla Juan Gabriel y le contó todo junto: habían matado al chofer y se habían llevado a Pacho.

    El presidente Gaviria y sus consejeros más cercanos estaban revisando unos comerciales de televisión para promover la campaña electoral de la Asamblea Constituyente, cuando su consejero de Prensa, Mauricio Vargas, le dijo al oído: «Secuestraron a Pachito Santos». La proyección no se interrumpió. El presidente, que necesita lentes para el cine, se los quitó para mirar a Vargas.

    -Queme mantengan informado -le dijo.

    Se puso los lentes y siguió viendo la proyección. Su íntimo amigo, Alberto Casas Santamaría, ministro de Comunicaciones, que estaba al lado suyo, alcanzó a oír la noticia y  la transmitió de oreja a oreja a los consejeros presidenciales. Un estremecimiento sacudió la sala. Pero el presidente no pestañeó, de acuerdo con una norma de su modo de ser que él expresa con una regla escolar: «Hay que terminar esta tarea». Al término de la proyección volvió a quitarse los lentes, se los guardó en el bolsillo del pecho, y ordenó a Mauricio Vargas:

    -Llame a Rafael Pardo y dígale que convoque para ahora mismo un Consejo de Seguridad.

    Mientras tanto, promovió un intercambio de opiniones sobre los comerciales, como estaba previsto. Sólo cuando hubo una decisión dejó ver el impacto que le había causado la noticia del secuestro. Media hora después entró en el salón donde ya lo esperaban la mayoría de los miembros del Consejo de Seguridad. Apenas empezaban, cuando Mauricio Vargas entró en puntillas y le dijo al oído:

    -Secuestraron a Marina Montoya.

    En realidad, había ocurrido a las cuatro de la tarde -antes que el secuestro de Pacho- pero la noticia había necesitado otras cuatro horas para llegarle al presidente.

    Hérnando Santos Castillo, el padre de Pacho, dormía desde tres horas antes a diez mil kilómetros de distancia, en un hotel de Florencia, Italia. En un cuarto contiguo estaba su hija Juanita, y en otro su hija Adriana con su marido. Todos habían recibido la noticia por teléfono, y decidieron no despertar al papá. Pero su sobrino Luis Fernando lo llamó en directo desde Bogotá, con el preámbulo más cauteloso que se le ocurrió para despertar a un tío de sesenta y ocho años con cinco by-passes en el corazón.

    _Te tengo una muy mala noticia -le dijo.

    Hernando, por supuesto, se imaginó lo peor pero guardó las formas.

    -¿Qué pasó?

    -Secuestraron a Pacho.

    La noticia de un secuestro, por dura que sea, no es tan irremediable como la de un asesinato, y Hernando respiró aliviado. «¡Bendito sea Dios!», dijo, y enseguida cambió de tono:

    -Tranquilos. Vamos a ver qué hacemos.

    Una hora después, en la madrugada fragante del otoño toscano, todos emprendieron el largo viaje de regreso a Colombia.

    La familia Turbay, angustiada por la falta de noticias de Diana una semana después de su viaje, solicitó una gestión oficiosa del gobierno a través de las principales organizaciones guerrilleras. Una semana después de la fecha en que Diana debía haber regresado, el esposo de ella, Miguel Uribe, y el parlamentario Álvaro Leyva, hicieron un viaje confidencial a la Casa Verde, el cuartel general de las Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia (FARC) en la cordillera oriental. Desde allí se pusieron en contacto con la totalidad de las organizaciones armadas para tratar de establecer si Diana estaba con alguna de ellas. Siete lo negaron en un comunicado conjunto.

    Sin saber a qué atenerse, la presidencia de la república alertó a la opinión pública contra la proliferación de comunicados falsos, y pidió que no creyeran más en ellos que en las informaciones del gobierno. Pero la verdad grave y amarga era que la opinión pública creía sin reservas en los comunicados de los Extraditables, así que todo el mundo dio un suspiro de alivio el 30 de octubre -a sesenta días del secuestro de Diana Turbay y a cuarenta y dos del de Francisco Santos- cuando aquéllos disiparon las últimas dudas con una sola frase:

    «Aceptamos públicamente tener en nuestro poder a los periodistas desaparecidos». Ocho días después fueron secuestradas Maruja Pachón y Beatriz Villamizar. Había razones de sobra para pensar que la escalada tenla una perspectiva todavía mucho más amplia.

    Al día siguiente de la desaparición de Diana y su equipo, y cuando aún no existía ni la mínima sospecha de que habían sido secuestrados, el célebre director de noticias de la Radio Caracol, Yamit Amat, fue interceptado por un comando de sicarios en una calle del centro de Bogotá, después de varios días de seguimiento. Amat se les escapó de las manos por una maniobra atlética que los tomó por sorpresa, y se salvó nadie sabe cómo de un disparo que le hicieron por la espalda. Con una diferencia de horas, la hija del ex presidente Belisario Betancur, María Clara -en compañía de su hija Natalia, de doce años- logró escapar en su automóvil cuando otro comando de secuestros le bloqueó el paso en un barrio residencial de Bogotá. La única explicación de estos dos fracasos es que los secuestradores tuvieran instrucciones terminantes de no matar a sus víctimas.

    Los primeros que habían sabido a ciencia cierta quién tenía a Maruja Pachón y a Beatriz Villamizar, fueron Hernando Santos y el ex presidente Turbay, porque el propio Escobar lo  mandó decir por escrito a través de uno de sus abogados a las cuarenta y ocho horas del secuestro: «Puedes decirles que el grupo tiene a la Pachón». El 12 de noviembre hubo otra confirmación de soslayo por una carta con membrete de los Extraditables a Juan Gómez Martínez, director del diario El Colombiano de Medellín, que había mediado varias veces con Escobar en nombre de los Notables. «La detención de la periodista Maruja Pachón – decía la carta con membrete de los Extraditables- es una respuesta nuestra a las torturas y secuestros perpetrados en la ciudad de Medellín en los últimos días por parte del mismo organismo de seguridad del Estado muchas veces mencionado en anteriores comunicados nuestros.» Y expresaban una vez más su determinación de no liberar a ningún rehén mientras aquella situación continuara.


© 2015- - All Rights Reserved
SEO & Web Design Ottawa by ProLoyalWeb